Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bastiaan_NL View Post
Its looking really good grahamcrackuh


A little idea, put your cam on clothes, or just let it rest on something. This'll make sure your pictures are not moved at all!

I can't even describe how concerned I am that my PSU will not work after all this hard work
.

How were you getting the pins out in your casemod? I've been using needlenose pliers and a stapler and needless to say, it has not been very fun.

I also found out that Corsair irreversibly tangles some of the lines before they even ship their product, so it's basically impossible to get it perfect
. I think to solve this problem I'm going to throw a few zip ties around the base of the cluster then go over it with the huge heatshrink it will look ok.

Have you been using a hairdrier? I get nervous every time I use my lighter near my PSU.

I think this PSU might be doomed at this rate =/.

Also, I've been doing black heatshrink on the white lines too, I noticed you have been using white heatshrink, I really like how yours looks, hope mine looks ok too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamcrackuh View Post
I can't even describe how concerned I am that my PSU will not work after all this hard work
.

How were you getting the pins out in your casemod? I've been using needlenose pliers and a stapler and needless to say, it has not been very fun.

I also found out that Corsair irreversibly tangles some of the lines before they even ship their product, so it's basically impossible to get it perfect
. I think to solve this problem I'm going to throw a few zip ties around the base of the cluster then go over it with the huge heatshrink it will look ok.

Have you been using a hairdrier? I get nervous every time I use my lighter near my PSU.

I think this PSU might be doomed at this rate =/.

Also, I've been doing black heatshrink on the white lines too, I noticed you have been using white heatshrink, I really like how yours looks, hope mine looks ok too.
i have my 950 TX about 50% sleeved and i am in the same place
im afrade it wont work... im sereously looking around for a 100% modular PSU to replace it with but im gonna keep it and fight with it to MAKE it work... mayby for another build...

yea.... corsair PSUs are SUCKtaculer to sleeve.
 

·
Fold on!
Joined
·
6,986 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamcrackuh View Post
I can't even describe how concerned I am that my PSU will not work after all this hard work
.

How were you getting the pins out in your casemod? I've been using needlenose pliers and a stapler and needless to say, it has not been very fun.

I also found out that Corsair irreversibly tangles some of the lines before they even ship their product, so it's basically impossible to get it perfect
. I think to solve this problem I'm going to throw a few zip ties around the base of the cluster then go over it with the huge heatshrink it will look ok.

Have you been using a hairdrier? I get nervous every time I use my lighter near my PSU.

I think this PSU might be doomed at this rate =/.

Also, I've been doing black heatshrink on the white lines too, I noticed you have been using white heatshrink, I really like how yours looks, hope mine looks ok too.

Well, the thing you have to do is checking all the cables. Its hard for the 24 pin, but the other cables have a matching one, so check if you have the wires in the right hole.
I have messed up my dvd drive, cause I didnt check the work I did after I had some alcohol, way to fail...


I'm going to make a video about how I remove the cables, saves me a lot of time...


I have been using a heatgun, though for black heatshrink I still prefer the lighter. Even if I'm close to the psu, as long as the flame goes away from the hardware it wont be a problem.

You'll be fine, take your time and it'll be alright


(I'll post the video later, going to make it now
)

[edit]Uploading to youtube, may take some time with my internet...

[edit 2]
film_go.png
YouTube- How to remove pins from PSU connectors
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hey guys,

I've been hard at work for all night, and here's where we're at right now!

First, I got these sent to me today!



After 4 hours, I am finally done sleeving, tell me what you think, especially of the choice of where to put the whites
.



More pictures:





And her gorgeous closeup:



And pictures of it in the case, I cannot decide whether I want to fasten it to the back and have it come around at a perfect horizontal angle or leave it "au natural", as is. Please tell me what you think:







Hope yuo guys are enjoying the build so far, keep me posted with any ideas, suggestions, or words of encuoragement.

Thanks,
Graham
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bastiaan_NL View Post
It looks really good so far

I love the black and white sleeving


I think the white is mixed up pretty good, just a few random white ones between the black ones


Keep up the good work


(btw, did you check out the video in the post above you?)
Yeah, I just watched it. You make it look so easy I want to attack you haha. I'll try that method for the next ones I do, my method was liek this:

1) make pair of staples into U shape, with the smallest part of the U being only slightly wider than a pin.

2) bridge the pin with it, with the long sides of teh U hitting the fins keeping the pin in place.

3) keep pushing very very hard with needlenose pliers until the staple is in enough that the cable can be removed.

4) get a band aid for your severely damaged hands.

needless to say, my job as a software developer has been jeopardized by this build.


Thanks for the video, I'm sure ethat will help many people.

Put it in your sig!

Graham
 

·
Fold on!
Joined
·
6,986 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamcrackuh View Post
Yeah, I just watched it. You make it look so easy I want to attack you haha. I'll try that method for the next ones I do, my method was liek this:

1) make pair of staples into U shape, with the smallest part of the U being only slightly wider than a pin.

2) bridge the pin with it, with the long sides of teh U hitting the fins keeping the pin in place.

3) keep pushing very very hard with needlenose pliers until the staple is in enough that the cable can be removed.

4) get a band aid for your severely damaged hands.

needless to say, my job as a software developer has been jeopardized by this build.


Thanks for the video, I'm sure ethat will help many people.

Put it in your sig!

Graham
Well, tbh its really easy this way. The whole operation of sleeving takes time, but you have got to make it as easy for yourselve as possible.
After trying a few different things this came out as the best option for me, even after using mdpc's special tool.
I dont like to use more tools than I need, so making some stuff yourselve is the key
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Blah, wanted to bump again to hopefully have more than Bastiaan interested (not that I do not appreciate your company). It always helps to feel encouraged.

So...

shameless self bump again
.

Graham
 

·
Fold on!
Joined
·
6,986 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by grahamcrackuh
View Post

Blah, wanted to bump again to hopefully have more than Bastiaan interested (not that I do not appreciate your company). It always helps to feel encouraged.

So...

shameless self bump again
.

Graham

I sometimes feel the same. Doing an update without reply's etc.
You just need to keep going! Take your time for an awesome update, with nice pictures, a few previews or something like that

And I subscribe to every thread I post in. If I'm at home or at work, I always check my email a few times a day, and most of the times I reply to the threads with new posts, that why I post so much in here


Quote:


Originally Posted by Striker36
View Post

i have been waching every post here
not commenting all that often though because i look when i have like 20 seconds at work.

but i know the feeling. it feels like 40 pages of just me in my work log some times

Striker needs some attention, lets find his thread
 

·
Fold on!
Joined
·
6,986 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
View Post

I tend to not reply that much as I don't like to clutter up work logs with a lot of extra posts.

I agree with you, but if I see that nobody reply's to a worklog after an update, I like to give that person a free bump, and a pat on the back.
I really enjoyed that with my first log, and I still do, it keeps you going
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
I've been doing the sleeving with grahamcrackuh, and it's just awfully time consuming and really nerve wracking haha. I haven't taken any pics or made my own worklog because i'm too lazy, but if graham lets me use his cam I'll probably upload some of my sleeving to this worklog. I'm doing all black because white doesn't mesh with the red/black theme I've got goin on.
My sleeving doesn't look quite as nice as graham's to be honest -- I wasn't very diligent about lining up heatshrink, the sleeving is a little short by the psu end (fear of the lighter being too close to the psu kept me from sleeving the whole way down), etc. But I'm still happy with the result as of now. I've got the whole 24 pin done and working on de pinning the pci's. Probably will finish late late late tomorrow night...if lucky...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by flamingoyster
View Post

I've been doing the sleeving with grahamcrackuh, and it's just awfully time consuming and really nerve wracking haha. I haven't taken any pics or made my own worklog because i'm too lazy, but if graham lets me use his cam I'll probably upload some of my sleeving to this worklog. I'm doing all black because white doesn't mesh with the red/black theme I've got goin on.
My sleeving doesn't look quite as nice as graham's to be honest -- I wasn't very diligent about lining up heatshrink, the sleeving is a little short by the psu end (fear of the lighter being too close to the psu kept me from sleeving the whole way down), etc. But I'm still happy with the result as of now. I've got the whole 24 pin done and working on de pinning the pci's. Probably will finish late late late tomorrow night...if lucky...

While mine may look better, I have managed to completely FUBAR my extra 2 pins on my PCI-E cable, so I better do the other one properly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by grahamcrackuh
View Post

Hey guys,

I've been hard at work for all night, and here's where we're at right now!

First, I got these sent to me today!

[Image Here]

After 4 hours, I am finally done sleeving, tell me what you think, especially of the choice of where to put the whites
.

[Image Here]

More pictures:

[Image Here]

[Image Here]

And her gorgeous closeup:

[Image Here]

And pictures of it in the case, I cannot decide whether I want to fasten it to the back and have it come around at a perfect horizontal angle or leave it "au natural", as is. Please tell me what you think:

[Image Here]

[Image Here]

[Image Here]

Hope yuo guys are enjoying the build so far, keep me posted with any ideas, suggestions, or words of encuoragement.

Thanks,
Graham

Regarding the underlined question: I think it looks much better "au naturel." The whole point of the sleeving is to make it a part of the rig you can be proud of. Why hide as much as possible after doing all this work??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
We finished! Grahamcrackuh still has a piece of acrylic to attach but as far as sleeving goes, we're all done! My pics are in my sig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hey guys,

To any of you who have stuck with me all this time, thank you, my case mod is complete and here are the final pictures:

Here is the complete view of the case.



Another:



More views:



Intake Fans:



Sleeving, you can see some fo the reflection off the acryllic:



Aerial view:



Sleeving shot:





The tower of power:



Acryllic reflection:





RAID in back:



With side panel on:





Front, with side panel, door closed / open:





More of the front:







 
41 - 60 of 66 Posts
Top