2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got some packages today.

DVD drive faceplate:

As you can see, it fit perfectly.

Antennas

Wacom bamboo touch

Spazz attack USB hub

Surprisingly, I was able to put seven devices on the USB hub without external power, and it still didn't give me any power warnings. That'll make things a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
GAH!!!!!! I took the wacom apart to get the dimensions of the circuit boards, then when I put it back together, it quit working. I've checked all the connections several times, so something is definitely dead. Well, there goes $45.

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
I was scrolling down quickly and I thought you made a bomb to blow up your laptop or something. All those batteries hooked up looks like your making a very fun explosive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post
Be careful the cops don't see those pictures, they will think another major bomb making operation is going on.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
This looks awesome. Subbed. Sucks about the wacom though.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post
This looks awesome. Subbed. Sucks about the wacom though.
Thanks. I'm probably just going to keep building with the dead wacom, then when I'm done, I'll swap it for a new one. I never realized these things were so fragile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post
i lol and clap at the cardboard laptop?
???? The cardboard laptop was made just to test my patterns. I'm going to cut it into plastic tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quick update: I ended up not cutting the ABS yet, because I was at Conns and saw a better monitor than the MS246H. I'm definitely using it instead, so I need to adjust dimensions before cutting. Model no. is AOC e2343F. It's perfect because it's thinner and the electronics are separate from the monitor itself. This way, I won't have to rig up wires for it. I do lose 0.6 inches of screen size, but that's worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
Sorry if I skipped over this but what are you using as a monitor?
http://vr-zone.com/articles/aoc-e234...tor/10059.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpetrolhead View Post
very interesting, its going to be a heavy SOAB.

Subbed.

Weight really doesn't matter. As long as it can be easily transported to and from a car, it's fine.

I also managed to get hold of another of those external laptop batteries, so I'm probably going to leave normal laptop battery intact and rig up another 18 cell pack. I'll end up with a 62 cell pack that way.

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Quick update: I ended up not cutting the ABS yet, because I was at Conns and saw a better monitor than the MS246H. I'm definitely using it instead, so I need to adjust dimensions before cutting. Model no. is AOC e2343F. It's perfect because it's thinner and the electronics are separate from the monitor itself. This way, I won't have to rig up wires for it. I do lose 0.6 inches of screen size, but that's worth it.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/aoc-e234...tor/10059.html

Weight really doesn't matter. As long as it can be easily transported to and from a car, it's fine.

I also managed to get hold of another of those external laptop batteries, so I'm probably going to leave normal laptop battery intact and rig up another 18 cell pack. I'll end up with a 62 cell pack that way.
Do you plan on plugging it into the external vga some how? You know if you want to use the laptops main display connector and hook it up to a desktop monitor it's not plug and play right? I know this because I tried. I also know another member on ocn who tried to create a portable water cooled laptop but he gave up after he bought all the parts because he couldn't figure out a way to get the monitor hooked up without spending a lot of money.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
Do you plan on plugging it into the external vga some how? You know if you want to use the laptops main display connector and hook it up to a desktop monitor it's not plug and play right? I know this because I tried. I also know another member on ocn who tried to create a portable water cooled laptop but he gave up after he bought all the parts because he couldn't figure out a way to get the monitor hooked up without spending a lot of money.
I've got two monitors plugged into the laptop mobo right now. It's actually what I'm typing this on.

I'm not doing it this way, but here is how to interface laptop monitors with vga. http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006/03/...or-they-did-it
It wouldn't be too hard to reverse it and have the laptop monitor's output work with VGA monitors.

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foothead
View Post

I've got two monitors plugged into the laptop mobo right now. It's actually what I'm typing this on.

I'm not doing it this way, but here is how to interface laptop monitors with vga. http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006/03/...or-they-did-it
It wouldn't be too hard to reverse it and have the laptop monitor's output work with VGA monitors.

Oh ok, as long as you have the monitor problem already figured out then good luck with the build.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Monitor has been ordered.

2010-12-13_1932.png

$140 for a 23 inch 1080p LED monitor at Frys. Epic deal.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liighthead
View Post

subed nice idear

Thanks.

I've got another battery to mod, so I'll probably work on that tonight or tomorrow, but other than that, I'm stuck waiting. I couldn't find good enough specs on the AOC monitor to get my design finalized, so the whole project is pretty much on hold until it gets here. I hate shipping.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
UPDATE: I've been doing some more bomb making battery modding. I managed to get a third external battery shipped in from a different radioshack, so I took the cells out of it and added them to the 12 cell pack. I have two more Toshiba 9 cell packs on the way to use with the leftover charging circuit.

Picture time!

The pack as it came:

PC153929.jpg

Opened up:

PC153930.jpg

This one has different cells than the other two. I did some research and the specs seem to be the same, so it should work. If they do die prematurely, it'll only cost $23, so I'm not that worried.

Here's the bare PCB:

PC153942.jpg

The old cells rigged up into 2 x 6 cell packs:

PC153932.jpg

The new cells rigged up. All 6 are in parallel.

PC153934.jpg

All wired up:

PC153936.jpg

This is starting to get epic.

PC153937.jpg

I also found a CF reader at office depot for 94 cents, so I decided to add it.

Here it is stripped down to the PCB:

PC153945.jpg

Card in place:

PC153944.jpg

I started using my DSLR for pictures instead of my phone. It's less convenient, but I decided it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
For a second there I thought you were going to make a laptop with cardboard, I laughed.

Looking good so far, subbed
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
very entertaining.. keep up the great work.

21 - 40 of 555 Posts