Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first worklog so bear with me.
Anyway I have a Cooler Master Cosmos S which I've got to say I love, but I changed from a HAF 932 to this case because of the problem with noise & dust.
But there is just one thing I miss about the HAF is the cable management.
So after running this rig now for two months now I thought I'd get the dremel out & cut away, which brings me to a few other changes I'd like to do.
To make things simple for those of you reading I'll do a list.

1, strip down
2, cut holes/slots for cable management
3, send chassis away for powder coating

There is more but I'll add as time goes on, not sure how long it will be from start to finish, but the powder coating takes two weeks so we'll see.
Right here are some pic's of what I have done today so enjoy I let me know what you think.

There we go day 1 over with, thank for looking!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Good luck with the project. I, too, own a Cosmos S and I'll be looking at your project to get some ideas for my rig

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrienspawn
View Post

Nice clean job!

May I suggest one more hole for the 8-pin CPU power?

I'm not going to make a hole foe the 8-pin as I'm going to feed it through the cpu hole I cut, I did think about it, but it will interfear with the latch for the side panel. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

Thanks for all the comments so far

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramsey77 View Post
Hmmm. This looks familiar to me! A fellow Cosmos modder!....Is the latch mechanism set up differently in the "S" model? The hole I cut in mine was right next to it, but didn't interfere with it. Just wondering. Awesome job so far.

+rep

Thanks!

Yeah, if I was to cut a hole for the 8-pin it would be right in line with the latch.
All tho, thinking about it I could do it lower so the hole was behind the motherboard & bring the 8-pin up & over. what do you think?

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Great job, i just did the same thing to my nine hundred. You might want to line the holes with something to prevent any wires being cut by the edges. unless you sanded it down thoroughly.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellraiser1981 View Post
Thanks!

Yeah, if I was to cut a hole for the 8-pin it would be right in line with the latch.
All tho, thinking about it I could do it lower so the hole was behind the motherboard & bring the 8-pin up & over. what do you think?
The problem you might have is that there's not enough space behind the motherboard. Also, I recommend really watching it cuz there's the pointy ends behind the board which could cut through the plastic that covers the wires and then its metal on metal with 12v of power.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Banned
11,146 Posts
I like it so far mate!

+;D

• Rep+
Reactions: Hellraiser1981

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm planning on doing this to my Cosmos S later this spring/summer. I got a whole laundry list of things I'm going to do to it. Powder Coating also one of them.

Couple of questions, did you have to de-rivet anything when you stripped it down like that? How easy was the take down process?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm planning on doing this to my Cosmos S later this spring/summer. I got a whole laundry list of things I'm going to do to it. Powder Coating also one of them.

Couple of questions, did you have to de-rivet anything when you stripped it down like that? How easy was the take down process?
Hello! Taking this case apart was a piece of cake, there was a total of 6 screws (on the top) & the rest was clips, just be carefull with the clips as they were hard to to unclip & you could snap them with to much force.
But no, I didn't have to de-rivet anything, I did strip the latch bar which again were a few screws.
Hope this helps & if you have any more questions please do ask.

Anyway not much to report today, will post some pic's of all the parts that will be powder coating as I've added a few parts to pile

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Back again, here are some pic's of the parts I've sent off for powder coating.
I'm not saying the colour at the moment as it'll be fun keeping you all waiting, any way the pic's

I'll put a list of parts for you & also for my ref (just in case!)
1, Chassis x1 part
2, Harddrive cage x3 parts
3, Both side panel surports x8 parts

I'm thinking about watercooling the motherboard, but we'll see how much it will cost (& if the wife will let me
)

·
Banned
11,146 Posts
local comp! sounds fun! tell us if you win

EDIT: I failed hard lol

1 - 20 of 52 Posts