Overclock.net banner
41 - 60 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
GAH!!!!! I just got my monitor in and it has two stuck pixels right out of the box. One is blue, the other is green. Why don't they check for this at the factory?

Well, I've had Jscreenfix running for the last 20 minutes and I've tried a pixel massage. Neither worked. I guess I'll just have to live with this one.

• Rep+
Reactions: Magmo

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foothead
View Post

GAH!!!!! I just got my monitor in and it has two stuck pixels right out of the box. One is blue, the other is green. Why don't they check for this at the factory?

Well, I've had Jscreenfix running for the last 20 minutes and I've tried a pixel massage. Neither worked. I guess I'll just have to live with this one.

yeah can you not RMA it and just have another shipped out to you?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterFire
View Post

No chance on trading it in for a different monitor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magmo
View Post

yeah can you not RMA it and just have another shipped out to you?

Well I could, but it'd probably cost me $30 to ship the thing, and I don't feel like delaying my project 2-3 weeks just to get another that may be without stuck pixels. Besides, I've epically voided the warranty.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE
View Post

Nice project mate. I will be following this to fruition. As your monitor..You cannot go to all this effort and then have a borked monitor. RMA it mate.

LOL, well it's already taken apart. I'll probably buy another at some point and switch the panels.

I'm trying to get this thing done before Christmas so I can take it on vacation. If only my stupid iBook hadn't died for the 49845742305487th time...

BTW, pictures of the monitor teardown are coming. I'm just waiting on the uploads.

EDIT: Okay, here we go...

The monitor still in its case. Sorry for the weird angle, my camera's autofocus hates LCD panels.

Side shot. This thing is thin.

Here is what is inside the mysterious base.

Here's the panel itself. It's amazingly thin.

The touch sensitive buttons. Anyone know how these things work? I want to replace them with tact switches.

And, I got a little bonus. It turns out that the hinge has enough range of motion to be used on the laptop. I'll probably dremel it in half to make two separate hinges.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReciever
View Post

This looks pretty unique, sub'd definitely, keep up the good work man!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnko1
View Post

Wow you'll need more batteries???

LOL, I think 62 cells is enough. Most laptops have 6.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foothead
View Post

LOL, I think 62 cells is enough. Most laptops have 6.

Remember he will also be powering the display which requires I think the sockets in the US use 120V? So it will need a lot.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnAimed
View Post

Remember he will also be powering the display which requires I think the sockets in the US use 120V? So it will need a lot.

Nope, this monitor has a 12VDC input. A lot of the newer LED monitors do.

Either way, DC-AC inverters aren't /that/ inefficient.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnAimed
View Post

yea.. you need a 120v only if the lcd still original and in it case, but he's using the inverted to use only the power it needs

·
Registered
445 Posts
HOLY COWS
THAT IS SOME HUGE A** BATTERIES
you should use it on an airplane. bet everyone would be like wdf if that monster?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tincanman
View Post

HOLY COWS
THAT IS SOME HUGE A** BATTERIES
you should use it on an airplane. bet everyone would be like wdf if that monster?

I doubt I could get it past TSA. They'd probably think it's one of those UAV control laptops like they have on TV shows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1
View Post

Wow this is nuts! Keep it going!

Thanks. Will do.

41 - 60 of 555 Posts