Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Project Deep Blue

This project stems from the need of a bigger case to fit all of my hardware in. I’m currently using a Casecom mid tower with my radiator hanging off the back.

I acquired the “new†case from a friend, he was more than happy to sell it for me. It is basically a very old server case which used to house an old Pentium 3. It’s perfect for me because it’s absolutely huge, so will serve me well for the future.

My main aim for this project is to get the case looking good whilst still being able to house my water cooling gear. The outside will be painted flat black with perhaps a blue stripe running down the front of the case. The inside will be white with blue highlights.

After a big break I am back, working a lot but i will try to do as much work on it as possible.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update 1 - Stripping of the Case

The beige box in all its glory. The pictures tell the story.

It came with a bit of hardware included, a PIII.

All the hardware pulled out and plastics taken off.

Lots of room behind the motherboard tray, good for lots of cable management.

Removable motherboard tray is a bonus.

As stripped down as it gets without using a drill.

I will be cutting out alot of the front to get greater airflow.

The small 3.25" hard drive caddy, dont know if i will use this or make something more elegant.

Lots of photos there, I will probably start doing some modifications tomorrow. I will start by getting rid of any unnecessary air flow inhibitors and perhaps create a few fan mount points and even a spot for the radiator. Stay tuned

·
Registered
158 Posts
man that is som old school beauty u got there
i got one just like yours with the removal mobo tray and both side panels in one piece right?

cept its a mid tower but i kept it and put my old hardware in for folding
my old pc was a prebuild one basically with a cheap ass case made of poor alu, the thing is soo danm weak. these one were real stuff made with a strong steel chassis and weights a ton lolol
im definitely gonna sub this, im confident on this mod

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on creating a new front for the case. Most likely i will use clear acrylic painted on one side with black and blue. Then have the non painted side facing outside, I have already tested this whilst doing a different project and it ended up looking very nice.

I'm not quite sure what you mean molino but my motherbpard tray and side panels are different pieces. I know what you mean about weak cases, they can be really annoying.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah this one has two separate side panels, i know what you are talking about though. They were a pain in the ass getting them on.

I have cleared out the top 80mm fan grills and so far have made one 120mm fan mount and hole in the front. Will update once pictures are uploaded.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update 2 - Air Flow

As it is the case has very poor ventilation, so far i have cleared the top 80mm fan grills and have added one of the two 120mm fan holes at the front. I will also be putting another hole above the motherboard I/O shield. That along with where the 80mm fan grills used to be i will put in some mesh to help keep prying fingers out.

My tool of choice for cutting out big chunks of metal.

The dual 80mm fan holes cleared.

Fan mounting holes drilled and getting ready to mark where the large hole is to go.

The end result, i cut out a big chunk in the middle initially with the angle grinder but did the outer edge with the jigsaw to make it more neat. I have since cleaned up the hole with a file.

I still have to do several more holes, not to mention i still need to mark out where i will put the radiator and cut out the air flow holes for that. Stay tuned, i will have another update for you today

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nzgroller View Post
this old case looks massive, and i can't wait for your marvelous results
Yeah it is huge, I think its slightly larger than a full tower, though i might cut it down a little bit. Still not sure on how it will end up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebus101 View Post
nice flanno! lol
Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitally View Post
wow, very nice... cant wait for results

Thanks for the support.

Okay hawk, one will be coming your way as soon as i get the photos uploaded.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update 3 - Case Cutting

I got the second 120mm fan opening done on the front, i also got rid of a floppy drive holder up the top in preparation of getting the radiator holes cut.

I gave the front of the case a once over with the grinder to shine it up a bit. I was going to have two separate holes for the fans but the metal in between them stretched and wouldnt lie flat, it doesnt really matter i suppose.

There were some brackets to mount a floppy drive here so i cut them off with the angle grinder. The radiator will be mounted here at the top.

I now think i need to pull my radiator off in order to get the right hole spacing and positioning right. That means taking my main pc offline which im not keen to do. I will most likely have another update today but it might take a bit longer for this one. Stay tuned.

1 - 20 of 338 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.