Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for something I can use at work (no gaming silly look). Something smaller is ok. Needs to be "silent". I know this all depends on the user however. My brown switch on my Corsair K70 are a tad noisy but I guess it shouldn't be too bad...

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixsis View Post

I put together a custom WASD keyboard a few years back for work and now have 3 of them (one at work , two at home). That would be my suggestion.
Thanks some one at work suggested that but it's kinda expensive. Budget is max 100$.

·
KEYBOARD KONNOISSEUR
1,572 Posts
I'm assuming you don't want MX Blues because they are clicky. Do you want to stay with MX Browns?

If you can get your budget to ~$120 then I would highly recommend the Leopold FC900R (if you want full-size)

It comes with PBT keycaps so they will never fade or shine like some ABS keycaps, Genuine MX Brown switches and overall is built very well.

If you wanted something more mainstream and easier to find, the PBT MasterKeys Pro is also a great choice, they make a TKL and Fullsize version, both are under $100 and come with PBT keycaps.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazah View Post

I'm assuming you don't want MX Blues because they are clicky. Do you want to stay with MX Browns?

If you can get your budget to ~$120 then I would highly recommend the Leopold FC900R (if you want full-size)

It comes with PBT keycaps so they will never fade or shine like some ABS keycaps, Genuine MX Brown switches and overall is built very well.

If you wanted something more mainstream and easier to find, the PBT MasterKeys Pro is also a great choice, they make a TKL and Fullsize version, both are under $100 and come with PBT keycaps.
Thanks, any suggestion for one that has no number pad?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Was heavily considering the Cooler Master base PBT option (MasterKeys/Master Keys Pro), but decided to pull the trigger on a $40 deal on the Logitech K840. Will have to see how well it works with my workflow...
I spend most of my day configing loud switches and routers sitting on my desk, so I doubt that the audible clicking will be much of an issue. Personally I really like the middle ground layout of the CM MasterKeys Pro M, so who knows? Maybe I'll end up picking that up down the road. Will report back on my personal experience.
Edit:
As fun as a TKL keyboard sounds for all of the minimalists, I picked one up for home and even at home I punch in far too many IP addresses to be reduced to pecking at the top of my keyboard.

·
New to Coverlock.net
139 Posts
I use an AKBO Hacker k965p. It's a topre clone, just white and gray without backlight so it doesn't really stick out in an office environment.
Cost me a bunch to import it however it's smooth, doesn't make any more noise than the usual hp/dell/lenovo office keyboards and almost all of the colleagues who's had to type on it have been impressed by it. Even the old granny who works at accounting. Mad office respekt.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Quick update;
Got my K840 in and I almost don't believe it's even a mechanical keyboard. These Romer-G switches are so mushy I can't even tell when they've been activated, causing significant slowdowns with my typing, and even increased typos.
I'm not a mech KB expert, but I've owned 3, used a couple others, and been using them almost every day for approximately 6 years.
This is not the experience I'm used to.

But that's just the switch. Obviously the make or break of a keyboard, but switches are still personal preference.
The rest of the keyboard is well made, solidly built, heavy, inflexible, attractive, and professional.
The only real question I have is why not a proper Cap/Scroll/Num lock light setup? It's meant to be a professional keyboard, why can't we get a simple, informative light display for the people that constantly use these functions? Why do we need to instead waste space on a Windows lock that no one in an office environment would use? Why only two lights when you could easily fit all 4 if you wanted to?

I'll use it at work for awhile, but I already expect to get fed up with it and replace with the MasterKeys Pro M.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts