Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright!

This is my first worklog. I bought my initial system about 6 months ago now. Ive decided its time for an overhaul. Well, to tell the truth my cpu shat itself pretty hard and is being replaced by intel as we speak. Not to mention, the mobo had to be sent of because the system temps where running crazy! So i thought it would be a good opportunity to change some things I really didn't like. I have decided to split up my work into a few stages.

Current pictures!

*CHECK OUT THE INITIAL SYSTEM BUILD COMPLETE PHOTOSHOOT!!*
http://www.overclock.net/intel-build...ml#post7107757

Stage 1: Finish modding case with lights, ssm and cable management. *COMPLETE*
1.2 -> Utilize further cable management with heatshrink/cable wrap

1.3 -> Exchange rear case fan

1.4 -> Murdermod sleeving installed
-> So much fun!!!
1.5 -> Paint Blu-ray drive!

1.6 -> Custom front panel for my case??? Designs coming soon!

Stage 2: Install new hardware. *COMPLETE*
2.2 -> Give each graphics card a hug

2.3 -> Initial System Complete Photoshoot!!!
- CHECK IT OUT ON PAGE 3!!!

Stage 3: Run the benchmarks and be impressed. *COMPLETE*
3.2 -> Run single gpu bench - attempt to hit 3.8, 4 & 4.2ghz stable with new cpu

3.3 -> Run SLI benchmarks

Stage 4: Buy watercooling system from Koolance and install.
4.2 -> Obtain waterfall reservoir from Cyberdruidpc from OCN.net!!
AMAZING!

Stage 5: Run the benchmarks and start to worship machine.

Now this is my system atm:
Core i7 920 @ 2.66Ghz (Broken)
Gigabyte Ex-58 Extreme
G.Skill 6gb ddr3 1600Mhz PI
Asus ENGTX 285 1gb
Corsair tx750w
V8 CPU cooler
No ram cooler
Gigabyte 3D Aurora

This is the goal:
Core i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz (Fixed!) *OBTAINED*
Gigabyte Ex-58 EXTREME -> Getting fixed under warranty.... OC'd this and the cpu to death
*OBTAINED!!!*
G.Skill 6gb ddrr3 2000Mhz Trident *OBTAINED*
An additional Asus 285 in SLI! *OBTAINED*
Coolermaster UCP 1100W *OBTAINED*
Same cpu cooler till WC system
G.skill Turbulence Ram cooler *OBTAINED*
Lian Li - Dark Armor K62 *OBTAINED*
Murdermod Sleeving Kit *OBTAINED*
Cyberdruidpc 3 Bay reservoir! *OBTAINED*
KOOLANCE Watercooling CPU-350 + 2x 285 Rev.2 Waterblocks!
KOOLNACE Pump + 3x120mm Radiator!!
REAR Mounting Bracket!!

Other random system info, using 2x 1tb western digital green in Raid 0 + a 500gb hard drive. Blu-Ray burner as well.

Im planning on getting a full Koolance watercooling system, except ill be using the EK 150 reservoir 3-BAY WATERFALL RESERVOIR from Cyberdruidpc!!!. This is alot more expensive than alot of the other kits you can get, but I really want to try it out.

I will try an provide as many pictures as possible as each of the items arrive in the mail.

The most important thing as well, any and all feedback is welcome. Ideas, thoughts, good or bad, please let me know. Alot of the ideas employed in my system came from OCN already.

Hope you all enjoy watching me build my comp

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few issues popped up while i was trying to get all the gear into my case. I really need to address the issue of damn ugly molex cables and every other cable for that matter! Here is some kit that arrived however

Note: My young bonsai tree is employed for both morale + breathing support!

Ive decided to buy some black or blue cable heatshrink in the hope that this will fix up all that mess.

In the next couple of days ill go and pick up all the heavy hardware and start the real fun.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Wow could youplease explain that x power thing to me in PM
It looks interesting

also I love the give gpus a hug and the plant part very funny

A+

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkice
View Post

Wow could youplease explain that x power thing to me in PM
It looks interesting

Its just a molex power splitter with some super fancy and cool bright blue leds

Now I had myself a massive breakthrough today. Intel had said they where happy to replace my bogus i7 and swap it @ the place of resale which made me, a very, very happy chap.

My bonsai and my new CPU

I should be getting my hands on most of the other hardware next week and running some real nice benchmarks with that SLI setup!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my brand new Coolermaster 1100w UCP and my G.Skill turbulance fan to go with those super huge heatsinks on my ram!

Its got a really nice bright blue LED fan and just putting your hand under on the ram, you can feel how cold the sticks now are! Temp screens and pics will follow!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay! Got myself some really cool packages in the mail today! First off was my Aizen Souskuke zanpakto replica sword for my cosplay outfit
. Second, was the murdermod sleeving kit!!

This is the first time ive ever pulled apart power inputs, let alone sleeved a psu, however everything was very straightforward and easy and a quick test after I finished the first day of sleeving ensured everything still works!

I feel they look good
hopefully OCN feels the same

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive now sleeved almost everything except the bloody sata power cables (uuugggghhhh couldnt pull these ones apart on the 1100w UCP without killing something) and I have to say, it has been quite the learning experience.

Looking closely @ my sleeving quality, I can safely say if I was to sleeve another PSU or redo this one, it would turn out 100 times better.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the new case arriving I had to get to work!! The deadline to get everything together is by mid next month! Work work!

After sleeving everything within the cathode kit I worked out the side panel was the best spot to stick em. Ive left plenty of spare cable so you can remove the door and unhook/rehook the light easily!

Pics of sleeved front usb/on/off switch, case with and without HDs and media drives!

The Case with the cathodes on! Nice and blue
Just what I was after!

Everything is ready to be put in now!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AB501UT!0N View Post
Its all looking really nice so far, I have got the same case and the exact same bits power x stations as well! =p good luck with the build =)
Thanks mate! Yeh hanging out to get my hands on my bloody mobo again

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I was pissed off because my mobo still hasn't returned from the warranty repair, so I grabbed the other i7 system Ive got and thought Id do some hands on testing with my sexy case!!

The other system has the following:
- i7 920 D0
- Gigabyte UD3P
- Gigabyte GTS 250
- 4gb Patriot 1600Mhz

I just wanted to really see how well the cable management worked out.

Now here is the very well hidden mobo 8 pin, the front devices cables and the mobo 24 pin

I feel i still need to tighten up the mobo pin (and fix up one of the sleeves that got scratched open
) because its seems to be extremely wide! Cable ties ftw??

Hopefully I can get some proper pics with my full setup soon! These 2x 285s dont like being kept in their boxes... I can hear their screams at night....

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FINALLY! Got my mobo back from warranty repair and have been a bit busy all of today doing some initial single gpu test runs, trying to get a good OC with my awesome setup!

I was able to get 3.8Ghz with a very little 1.12v Vcore. From that point on the voltage jumps got a bit crazy.

I hit 4ghz with 1.218v, then was finally able to hit the magical 4.2ghz, with a 200x21 and Vcore @ 1.31 (tiny bit high but I'm still wrapped!) The cpu temp was maxing @ 64*C with air cooling (at this point
) which made me extra happytard!!!

The cpu @ this clock gave my system a punch through the 15k 3D Vantage barrier as well

These results are super exciting for me as I was never able to get above 4ghz with my last i7 because C0 = death. Just to hit 4ghz it took 1.4v+ to get it stable. Trying for 4.2ghz with that chip killed the cpu

These are just some quick tests that Ive done and ill be doing a full 24 hour stress test (@ 3.8Ghz & 4Ghz) + SLI benchmarks in the next couple of days! No doubt 2x 285s should really punch a massive hole into this score!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I randomly came up with the idea to try and create a custom front panel for my k-62 today and have spent most of the day trying to work out how I would go about it.

So far, its scribble, with the only certainty being I want it to be a sheet of metal/aluminum, with "GOLIATH" cut out on the left side running down and "core i7 920" cut out as well. These cut outs will be illuminated by blue LEDs shinning through from behind the plate. As soon as I get decent pics ill try and upload them!!

For now, ill just show you guys what ive also been up to today! Nothin fancy, just something I really wanted to try!!

Now my blu-ray burner is nice and hidden in my case

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
It looks like you have chosen good parts for a quality build, and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts