Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people

i have never modded a case before let alone build one from scratch, however i thought sod it you gotta start from somewhere! lol
i'm building this for myself as i'm not confident with watercooling so i've gone for extreme air cooling.

I've used google's sketchup to design my case and as you could prob tell ive never used it before and theres a few things i couldnt work out how to do so ive left them blank. ive added the pics as attachments (sorry they are a little small
but you can still see them properly)

Basically the large fan on the side is 360mm which will expell all the hot air from inside the case. there are an aditional 2 120mm fans ontop and another 120mm fan on the front & back to circulate the air inside the case, this set up i hope will keep the case extremely cool and the 360mm fan on the side should only need to spin at about 600rpm to be efficient therfore not creating to much noise (in theory).
the sides of the case will be removable. The large hole on the front of the case is where the 5.2" and 3.2" bays will be but i cant work out how to draw them properly on sketchup hence why its a hole at the moment.

there thats pretty much my explanation of my idea. This project will take me some time to complete as of yet i dont have anywhere to build it because im looking for somewhere to live
. Now as for materials i was thinking of just using sheet aluminium as its easy to get hold of and easy to use.

Thats all for now. your comments are very welcome and if you live in UK and can help me with my fan problem pm me lol

Edit: Had a few changes in my design (highlighted in blue) for those who didn't know my original plan, it was to have a 17" fan but that will now be a 360mm fan, plus there was going to be 3 80mm fans on top but they are now 120mm's and there will only be 2, and finally I couldn't work out how to make the entire insides slide out of the back so I've gone for a standard thing of removable side panels

edit2: Most current picture

·
Premium Member
20,575 Posts
Nice concept. I would think that the side fan should be intake though. Having air blown onto the motherboard (and NB and GPU's) provides that most benefit in terms of temps.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar
View Post

Nice concept. I would think that the side fan should be intake though. Having air blown onto the motherboard (and NB and GPU's) provides that most benefit in terms of temps.

thats what i thought at 1st but then i was thinking that if i have 1 big fan sucking air in will that not create to much pressure inside the case for the other fans to deal with blowing out?

·
Premium Member
20,575 Posts
All I can say from experience is that when I have had door fans in the side of cases (like the one in the pic below, which had a reversible fan) is that intake dropped all temps (CPU, GPU and NB) by a significant amount over when I had it set to exhaust.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
yep, the bigger you can go the better since you can lower the rpm's, reducing noise, and still move the same air with good pressure

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nub View Post
Have you considered making it a little wider and putting another large fan on the other side of the mb as an exhaust?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfb412 View Post
i was gonna suggest this

i was thinking about it, but im gonna wait untill i make the 1st fan to see how thick it will be, i dont want the case to be too big and bulky

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
a 120 motor could not run that fan and you cant run it off a 12vdc psu. you could feed it separate ac tho, but that fan is overkill for anything pc related mate (imho)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.