Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just got my stuff ordered and it's hopefully on it's way.

But pretty much I am taking a standard Desktop case and putting brushed alumin vinyl on the outisde to give it some more "flair" so to speak

Starting out with a Vtech 500C Desktop Case

Then skin it with this type of vinyl

This LCD for Temp/Fan monitors - Matrix Orbital's MX2

Multi-function Panel -top black one

http://www.xpcgear.com/enermaxuc7s.html

Pretty much in the end it will hopefully look like this, it'll probably a little darker

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Looks pretty good. All those LCD displays are going to detract from the look, though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Working on turning my XP2400+ OC'd system into a HTPC setup also... Don't need much more than that to run any dvd or video output... a good tv card for recording and HD output, and a BFG6800 Ultra OC pushing the graphix output for a bit of classic console gaming in just about everything before Battle for Middle Earth.

Looking forward to seeing it on the 42"!!!
)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the Brushed Aluminum Vinyl in today and I must say it looks a lot better than I had excpected.

What also nice about vinyl and not real brushed aluminum is that there wont be any smudges if I touch it and clean up is a breeze.

Case is coming tomorrow So I can work on that when it comes, The fan controller is coming on Monday and no status yet on my Matrix Orbital LCD

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I started with putting the vinyl on today and it wasnt as hard as I thought. The only hard part is the front since it has a lot of grooves and cuves and holes in it.

But I started out with the top and traced out the required size. I used an Exacto knife to cut the traced out square.

I then placed the vinyl on the top of the case becasue I figure it's easier to jsut use a ruler to cut the outline rather than trying to cut it and try to get it in the center. So I used a metal ruler to cut the width of the ruler as my outline and the top ended up like this, which it's very hard to tell that its vinyl but rather it looks like an actual insert.

I used the width of the ruler as the width of the outline so everything looks the same

I went to the sides next

And then did the same to the sides as I did the top

Since there are holes for vents I needed to somehow poke them out so I decided to cut an "X" in each hole and use a pen to make it a compete circle

What sucks is after it was done to get the holes perfect I had to use the pen to pry the sides to get the vinyl up against the case but by doing it so many times the pen top started to come apart and eventually got ink on the vinyl. That pretty much ruined that side, but it's not that hard and I put on another but I still need get the holes poked out.

So I did a test run with the front which turned out to look pretty bad but it gave me an idea of how to do it a second time and the second time turned a little better but it 's not totally perfect but you have ot get REALLY close in order to find the problems and so far this is how it looks on the outside

I did add another strip of vinyl to cover up that top area that looks kind of bad and it looks much better than that picture.

The 5.25" LCD and Fan Controller are coming hopefully Moday and I can start putting this bad boy together.

I'm still comtemplating whether I should put some blue CC's in there to give a glow coming from the inside of the case

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, well I screwed this one up but it was kind of a mistake on both parties. I got the 5.25" Drive today but it was in Silver. I ordered the wrong one even though in my Comment on ordering I said that I wanted the Black one because I didnt see the other listing, I figured it was 1 so I have to go through the RMA ****, which is going to put a hold on everything but I need my Sleeving to come in before I start anything becasue I want it nice and clean.

Hopefully it's not that big of a deal

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, I got in my fans, sleeving kit.

Now I'm still waiting for an F'ing RMA # from xPCgear...they can suck it for all i care as I'm not shopping there agian after not getting an RMA for a week..but I'm thinking about keeping the Silver 5.25 drive in at the bottom and putting 2 black ones on top

I'm going to attempt to put all the guts in so it'll be a ***** to get everything on and back in tonight but I should be able to do it and all I'm waiting for is the Matrix Orbital LCD

PICS WILL FOLLOW

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, seeing as the damn description said it would fit a PS/2 power supply mine doesnt fit, it's probably a quarter inch to wide. The project is being canceled but I 'm going to keep the case (maybe) for a HTPC whenever, I'll find some use for it.

All I need is a cheapo gpu and processor and I'd have one, but I sold my GPU and CPU to buy my monitor...eh whatever

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
that looks awesome! where did u get the vinyl??? it looks amazing u have inspired me to do something!!!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Action Trey!

hurry up and show some pictures...im tired of here what GONNA happen =\\ -trey

Not sure if you really read my post...the PSU doesn't fit, it too large by like a quarter inch maybe less. So there's really nothing lese I can do..so it's scrapped

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorLCA

Not sure if you really read my post...the PSU doesn't fit, it too large by like a quarter inch maybe less. So there's really nothing lese I can do..so it's scrapped

Sorry to see that... it was looking SCHWEET too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts