Overclock.net banner

[Project] Build Log: Arcane

11855 Views 92 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Zero4549
**This is a build log for an entire computer, not only a case. If this is the wrong section I am sorry. Feel free to move to wherever is more appropriate**

As you may already know or have guessed, Arcane is the name I have chosen for my next computer.

Arcane will be a high end multi-use Core i7 based system housed in a CM HAF 932 and cooled by a combination liquid and air cooling.

I am currently waiting on a few last components to arrive in the mail and my SSD boot drive to be restocked by newegg.

That said the HAF is here an I picked up a can of black Plasti Dip today so I'm ready to get started by "painting" the ugly grey interior a beautiful textured matte black. In addition to looking great the plasti dip should provide some noise and vibration dampening effects.

Unfortunatly, It rained all day today and I was unable to do my paint job but the forecast for tomorrow shows sun and I plan on using it. Wish me luck!

(I have no idea where my camera is. Hopefully I will find it soon, otherwise you'll just have to deal with these blurry phone pics
)

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's starting to dry up outside so it's time for some plasti dip. I've found my camera but it appears someone has jacked my xd card. I've borrowed another camera but it does not have a usb connection so I will have to upload the pics through a laptop which had a card reader later.

While you're waiting, here's a link to the specs

EDIT: I got a hold of said laptop, here are my initial photos

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it all out and gave it a nice textured coat of plasti dip. It's supposed to take about 4 hours to dry, unfortunately it started raining again and I had to bring it inside. Hopefully this will not cause any complications due to moving and poor ventilation. As you may have noticed in the last set of photos, I have blocked off a good portion of the interior from the paint. These areas are not visible when the case is closed and likely would not benefit from the sound/vibration dampening properties. Avoiding these areas allows me to easily prevent any installation complications. More shots to come once the stuff is dry.

For those of you wondering about how this stuff applies, it is excellent. No running, no bubbling. The instructions call for 14-16 inch spray distance but I found 6-8 inches to work just fine for thicker application. Note that I used only the spray type so far. More info once it dries.

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well its dry and it looks and feels great. It's a bit on the thin side however (very similar to a lightly applied coat of typical spray paint) and I may remove some of the tape I applied and give the entire case a quick thin overcoat tomorrow. No time for pics now so I'll update later when I get a chance.

EDIT: Pics added

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I woke up early this morning and gave it another thin coat, this time with most of the tape/paper removed. It's about dry now and looks even better. A couple tips for those who intend on using plasti dip:
-It drys VERY quickly in the cold, so quickly in fact that after a few min I had it drying on the spray head and causing it to squirt more than spray. On the up side, this could be a wise way to add extra texture and noise dampening properties providing you already have a smooth coat applied.

-It's very tough, flexible, and doesn't fall off. It will bend and stretch rather than scrape off. That said, be careful if you use tape like I did to mask off certain areas. If the coat is too thick, it will stay attached to the tape and start peeling away from the material it is sprayed on. Use a knife to cut the rubber along the edge of the tape before removing it or remove the tape immediately after applying the paint.

-The thicker an application, the smoother it's surface will be. If you want texture and a thick coat, use several thin layers and provide time between each to dry.
In other news, my RAM arrived today. The stuff is fricken huge! for a size comparison I captured an image of them over my laptop... Yes, three DIMMs laid out together are the size of a small laptop!

Oh and by the way I've thus far used maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of a can of spray applied Plasti Dip.

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mini update: All dry and ready to move on. I've reassembled the case (with exception of the fans that would have blocked the radiators) and took a few pics to show it in its assembled form before I load up the components. Also because I am replacing the fans with radiators, I have a few extra silver colored screws. I hit em with a quick blast of plasti-dip to color them black to match the rest of the case as they will be on the exterior (and maybe even make them slightly vibration resistant?
). They're drying up outside and hopefully will be ready soon.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem: I had originally planned to use fans and shrouds on both sides of each of my two radiators, however now that I have the items at hand, I see that I will only be able to fit one shroud and one fan (or two fans with no shrouds) on the radiator. I will have to consider the options in terms of dual fan or fan+shroud, and if i go the route of the shroud I'll have to decide weather to use a push or pull config. If anyone would like to help, please head over to the appropriate thread and leave me a post.

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All sorted, big thanks to ChielScape and Zippit. I will now be using a shrouded pull config for my 240mm res and a suitable pre-determined config for my 360mm depending on what will fit

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another Problem: The swiftech radbox does not want to cooperate with me. I may have to go back to the hardware store and get some better screws or something =/ These ones arnt long enough to mount even my 32mm fans never mind the shrouds and the radiator. What was swiftech thinking? Ok so granted I have a lot of hardware I'm hanging off this thing but that's no excuse for such short screws.

Oh... and here's the worlds ****tiest mock-up of my setup XD
LL

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problems with screws continue. The hardware store does not have all the correct screws I need. Additionally, the screw holes on my red led fan do not match up with the holes on the front of my HAF. This completely baffles me as another user was able to screw the same fan into his HAF in the same location with no modifications and it was on his suggestion that I tried the same. Hopefully I will be able to resolve these issues soon.

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still cant find any screws that fit, and custom orders have a minimum size of 100 pieces ._.

Don't suppose anyone is carrying a stockpile of oddly sized screws or has another solution

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO
View Post

I couldn't get the right size either so I got long ones and used nuts to shorten the end.

So many people also end up puncturing their rad so be careful.

I'm considering doing that for a few of the screws but some of them don't have room on either end due to placement.

As for the rad, that's the reason I'm being extra picky! In face i may have already slightly damaged by rad by dropping a screw in that was a bit loose for the hole. It fell all the way into the rad and just the pressure from me grabbing it and pulling it back out left a few little dents on the fins. It appears to be superficial though thankfully.

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, sweet progress at last! I've created some custom bolts for the magicool (240mm rad) and am waiting on the M4 threaded rods to arrive in the mail (which I will use to make bolts for the Black Ice GTX). I kind of like the industrial look of these bolts and am unsure if I want to use them as they are or apply a coat of black plasti dip. In the mean time, shrouds have been made

· Eh, Wha?
9,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Doh! Now I knwo why I couldnt get my tricool to fit up front. Welt and found the post that stated it was possible and read it over again closely:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMan47
View Post

As long as you keep the panels behind the bay covers in place, the holes that are predrilled in them line up perfectly with two holes on a 120mm fan. I was a little nervous about rattling, but it's silent. I took a pic closer up to help ya see what I'm talking about. Sorry, my camera sucks - no macro mode.

FYI - I used an Antec Tricool fan.

Yeah... I'm dumb. Well I'ma get to installing that now. I might just use some of the extra threaded bolt I have with a nut on either end to secure the remaining two holes to eliminate any vibrations.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.