Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time! Painting my girlfriend's case pink has inspired me to start working on my own machine. So, no wasted time - work will begin as soon as the parts arrive.

Here's an overview:

The case: A Silverstone TJ-07, Black with window silver, no window. Arguably one of the best cases for water cooling and modding - that bottom space is perfect for rads, and the whole case is almost rivet free (only a couple of rivets in the mid-section piece)

EDIT - Silver, NO window. $239.99 at Directron.com, vs $386 for the black w/ window at Newegg. I think I can put the saved money to good use, and mod my own window.

The biggest and most time consuming part of this mod will be the painting. The outside of the case will be painted Imola Orange (hence the name). How did I come up with this color? Voodoo used it on their Omen series for a while and it completely blew my mind. The color is originally a Honda/Acura color, as can be seen on this S2000:

*UPDATE* Here are some pics

__________________________________________________ _______________________

The inside of the case is going to be matte black. Will cut out a hole behind the processor area to allow for easy CPU block removal, and will cut a few holes for cable management. Up front will be dual optical drives and a fan controller. The rest of the bay covers will be replaced with mesh, in order to create some additional air flow over the top part of the case.

The components: everything in my rig, with the exception of the cooling, is being ported as is to this build.

The cooling: All liquid cooled. Down bottom will put a quad and double rad. Up top will be using the same CPU and NB block, but installing EK GTX280 full coverage blocks on the video cards. Also I will be ditching my MCres V2 for an EK Multioption Res 2500 V2, which should mount right up on the motherboard tray. For simplicity, and elegance, it will be a single loop. My MCP655 should be powerful enough to move the water around, but everyone has suggested that I add a second pump to increase pressure. Still debating.

Coolant will be blue, and UV cathodes will really make it stand out.

Stay tuned.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jbear

·
Daydreamer Builder
632 Posts
Sounds really interesting and that imola orange should be pro, looking forward to see what happens, good luck

·
Registered
247 Posts
Oh! That color is going to look awesome! Can't wait.

·
Registered
613 Posts
This is going to be sick.. can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And this mod is on its way. Just completed a pretty expensive round of online shopping... picked up:

-Dual UV cathode kit
-24 pin power supply jump start wire
-Round rocker switch (to replace the nasty sunbeam one)
-Anodized thumb screws, 10x2, black (to match the inside)
-EK multioption res 2500 Rev 2
-Anti-cyclone add-in
-2x enzotech 1/2 barbs
-Danger Den aluminum fillport
-2x EK-FC280 full coverage water block (for the graphics cards)
-2x EK-FC280 back plates (for the ram)
-SLI fiting to go card to card

EDIT - went crazier still and bought:

-Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX 480 and GTX 240 (6x120mm fans total)
-5x Scythe S-flex at 63CFM and 28db (to complement the 4 I already have)
-6 feet of Tygon 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing

Still need to get:

-Coolant
-Cable sleeving
-Fan controller
-Silverstone drive bay fan mount/hard drive cage
-And most importantly, IMOLA ORANGE PAINT

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, here's a mockup of what the water cooling system is going to look like.

I'm going to try to ninja the two pumps and 2 rads down into the basement, so that the only visible things are the two rads through the side panels. Otherwise, it will be a simple single loop around the system. Should look something like the attached image.

Danger den fillport will go up top to make filling this beast easy as cake.

Up front I will have my dual DVD-rw drives, a fan controller (not decided yet), and some mesh with a fan behind it. Clearly my paint skills are not very good, and the mesh looks like a black hole. But it will be mesh.

Oh and a minor note - the case will also be orange
don't have photoshop installed on this machine so coloring it in was not really something I wanted to do in paint.

And that purple "thing" at the top is supposed to be a UV cathode.. and the stuff around it is the light it's making
LL

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just downloaded GIMP and made a mock-up of what the case would look like.

This is my first time ever using this program (fancier than paint) so please don't laugh too hard at how bad it looks!!

I'm really excited now, that orange looks pretty cool actually!
LL
LL

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
pretty cool

·
Premium Member
18,618 Posts
The grill at the bottom near the rad should be black IMO.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoodleGTS
View Post

Just downloaded GIMP and made a mock-up of what the case would look like.

This is my first time ever using this program (fancier than paint) so please don't laugh too hard at how bad it looks!!

I'm really excited now, that orange looks pretty cool actually!

Dang how did you do that in gimp thats pretty awesome i like that color alot but i would paint the side grills a black

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fedex1993
View Post

Dang how did you do that in gimp thats pretty awesome i like that color alot but i would paint the side grills a black

Thanks.. it was pretty simple actually you just select a region then go to color balance and you can increase/decrease the magenta, yellow, and cyan balance. So if it starts out black and you mess with the color balance you can get it to be whatever color you want. Also for the interior I just highlighted that area and turned the brightness down to make it darker.. I'm still a gimp noob though, only used it once!

Here, I did a version with black grill for everyone to see. I like orange better, as that grill is really big. had it been smaller I would have went with black. What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick question:

I haven't decided on a coolant yet. I want a nice deep blue that will be highlighted by the UV light, but not necessarily turn super brigh UV. Examples of bad and good:

BAD
http://customerpics.xoxide.com/views...345&sku=801251
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3379/u2kj1.jpg

GOOD
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/P2060182.jpg

Which would be a good coolant to use? I've heard Feser 1 is pretty good but the UV blue looks too much like that bad pictures. Do you think i can just mix a little UV reactant a regular blue coolant and see what it does? Maybe set up the whole rig and drip in UV fluid through the fill port until I like what the loop looks like?

·
Premium Member
18,618 Posts
Used UV black which turns a nice purple/blue under UV. Looks real good, especially with coils around it.

And, black grill ftw.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoodleGTS View Post
Here, I did a version with black grill for everyone to see. I like orange better, as that grill is really big. had it been smaller I would have went with black. What does everyone else think?
Black grill looks much better.

should look good when its done.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha okay i see that everyone is going crazy over black accents! I will paint the side and top grills black, and probably the power button too. Also there will be a black danger den fillport up top. That should keep you all happy!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay some real pics now,

Some parts came in today. Here's the fill-port going at the top of the case:

Here is the res that I'm using:

Finally decided to go with water on the graphics cards... here are the blocks I've chosen, EK full coverage GTX280 blocks with custom EK backplates:

1 - 20 of 421 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.