Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8a08d0c3_lan-03.jpeg

So I decided to finally get some work one on my desk.

Phase 1 is complete which consisted of creating the basic structure.

Phase 2 is complete which consisted of upgrading the structure and staining the desk

Phase 3 is complete which consisted of moving the desk in to my new place

AutoCAD model for anyone interested:

axi-desk.zip 41k .zip file

Now for some pictures since that's all anyone really cares about.

Phase 1:

Picking up supplies from Home Depot and loading in my car:

Tools of the trade:

Simple ABS 1 1/2" Pipe Cap used to connect the legs/supports:

Starting on installing Pipe Caps:

Main Platform complete and pipe caps mounted for secondary platform:

Finished Phase 1

Lights on/off shots of the desk in use in its current state:

Phase 2:

Loading some more supplies in to the trusty car

Building the new legs

Starting to stain the desk parts

Finally done staining

~36 hours of drying time

First coat of Polyurethane

Second coat of Polyurethane

Close-up of the satin finish, not completely dry yet

Finally put back together

Close-up of the finish, much nicer than I expected, far from professional though.

Phase 3:

The desk's new home

Unloaded

Project Maple Leaf set up

A little shot of downstairs

That's all for now
biggrin.gif

Any and all feedback is welcomed

Attachments

·
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooKnight View Post

NICE!
Thanks
smile.gif

Quote:

whats the dimensions on your ply wood so I can copy you
biggrin.gif
62" x 24" for the main platform
62" x 14" for the secondary platform

·
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

right on thanks!
No problem

·
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated first post with AutoCAD model.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Holy simply yet effective game plan. Good thinkin'

·
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClownie View Post

Holy simply yet effective game plan. Good thinkin'
Thanks
biggrin.gif

That was definitely the goal of this project, I wanted Eyefinity capable desk, and a place for my speakers and receiver, and I wanted to do it as simply as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Nice start and looking good. But that piece of ply your monitors are upon, Im dis-liking the bow in that. If your satisfied then good, but I would of used mdf over ply any day.

·
Banned
441 Posts
That bowing can be easily solved if he adds two more legs in the middle of the smaller piece. How thick is that plywood? If you check out my eyefinity desk build I'm not using any legs just 2x4s screwed into studs. I ended up having to add another 2x4 in the front cause it was bowing too. I used 3/4ths thick plywood for mine. Any ways looks good! I like the idea of the lifted platform but with those U2312Ms don't the stands adjust?

·
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwm View Post

Nicely done
thumb.gif
Thanks
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti View Post

Nice start and looking good. But that piece of ply your monitors are upon, Im dis-liking the bow in that. If your satisfied then good, but I would of used mdf over ply any day.
I looked at MDF but I'm looking for a unique finish and paying the premium for MDF wasn't worth it for me since I'll be adding my own finish. So just basic plywood works for now, but thanks for the suggestion, someone else attempting this might be better off using MDF if they aren't going to do a Carbon Fiber Wrap like I want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestito View Post

That bowing can be easily solved if he adds two more legs in the middle of the smaller piece. How thick is that plywood? If you check out my eyefinity desk build I'm not using any legs just 2x4s screwed into studs. I ended up having to add another 2x4 in the front cause it was bowing too. I used 3/4ths thick plywood for mine. Any ways looks good! I like the idea of the lifted platform but with those U2312Ms don't the stands adjust?
I used 5/8" Plywood. And as for the bowing, just measured it, the main platform sags about 1/8" in the middle, and the top platform sags 3/8" in the middle.

I'm still thinking of switching to 3/4" Plywood, and I probably will add 2 more supports on either side of my Receiver but centered on the the second platform rather than all the way at the back. I'll also probably add 1 or 2 more supports for the main platform, then add cross-members about 8" above the floor between the 5 or 6 legs.

They're actually U2212HM's, and they do have an adjustable stand, currently they're at their lowest height. With the lifted platform I have just over 3" between my receiver and the platform to allow for some heat dissipation from the receiver and the monitors are at perfect height. My eye level is almost exactly 3/4 up the screen itself on the monitor. And I found something weird, when I do Eyefinity in Landscape mode, I get no flickering on the monitor connected via DVI, but in portrait mode, I get flickering on the 3rd monitor. So AMD must have some taken a shortcut for Eyefinity in combination with screen rotation that adds screen tear, kind of sad on AMD's part in my opinion.

So I'm currently 95% sold on 3M Carbon Fiber Wrap, but unsure on color:

·
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezo View Post

Definitely the black or graphite carbon would look the best IMO.

Great desk, will be cool to see the carbon finish.
Thanks, and I still have some "structural" changes to make and still need to add the top shelf. It's definitely a work in progress lol.

·
Banned
441 Posts
I still have to paint my 2x4's black but I think maybe carbon fiber wrap is a good alternative. How do you plan to stick the wrap onto the wood? Does it just stick to anything when heated up?

·
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestito View Post

I still have to paint my 2x4's black but I think maybe carbon fiber wrap is a good alternative. How do you plan to stick the wrap onto the wood? Does it just stick to anything when heated up?
Well the plywood I used has little 3/4" holes in it that are maybe 1/8" deep in a grid across both side so first I'll fill those with wood glue, then put a couple layers of primer on, light sanding, then the wrap. I don't want to risk wrapping the whole thing to have it bubble in spots because it doesn't hold to the rough surface of the wood.

I've never actually used the carbon wrap, so if anyone else has any tips, I'm happy to hear them.

·
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebacanezer View Post

Desk is simple yet effective, I love it. Do you have any wobble with the main legs? Also, how much (roughly) did this run you time and money wise?
Thanks, and there is a little wobble, but I have to actually try to push on the desk. I think I'm at about $60 right now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Alright cool thanks for the feedback. Did you ever think about replacing the plastic tubing with metal ones? I am looking to build my next desk and love what you have here, but I would feel much more comfortable with metal tubing.

Any plans to add shelving or drawers to your desk?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts