Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just have to get an understanding for this... Or maybe I won't understand.

I was browsing around on twitch yesterday and noticed one dood for world of tanks... His online streaming schedule was from 10am to 6pm mon-fri... Obviously he doesn't have a job and his twitch also had a subscribe for $4.99...he also had personal backers that donated anywhere from $150 to $1300...

Im assuming he's not the only person with an online streaming schedule like this. So how is this possible? Clearly he can't make a living off streaming on twitchtv...so what? Living at his parents+no job? Living off welfare? Unemployment benefits? Sponsors? Works for war gaming who made wot?

I've read some gamers on line south Korea can actually make a decent living playing games... I highly doubt this is the case in the good Olde US of A...

I'd love to hear some people's opinions or people chime in that actually might do this.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Here is a site that talks about all the different ways streamers make money and throws some numbers around. While there is not one set formula to see how much these gamers/pros make, this gives you an idea. There are basically three major revenue streams. Subscribers, Donations, and Ad revenue. Each revenue stream differs between each streamer, but that's basically it. Depending on who you are talking about, Pro's can make more streaming than they would playing in tournaments easy...

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/twitch-streaming-money-careers-destiny/

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
You can make enough money off of streaming to buy a mansion in the Hollywood Hills...

IIRC, you collect ~$3.80 of the $5 sub fee, and that is per month. Plenty of people have 10,000 subs easily, so that's at least $38,000 per month before taxes. They also have donations, stores (T-Shirts, hats, etc), and of course the ad revenue which has a much higher payout than YT ad revenue.

If you can pull it off, it is very profitable.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
By adding up the numbers and applying the $3/$2 split from Twitch, we see that Lirik would be making $18,000 a month solely from subscribers. That adds up to $216,000 a year-which is, remember, just an estimate on my part.
Guess I didn't need my 4 year degree... Just a good mouse, monitor, and internet connection.
doh.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts