1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Project Elegance

Link to final pictures

Hey guys,

This will be my work log for the face-lift I am giving my PC.

We will begin with the name, "Elegance". I chose this name because elegance is my favorite design characteristic. This name is reflective of the understated beauty my build will exhibit.

It should come as no surprise that I will be working with the Lian-Li PC-A71F.

Pic:

This is a list of the work I plan on doing:

1) Parts Arrive! Will update pictures as they come in.

2) Paint the interior of the case black.

3) Mod the Sunbeam 4-fan controller with a Lian-Li bezel. COMPLETED.

4) Sleeve my PSU with a combination of White and Black sleeves.
Part 2 of the Sleeving
5) Add sound-dampening foam throughout case (where Lian-Li has not already provided it).

6) Reconstruct PC in new case.

7) (distant future) Upgrade to WCing using white tubing.

By the end, everything in the case should be black and white.

Please tell me if you guys have any comments / suggestions (especially the latter), I will start getting pictures up tomorrow hopefully (when the case arrives
)...

Hope you all enjoy.

Thanks everybody,

Graham

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright guys, first update:

I took my stock sunbeamtech rheobus which looks like this...

First, I removed the screws from the original one (there are two in the back), then I took the knobs off front (just pull on them) and then unscrewed the nuts on the front. Finally, removed the faceplate:

Then, I took out one of my 5.25" drive bay covers, and lined up the holes like this:

Using this friend of mine:

I drilled the four holes (it was imperfect at first, which was remedied with a razor knife). Then I put the nuts and knobs back on, ended up with this product:

Here it is, installed in the case:

I don't know why it looks like there is a color difference, because there is not in real life.

Tell me what you think of my handywork guys!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Looks mad nice. Good work so far!

Edit: It's just unreal how much better the fan controller looks now. I have a sunbeam rheobus too (a different version) and I'm seriously considering changing out the blue led knobs -- the blue color is nice but I really want something more modest, like this.

Double edit: Would love a pic of the front with the cover on, like in the first post but taken yourself.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Subbed, this looks sweet. I also happen to be a big fan of subtle beauty rather than gleaming lights and decals and colors. I can't wait for this to unfold =)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmanstasiu View Post
Subbed, this looks sweet. I also happen to be a big fan of subtle beauty rather than gleaming lights and decals and colors. I can't wait for this to unfold =)
Tyvm,

Do you guys think I should go with a black and white theme or black + another color, or just straight black.

The interior of the case will be black, but the fan color and sleeving color has not been decided yet, so if anybody has ideas, please post. I'm thinking white sleeving with these http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=51...actal%20Design fans will look good.

Tell me what you think, and thanks for checkin in.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
View Post

Bastiaan_NL is doing a Black and White themed case in a different thread here using those fans. You might want to check his build log to get some idea on how his is looking.
http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...k-n-white.html

Yeah, I like how his is looking, I think as long as black is the primary color here, its should work out well. The white would just be accents on the Fans and the PSU Sleeving, though I'm not decided yet.

If you remember the case mod "project pure" on OCN a year back or so, he did a black case with all black sleeving which looked really nice with some white enermax fans.

Thanks for input!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warfarin88 View Post
Great case.

I'll be watching this one.

It truly is, I still cannot believe how great the build quality is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by custommadename View Post
This is great! Good luck with your modding.
Thank you for the kind wishes.

Does anybody here think I should paint it myself or should I just get it powdercoated for 80 bucks?

·
Premium Member
8,775 Posts
Figure that if you do the painting right it will cost you about $20 to $30 or so in materials (depending on what supplies you already have). To do it right will require 2 cans of Self Etching Primer (at least 2 coats if not 3) and two cans of top (color) coat (a minimum of 3 coats) plus a scuff pad. Self etching primer is more expensive than regular primer and is the ONLY way to go when painting a bare metal surface like the insides of a case like this. The people who either don't primer at all or use regular primer are the ones who have more problems with scratching and chipping. Using Epoxy paint also helps to reduce scratching and chipping, but again, it's even more expensive. And no matter what you do paint will not be as durable as powder coating.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
View Post

Figure that if you do the painting right it will cost you about $20 to $30 or so in materials (depending on what supplies you already have). To do it right will require 2 cans of Self Etching Primer (at least 2 coats if not 3) and two cans of top (color) coat (a minimum of 3 coats) plus a scuff pad. Self etching primer is more expensive than regular primer and is the ONLY way to go when painting a bare metal surface like the insides of a case like this. The people who either don't primer at all or use regular primer are the ones who have more problems with scratching and chipping. Using Epoxy paint also helps to reduce scratching and chipping, but again, it's even more expensive. And no matter what you do paint will not be as durable as powder coating.

I'm thinking I'm going to do a lot of black accents first on pieces that will not get chipped (PSU plates on back, etc.), and make a piece to cover the topmost compartment and the 5.25" bays of black acrylic, and if I'm still not satisfied, then I will go for the paintjob, but I think what I just described will look good

Keep tellin me what you think , and thank you guys very much for hte input.

·
Premium Member
8,775 Posts
Just remember that the couple of bucks you invest in a scuff pad and the Self Etching Primer will be well worth it in the long run. And if you paint anything plastic or acrylic be sure to use adhesion promoter on it first. It's basically self etching primer for acrylic/plastic. And use actual paint designed for acrylic/plastic when painting it. Using paint designed for metal won't adhere nearly as well.

I worked in the automotive industry for a lot of years and have some paint training. Due to an allergy to the chemicals in paint I can't do a lot of it, but I have learned a thing or three about what materials and procedures work best for different materials.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts