Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Promised update... sorry guys, I pulled an all nighter last night working on this and fell asleep while it was bleeding
. Also I was kind of tired last night so there's a big gap from when I installed my PSU to until I started filling/bleeding the system where I forgot to take pictures.

I'll have more finished pictures on Wednesday when my Petra Yate highs come in. Right now I'm using tricools for everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skkhai View Post
After tomorrow's update, I still plan on:
-Painting the interior black.
-Repainting the outside and rads. Piano black maybe?
-Finding some way to clean up the honeycomb leftovers at the top where the original 140mm fan was. I already have something in mind, could use a few leftover pieces of black acrylic if anybody has some.
-Replacing side fan with 140mm + add another 140mm to blow over the upper portion of the motherboard (NB, Mosfets area).
Copied from my post yesterday. The loop is finished, but the project is FAR from done.

Would appreciate some feedback

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
+rep, amazing job. Nice to see someone else representing the DKA790GX Platinum too

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey look! My first flame

Thanks guys for the complements, I'll have OC results and some temperatures this weekend. I thought my classes started Thursday, but turns out it starts tomorrow so I won't be able to put in the fans until the weekend.

The DKA790GX Platinum is a nice board. It was a real underdog in terms of popularity compared to Asus' and Gigabyte's offerings, but I went with it anyway and it has been great.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sorry, I'm going to have to delay any OC/Temperature numbers and benchmarks until my next update, but for good reason...

I wasn't satisfied with connecting 7 yate high fans, 2 tricools, and the D5's molex connectors all within the little nook behind the 5.25" bay so I spent the weekend researching, hunting down materials, and implementing a terminal block to power the 7 yates. (All parts were bought at Fry's Electronics)

Original stock D12SH-12. The dual implementation of the 3pin and molex made wire routing hard... I had to remove pins twice from the molex and 3pin so that I could route the cables like I wanted. I ended up cutting off both the 3pin and molex and used custom quick disconnects instead. I left the RPM wire intact in case I ever want to use them.

The good stuff... the terminal block. In the end, the block used up MORE space that the molex connectors did but the block looks a hell of a lot better and it was fun building it.

My needle-nose pliers has seen better days

Preview for the next update.

Just for the sake of being quiet the fans are being fed 5v at the moment. The tricools on low were extremely loud and I could barely feel air moving through the radiators. Even with the tricools on low, the yates at 5v are quieter and temperatures still dropped 1-2 degrees.

I haven't played around too much with overclocking yet, can't afford the downtime for testing with school and all... But I have unlocked the 550 and I'm using Dopamin3's stable settings (200x18.5 @ 1.405v). Max temperature hit during 3DMark06 was 40. More to do later with screen shots

Again, would really appreciate comments/feedback, a lot of my posts are back to back

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well... after 2 days, the top fans that are blowing up now have a slightly annoying bearing sound associated with sleeve bearings mounted horizontally. I guess I should have known better but I just figured these yates were pretty highly rated and thought I would risk it anyway.

I decided to look on Newegg for S-Flex or Gentle Typhoon fans to replace the top 3 when I found some open box S-Flex Fs for $6.99. I grabbed 3 of them before they sold out. Anyone know how these perform at 5v? I plan to hook it up to the terminal block in place of the top 3 yates but the block is only being fed 5v (12v is too loud for daily use, and my power supply throws a fit when I try 7v).

Space is rather limited and I would prefer not using a bay fan controller.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Box of win has arrived! 7x GT AP-14s, 10x Bitspower black "fatboys", 2x G3/8 EK barbs for MCP220 (old school G3/8 model), Heatkiller 3.0.

Will try to have a weekend update, but I'm fairly busy with school at the moment

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hey, thanks guys (for the nomination and the complement).

I'm embarrassed though, I still have a LOT more planned for the case but I haven't had time to work on it. I'm planning another semi big update a month from now (a shipping error is going to hold me back a little bit).

Just wanted to let everyone know the project isn't dead yet, just in limbo until my classes lighten up a little.

EDIT: I'll throw this into the thread for now...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Dah, what is that pathetic cable management!

You need some cable management like mine:

(See what I mean by upside down case, makes the Mobo upside down so graphics card is at the top...)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonshorty View Post
Dah, what is that pathetic cable management!

You need some cable management like mine:

(See what I mean by upside down case, makes the Mobo upside down so graphics card is at the top...)]
Were you being serious? Did you post in the wrong thread?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGHerijuana View Post
how did you reattach the top
The top of my case was cut out so the rad sits on top and the fans are bolted onto it from inside the case.

You guys ruined the surprise I was planning. As you can see, my sig rig has certainly changed since this project was started.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
That looks really good (aside from the inside not being painted black yet
).

Forgive my WC noobiness, but are all the radiator fans sucking air into the case or blowing it out?
Do you plan on adding the 8800GT to the loop (or does it not really get that hot as a physix card)?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts