Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im stuck with my little antec 900 and its proving very very difficult to fit all my water junk inside so i want to fabricate an external "radbox" or something like that to hold the components for two loops

id need it to fit two 360 rads, 1 120 rad, 2 pumps and 1/2 res's (might use res top for a ddc)

i really dont want to spend a fortune, im just tired of having my rads ghetto rigged to my case and desk. id like it to look nice

im all ears for designs, so anyone with serious intentions please give me a hand

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i dont want to spend more than like 50 bux

so i want to make it myself

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bump

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok guys i have my plans drawn out

but i have no idea if i should use a molex extender or use another psu for the radbox

if dedicated how do i make a jumper long enough to start both psu's?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm i think ill just run a molex extension =[

any have any thoughts on that

and what about tube length how far could i conceivably put this away from my pc and could i put it under my desk withouth worrying about pumping problems?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey good luck thehighlander123

I DC 24/7 with 2x Q6600's. One of my cases is a Antec 900 and the other case is an older Antec. The Antec 900 is/was a terrific AC'ing case, but leaves a little to be desired for water cooling or wire management. I have a MCR220, a MCP350 and a Micro rez in each of my homemade water boxes/buckets/containers. I use the empty buckets from Tidy Cat cat litter. I do a little sound proofing and set them in front of my window sill. The "jobber doobers" have a duct to the outside. Talk about "getto city"

Here are the pics. Please forgive the blurryness. I hope you don't loose your eyesight. These pics are living proof of " a photographer I ain't".

I've included some pics, but just keep in mind these are only prototypes and experimental (uncompleted, besides I'd rather have something work instead of only look good) I've got a MCP350 I purchased from PTS for less than $40.00 bucks, if it's unacceptible (too loud) I can just swap it out for a MCP655 or MCP350 I know the MCP350's are super quiet, I just wanted more flow for an external rig. (the MCP350 will also need 3/8" to 1/2" adapters or a custom top). I'm in a holding pattern waiting on some 1/2' steel barbs and some "bling bling" stuff (edge molding, paint, screen, etc). I've already started cutting on a larger empty cat litter bucket, so everything is internal and enclosed (not hangin' out)

So far my temps have been outstanding. Depending on the outside temp I get a CPU temp as low as 8c degrees (43F to44F) and on the boxen with a MCW60-R WB it can read as low as 22c (71F to 72F) These are load temps DCing [email protected] GPU2 and WCG

DCing for the CURE

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i really dont want anything ghetto rigged

i want this to look snappy and be very functional

anybody with pumping suggestions?

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
For $50 you can't even buy a sheet of plywood my friend. You will have to make it from MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) or Particle board or Melamine (same thing with white or black finish). You will need tools, a workspace and sufficient experience and knowledge to use the tools.

Easiest way is probably to make a box large enough to contain all the gear and make cutouts for the rads on whatever panels you like and mount them and make other cutours for fans and mount them forcing air through the box and rads. That's the easiest way if using radsof different sizes.

If you have a stout PSU in the PC then extend a MOlex lead to the external box and power it up that way.

You do not need a relay to start a "slave" PSU. Just solder or pin a wire to the green and to the black lead of the 24pin plug and put that in parallel to the black and green wire on the PC PSU 24 pin and you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid
View Post

For $50 you can't even buy a sheet of plywood my friend. You will have to make it from MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) or Particle board or Melamine (same thing with white or black finish). You will need tools, a workspace and sufficient experience and knowledge to use the tools.

Easiest way is probably to make a box large enough to contain all the gear and make cutouts for the rads on whatever panels you like and mount them and make other cutours for fans and mount them forcing air through the box and rads. That's the easiest way if using radsof different sizes.

If you have a stout PSU in the PC then extend a MOlex lead to the external box and power it up that way.

You do not need a relay to start a "slave" PSU. Just solder or pin a wire to the green and to the black lead of the 24pin plug and put that in parallel to the black and green wire on the PC PSU 24 pin and you are good to go.

exactly. for 50, there is not much more than a cheap PC case that you can get. If it were my call, for that budget I would go that route. However, I am VERY happy with the custom one I got from CD. Well worth the cost.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have all the materials right here

as much 3/4 inch plywood as ill ever need and im building it in my woodshop class so i wont be alone

and with the psu i know how to jump one but i really dont want to have to wprry about turning it on and off =/ but i mean 800watts is good for alot so i guess ill just run a molex lead

would u mind looking over a set of plans for me?

·
Registered
832 Posts
You should pick up some 1" aluminum angle at Lowes or Home Depot. I just made my friend a rad box for his Raidmax Aztec. It works great cause you can bend it easily and then once painted looks flawless. It's one like $3.50 for a 3ft length, so 4 pieces and a can of spray paint and a can of clear gloss enamel should only run you like $25 or so.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry frozen q i meant an enclosure to put it all in, enough room for two loops with tubes going to pc

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so im in the final stages of planning, finished shop plan

now the cutting begins

1 - 18 of 18 Posts