Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone

I acquired a NZXT Rogue SFF case a couple of months back and I've been waiting to mod that one for a long time.. So here it goes..

What is this build all about ?

I intend to put an ATX mobo and a watercooling loop into the NZXT Rogue. More aptly everything on this techstation will be put into the rogue.

This build initially was supposed to be centered around a Thermaltake Lanbox. (I saw Syrillian's Lan Box and decided to do one myself. During the course of my research I found an other NZXT Rogue Mod on bit-tech.net, After that my focus mostly shifted to the Rogue.)

Why call it ANT ?

Simply because its going to be really small.

Alright enough.. Can we get to the details now ?

Yes Sure.. Everything inside the techstation will move into the case. My intentions are to have everything internal. The Motherboard tray in the rogue will be removed and an ATX tray will be used instead. the back panel of the Rogue will be have to be modded.

What to expect during the course of this mod.?

1. A fully painted chassis (Duplicolor Mirage)
2. Laser Cut custom acrylic side panels.
3. Laser Cut Custom acrylic Top Panel.
4. Cable Sleeving
5. A little bondo work

Progress on the mod might be a little slow. Although I have all the hardware tools and resources ready. Time is short

Thanks for Looking,
-wasted

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over the weekend I put together some concept renders using Sketchup. (Mostly because I wasnt feeling well and couldn't do much but sit in front of the PC)
This is my first interaction with Sketchup, so please forgive me if something is amiss.

This is how everything will be placed.

-wasted

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefyweef View Post
Awesome, I would simply to have a LQ lan case, would be so awesome to show off! Very nice, I hope you will be able to fit it all in there!

Thanks beefy, yes I am hoping to fit everything in there. Initial measurements/ mockups indicate that it is possible. I am just going to go for it.. and make small adjustments along the way

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiryu_Libra View Post
this will be fantastic

Oh yes it will

Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler View Post
youre "bringing shmexi back"

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well its time for another small update.. I worked on making some designs for the side panels and the top panels. I am not very artistic so the concepts look kinda plain and boring
. But I am hoping that these will look real good when cut out of solar gray/ bronze acrylic.

This is the side panel that will hold the radiator. I am hoping to get the word "ANT" etched on the panel. The slots are all 5mm in width and they will be spaced 5mm from each other. I might just go ahead and reduce the distance between 2 slots..
Some slots are smaller in length than the others because of the rad mounting holes.

This is the other side panel.. it will be the same as the other side except for the radiator holes and the odd smaller cut.

This is the top panel. This spans almost the length of the entire top panel of the rogue. The horizontal slots will allow the PSU to breathe..

Comments/ Suggestions are more than welcome

Thanks for looking,
-wasted

·
Registered
664 Posts
Off topic, but I like the renders of your set up from sketch up. I use it for ARCH and Art class, and I still have trouble with it. For your first encounter with it, it's really good. Nice job.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler View Post
how are you cutting the slots in the acrylic?
Lazer Cutters FTW
. I sent my renders to a laser cutter near my place and they said it was doable

Quote:

Originally Posted by Su77en187 View Post
Off topic, but I like the renders of your set up from sketch up. I use it for ARCH and Art class, and I still have trouble with it. For your first encounter with it, it's really good. Nice job.

Thanks
. I've had my fair share of troubles with sketchup , but patience was the key.. a little googling and lots of tries made it possible

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler
View Post

sweet on the laser cutters. I need to try that some time

Yes hopefully they will look good. The one near my place is a little expensive though. $140/ hr and they will charge you for an hour minimum. I have the renders ready now, I'll have to call them and ask for details . I also need to ask them if I can stay at the shop for the duration of the cutting

All this is taking a while because I am also doing the renders for my next two projects and getting them all cut at once. The cuts for ANT will take only about 15mins. I might as well get all the other stuff cut because I am paying for the whole hour.

Time for an other update . I reduced the distance between 2 slots. They are now at 2.5mm . Imo these look a little better

Thanks for looking,

-wasted

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've always loved the Rogue case. Newegg had the blue LED version on sale obscenely cheap a while back. I almost snagged one just to have.

Nice Plans Wasted. Looking forward to this one.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warfarin88
View Post

I've always loved the Rogue case. Newegg had the blue LED version on sale obscenely cheap a while back. I almost snagged one just to have.

Nice Plans Wasted. Looking forward to this one.

Thanks Warf, This is a very good case. Its a shame they didnt put an ATX tray in it. (It can comfortably accommodate one)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedex1993
View Post

Man defently gonna sub to this, I wanted someone to do a rouge case mod

You wont be dissapointed

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamikaze127
View Post

I think that RAM is going to give you a bit of a tough time, otherwise everything looks good.

He he , yes you caught it.. I will have to flip the heatsinks around... to make them fit properly.. They do fit now.. but There's barely any space between the rad and the RAM. If you notice the left hand side of the heatsink is a little shorter and the right hand side extends beyond the RAM stick itself. Flipping it was my easiest solution...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Wasted,

I own one of these, and while looking for mods and so forth I came across a mod over at Bitech forums. You can put an ATX sized MB in the case with some slight modifications, and with your skill I don't think it would take very long. If not the DFI mATX's JR's are very nice boards.

Great case btw, love the case and I will be using mine for a spare system and HTPC for my 42" Sharp! I will continue to monitor this thread!! Good luck and I like your idea's so far.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.