Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I have finally done it. My first case mod. Not sure what is left to do, but I have overhauled the vast majority of this case.

Unfortunatly, I didnt take pics before I did the mods to it, so I cant compare, but I took quite a few 'after' pics.

Completed So Far:
  • 3 Cable Mnagement Holes Cut
  • Cable Management Holes lined with Chrome Trim
  • PSU-Flip-Mod -- 120mm Fan Hole Cut, rubber bushings left intact
  • Black Spraypaint
  • External Radiator Mount with Dual 80mm Fans

Awaiting Completion:
  • Custom Window Mod (Not sure what to do here yet)
  • LED Mod 200mm Top Fan
  • Custom LED HDD Activity Light (Side-Window Based)
  • Custom LED Feet
So to basically dig into details on whats left that I want to do:

For the Window mod, I was thinking of something simple, not involving cutting, this case has had enough of my dremel lol. Maybe just an OCN window appliqué would do the job.

The 200mm Top fan, this is quite simple, I plan on running some LEDs into the fan to make a home made Antec 200mm TriCool. Basically, to make the 200mm fan look like the 120mms that came stock with the case. Thats the one part where this case is lacking. They include loads of fans, generate tons of airflow, pretty everything up, except for one of the biggest selling points. I intend to fix that

Custom HDD Light
. This one will be fun. I want to make the ENTIRE window light up with one or more LEDs when the hdd is in use. My case is mounted on my desk, so the top panel is a pain to access, and I cannot see my hdd activity light. I will turn the top led into a power led, since this case doesnt have one, and will try to somehow transform the side window into one giant LED HDD light.

LED Feet. This project is almost done, I just have to wire it up now. See below for a screenshot of the feet. I will make a howto guide later on how to custom make these feet, but the pic basically explains it all.

If anyone has suggestions on what I can do to mod my case further (without a chainsaw being involved) please do suggest! Please no negative comments of threadjackers. Constructive criticism is welcome, as this is my first mod.

Sorry I didnt take pics of the PSU flip mod, its nothing special anyways, and would be a pain to snap a pic with this heavy beast lol...

PICS COMING SHORTLY

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And Now the pics.

Pic one vaguely shows the 3 cable mangement holes and their trim from an interior case view.

Pic Two shows the external rad attached to the rear of the case. Note that I can STILL open the side panel with ease, and there is a rubber bushing to isolate vibrations. The rad is screwed directly to the rear of the case. Both fans are in line with one another to maximize airflow through the rad.

Pic Three shows the right side of the case where the wires are hidden. It may look messy, but better here than in the case. Also, note the chrome trim used to hide the rough edges and make a classy look to the mod.

And finally pic four, the entire case with
that the right side still closes nicely, even with a jumbled mess of wires hiding there

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This pic shows the custom LED feet, and how they connect. I am thinking of modifying the connection however, as this particular method is impractical. Does anyone know where I can buy some female sata power connectors (like the kind used on the hdd and burner end) as this would be great. I need a 3.3v source to power these leds. I have an adapter which takes one 3.3v source and splits it into 4 (one for each 'foot' led)

Everything you see here is custom made by me. Inspired by something I saw on ebay.

·
Is he still around?!
11,240 Posts
Wow. Those glass fuse case feet are....intriguing to say the least,lol. I'd like to see those in action actually.

For the LED power, why dont you just use a 3pin fan plug? Or a molex plug and use the 5v line and step it down to 3.3v?

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my original plan, but I am not sure of resistance values etc. If you know somewhere which could help me calculate that it would be great! Each LED currently is receiving 3.3v, so what value of resistor should I be using to step down from 5v to 3.3?

P.S. I will jumpstart these feet and take some pics in a moment.

Ok, here are the pics

The first one is with the flash enabled, and the second without. You can see that these LEDs run pretty bright off 3.3v, and would be a nice touch to my existing complete blue/black setup.

·
Is he still around?!
11,240 Posts
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

^^ Theres a link to a LED calculator with some explanation on the voltages/etc. Should make it easy for ya

And WOW, those ghetto fuses do make some pretty awesome case feet. I am -very- impressed with that man! +
for you!

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to try a few of those calculators out, and main problem I seem to be having is they enjoy having complete input, which I dont have lol..

Quote:
diode forward voltage
diode forward current (mA)
I grabbed these LEDs from radio shack a LOOOONG time ago, and dont even think they stock them anymore, so I have no idea as to what to put in these two areas, which just wont work without input...

·
Premium Member
20,370 Posts
I actually bought a pre-made set of blue led feet for my antec super lanboy awhile back. They were about $10, acrylic, about the same size as the fuses you are using and pre-wired.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, so were the ones on ebay, but I wanted something I could do myself, so I built them. To be honest, the LED's alone almost cost me as much as those feet would have, but at least I got to burn some time and can wire them up in any way I see fit. Right now, if I can find the proper resistance values, im looking at interchangeable power sources, via USB or Molex. Also if I do rewiring on this project, I will be using a Backplate switch.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, As if by fate, radio shack actually had some (just called) and they said they were 4v @ 20mA 1800mcd.

So I threw those numbers into the wizard and got this back:

The wizard says: In solution 0:

* each 100 ohm resistor dissipates 40 mW
* the wizard says the color code for 100 is brown black brown
* the wizard thinks 1/4W resistors are fine for your application Help
* together, all resistors dissipate 160 mW
* together, the diodes dissipate 264 mW
* total power dissipated by the array is 424 mW
* the array draws current of 80 mA from the source.

I called radio shack back (actually The Source, since Radio Shack Canada went belly up, and circuit city bought them out, and renamed The Source) and they dont have any of those resistors, and the guy was clueless if he can even get them or what hes looking for. Any suggestions for a reputable place which sells these? Considering ebay lol.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Instead of using a resistors you can use regular silicon rectifier diodes. Each diode will drop the voltage .7V so if you put 2 in series on a 5V line you will get a 1.4V drop in voltage giving you 3.6 if that is too high you could add a 3 to add the total voltage drop to 2.1 giving to 2.9V. The diodes are marked by how much current they can handle and you can pick the lowest rated ones since LEDs draw very little current.

·
Tator Tot Enthusiast
3,177 Posts
modding fuses to be LED feet? = WIN. dude thats awsome haha ! SUB'D! Doin great so far btw keep it up

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE

I have decided to redesign my LED feed a little bit.

Originally, I had planned to power them from a tap into the 3.3v on the motherboard header via a custom ATX header wire I designed.

Well as you can tell from the pics, its not the greatest of quality, and I dont want to risk my expensive motherboard on it.

Was going to use a female MOLEX connector (5v source) and some resistors to drop down to a current level which the LEDs could handle, but that proved difficult as no stores today were open which had the resistors

Resistors = FAIL

What next? Potentiometer (I think thats how its spelled). Its basically a resistor with a dial to allow you to increase or decrease current. Know those fancy 4-fan controller thingies? Yep, just a buncha potentiometers spun together. So I bought one. On the low setting, it puts my LEDs right where I want them to be. SAFE

Potentiometer = WIN

Ok, so one up for the big guy, whats next? Well I need a 'black box'. If I cant scavenge one up here at home I will be headed yet again to the source (they love me there).

My new plan involves:
  • USB connection for power - so these can be 'transplanted' if I ever change case
  • Rubber mats on the feet - so they wont scratch what they sit on
  • Expansion slot backplate powerswitch - self explanatory
  • Black Box enclosure - Its just a simple black box that you put stuff in. The potentiometer and wiring jumble will go in here (with an external knob for adjustment) and will be stuck to something via 3m tape most likely.
*** Any suggestions on how to make the custom HDD LED mod would be appreciated ***

I tried a few things and they didnt quite work out. Next thing, if I get mad enough is to make a relay and install two small red CCFLs, even though i was hoping to do something a bit more original. Thinking of something like

http://www.crunchgear.com/2006/11/13...-riot-shields/ <-- THIS

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE 2

Ok, so after a few coffees, and a small tad of work, here is another update.

I needed some supplies, so here is what I have for now, may go back in the future to obtain more if what I have so far doesnt work out.

After a small time of pondering, I was left with

Which turned into

And the not-installed, but finished product

Only thing left to do on this portion of the mod is to put my rubber thingies for surface and anti-slip protection, and glue them to the case. For my glue, I will most likely be using some Loctite 404

http://www.smallparts.com/images/LOCTITE/AL-404-C.jpg

So now, I am left wondering where would be a good idea to place this? See below for a screenie of the rear of my case. Page 1 for screenies of part of the inside, rear and front of the case.

Obviously the led feet shall be going underneath the case near the corners, but I am referring to the 'pandora's box'. Its so cliche but hey, at least it looks kinda sorta pro.

Where is a good place for this to go? I dont mind if it involves some 'effort' or umm... 'changes' to the case in order to get it to go, as long as its not gonna look totally FAIL after, im cool

Looking forward to some ideas!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts