Overclock.net banner

Project GhettoBook (23 inch laptop) <Updated 19/5/2011>

93K views 554 replies 182 participants last post by  shiftwig113 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Original post:

I think the time has come to begin my GhettoBook work log. The idea is to build a custom LAN rig so I can bring it around between my parents' houses with me. I won't go into details because it will spoil the fun, but here is a hint:

This is a prototype I built out of cardpaper to test my dimensions. The laptop next to it is an apple iBook.

I started with a HP DV7 2270us that I bought from another OCN member. Here's what it looked like when I got it:

It had suffered a mysterious "accident" (seller didn't elaborate) that crushed the screen, broke the trackpad buttons, lost a key, destroyed the HDD, and left huge, deep scuffs on the inside of the case. Perfect for modding.

Here it is when stripped down to just the components I need:

This thing is going to draw tons of juice, so I needed a massive battery. Since nothing appropriate is readily available (at least, nothing that fits my $800 budget), I decided to build my own. I bought two 9-cell toshiba batteries from eBay and two 6-cell external packs from radioshack's clearance, all for $11 each.

Here are the toshiba batteries when opened:

and here is what the inside of the external pack looks like:

I removed the lithium ion cells from all the battery packs, and then rewired them to the charge circuits in the external packs:

First one:

Second one:

Here they are together:

The first pack is 12-cell, and the second is 18-. These will be responsible for powering the monitor, and keeping a charge in the battery for the laptop components. If I can ever get the DV7 battery open, I'm going to add another 16 cells to it.

That's as far as I've gotten right now, but there is tons more coming soon. I'm just waiting for the rest of the supplies to come in.

#4 ·
Did you remove the lithium battery safeties?

If so, be careful since they can exploded.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Also, attaching so many batteries to a charger only built to charge 1 pack cant be good, can it? Or will it just charge really, really, slowly?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Nope, there is a microcontroller to prevent overcharging, and I did not modify the cells in any way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH View Post
Also, attaching so many batteries to a charger only built to charge 1 pack cant be good, can it? Or will it just charge really, really, slowly?

It just charges really slowly. As long as I don't draw more current than it's rated for, it'll be fine.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdRush View Post
That's pretty insane. I'd rig up a blast shield for the first run.
Well, I've already tested the batteries, and they are fine. Actually, they run cooler than before because there are more of them to share the load.

• Rep+
Reactions: Shozzking
#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post
Be careful the cops don't see those pictures, they will think another major bomb making operation is going on.
I'm pretty sure the cops can tell the difference between a battery and a bomb...

I ordered lots of random parts for this last night.

It's amazing how much shipping can cost for a $3 cable...

I still have yet to order a HDD or a monitor. I keep hoping something great will come along, bu I rather doubt it at this point. I guess I'mma go with the ASUS MS 248H

#12 ·
Hm... this could be interesting. subbed

This thread is now endorsed by Xeb

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by foothead
View Post

I'm pretty sure the cops can tell the difference between a battery and a bomb...

Tell that to the cop that shot a guy, thought he had a grenade. It was a orange.

I'm generally broke so i have to do a lot of ghetto mods. Like if you don't fix it you don't have it. So i respect the hell out of these kinda things.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb
View Post

Hm... this could be interesting. subbed

This thread is now endorsed by Xeb

Lol, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsan
View Post

Tell that to the cop that shot a guy, thought he had a grenade. It was a orange.

Yeah, but that's different. He saw what he thought was a grenade and reacted instinctively. If they see a picture, they would have to figure out who I am and where I live, get a warrant, then send officers out. Totally different scenario there.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by foothead
View Post

Lol, thanks.

Yeah, but that's different. He saw what he thought was a grenade and reacted instinctively. If they see a picture, they would have to figure out who I am and where I live, get a warrant, then send officers out. Totally different scenario there.

And as soon as they read this under your web history, they'll get right on it!

Just messing, nice project. Ill check in every once in a while.

#16 ·
Anyone know where I can get laser cutting done? I'm trying to keep costs down, but I really think it'll be necessary for this to turn out well.

#17 ·
Got a package from the UPS today.

Rosewill RK-7431

Here's the faceplate removed. I'm going to have to use this as a template for the inner lid so everything lines up.

And here is the keyboard removed entirely from its case.

It's like this thing was designed for modding. The keyboard itself is all mounted to a very thin metal plate, much like a normal laptop keyboard. It also uses a removable ribbon cable, and the indicator lights are separate from the main board so they can be relocated.

BTW, sorry for the huge mess on my desk. That's what happens you've got three major projects going on at once, and only one tiny desk.

#18 ·
Finally got the HP battery open to pull the charging circuit. That was total BS, it took me over an hour to get to it, and I completely destroyed the case in the process. Turns out HP had used epoxy to hold the seams shut because they were too cheap/lazy to use a couple screws.

Here's the battery:

Here's what the case looks like:

My ABS sheets came in today. Cutting will probably begin on Saturday.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
I die a little inside each time this thread gets updated. ...
Lol, sorry about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
lol never the less, keep up the good work

Cant wait till its done

Thanks.

I've made a few design changes, so I built a new prototype out of the cardboard my plastic sheets shipped in.

Top:

Back:

Side:

Evil doggie does not approve.

And of course, here is a size comparison with a "normal" laptop.

Some of the pieces don't line up properly because the cardboard is 1/4 inch and the design is for 1/8 inch material.

#21 ·
Got some packages today.

DVD drive faceplate:

As you can see, it fit perfectly.

Antennas

Wacom bamboo touch

Spazz attack USB hub

Surprisingly, I was able to put seven devices on the USB hub without external power, and it still didn't give me any power warnings. That'll make things a lot easier.

#22 ·
GAH!!!!!! I took the wacom apart to get the dimensions of the circuit boards, then when I put it back together, it quit working. I've checked all the connections several times, so something is definitely dead. Well, there goes $45.

#23 ·
I was scrolling down quickly and I thought you made a bomb to blow up your laptop or something. All those batteries hooked up looks like your making a very fun explosive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post
Be careful the cops don't see those pictures, they will think another major bomb making operation is going on.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post
This looks awesome. Subbed. Sucks about the wacom though.
Thanks. I'm probably just going to keep building with the dead wacom, then when I'm done, I'll swap it for a new one. I never realized these things were so fragile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post
i lol and clap at the cardboard laptop?
???? The cardboard laptop was made just to test my patterns. I'm going to cut it into plastic tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.