Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a Laptop. It needs to be durable as hell, and I couldn't find anything suitable. I'm planning to buy a 8.9" Doublesight monitor, a metal project box from Radioshack, and a MiniITX nettop Mobo/CPU/VGA combo and scavenge the rest. I looked at radioshack, and is there a way to get a computer to run off of batteries, using a PCB power conveter, and a molex cable?

·
Registered
62 Posts
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=29462

That will work. You just need to hack the DC power jack, and supply 12 volts... The best way that I thought of doing it (and using the least space) is to get a hobby quality rc car lipo pack. Probably a 3 cell pack (11.1V) or a 4 cell (14.8V) and just use some simple voltage regulators to get the voltage to 12V.

The reason for the lipo packs and not the nimh packs is because the lipo provide more amps (alot more), and that means more available watts. Even if you don't utilize them, the pack will last longer because lipo batteries typically have a higher capacity vs. nimh cells.

Simple as that.

All you need is a good lipo battery (maybe over 5000mah)
and a good balancing charger made for lipos, to charge the battery...
AND DON'T FORGET A LIPO CUTOFF ALARM!!! That will prevent the pack from over-discharging and exploding...

let's see... a 90w itx system plus a 35w screen(sounds about right) = 125w total.

125w divided by 12V = 10.4Amps

run time =
(battery mah) (X) 0.06 (divided by load (in amps))

5000mah x 0.06 / 10.4amps = 28 minutes of run time...

My solution would be to use two 10,000mah packs in parallel to get almost two hours of run time...

The wattage at the beginning might be off, but the formula is correct.
Also, if the battery is let's say 14.8V, then multiply it by the Mah(5000), and divide by the desired voltage (12), that means that the pack has a theoretical Mah of 6166.6

Just use the formulas, and you'll see how long the thing will run.

Btw, I have been devising a similar build for the last couple months, but lack the funds, so i'm holding off for now...

Also, you might just want to consider buying a good netbook

Wait a second, this is Overclock.net.... trash the netbook, BUILD IT BETTER!

Paul

·
OG
4,073 Posts
Panasonic ToughBook wont work?

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ysbl View Post
I'm building a Laptop. It needs to be durable as hell, and I couldn't find anything suitable. I'm planning to buy a 8.9" Doublesight monitor, a metal project box from Radioshack, and a MiniITX nettop Mobo/CPU/VGA combo and scavenge the rest. I looked at radioshack, and is there a way to get a computer to run off of batteries, using a PCB power conveter, and a molex cable?
there are toughbooks out there - hella shock proof and very strong and reliable. is price the factor?

either way sub'd for an interesting build. dont let ocn down

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hassasin195 View Post
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=29462

That will work. You just need to hack the DC power jack, and supply 12 volts... The best way that I thought of doing it (and using the least space) is to get a hobby quality rc car lipo pack. Probably a 3 cell pack (11.1V) or a 4 cell (14.8V) and just use some simple voltage regulators to get the voltage to 12V.

The reason for the lipo packs and not the nimh packs is because the lipo provide more amps (alot more), and that means more available watts. Even if you don't utilize them, the pack will last longer because lipo batteries typically have a higher capacity vs. nimh cells.

Simple as that.

All you need is a good lipo battery (maybe over 5000mah)
and a good balancing charger made for lipos, to charge the battery...
AND DON'T FORGET A LIPO CUTOFF ALARM!!! That will prevent the pack from over-discharging and exploding...

let's see... a 90w itx system plus a 35w screen(sounds about right) = 125w total.

125w divided by 12V = 10.4Amps

run time =
(battery mah) (X) 0.06 (divided by load (in amps))

5000mah x 0.06 / 10.4amps = 28 minutes of run time...

My solution would be to use two 10,000mah packs in parallel to get almost two hours of run time...

The wattage at the beginning might be off, but the formula is correct.
Also, if the battery is let's say 14.8V, then multiply it by the Mah(5000), and divide by the desired voltage (12), that means that the pack has a theoretical Mah of 6166.6

Just use the formulas, and you'll see how long the thing will run.

Btw, I have been devising a similar build for the last couple months, but lack the funds, so i'm holding off for now...

Also, you might just want to consider buying a good netbook

Wait a second, this is Overclock.net.... trash the netbook, BUILD IT BETTER!

Paul
What I'm planning is a LiPo from an old AirSoft rifle, this is it http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-BT-11L1800-S.htm. I need to basically hack the power leads from the battery and plug it into the PICOPSU's DC jack, right? I've got in possession Mobo, RAM, CPU, and HDD now, might buy a super low power PCI gpu. The old POS CPU I found was a either a P3 or P4, linux would be the best bet, I think? So it will be much cheaper than a frickin' $3500 toughbook. And Lol, back to my C64 days, I'm actually thinking of a 9 inch monochrome fold-out CRT, but something like this http://www.amazon.com/Screen-WSVGA-G...953598&sr=1-20 should work as well.

PICOPSU: $60
LiPo: $50
Monitor: $50
Case: $10

Total: $170

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
Quote:

What I'm planning is a LiPo from an old AirSoft rifle, this is it http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-BT-11L1800-S.htm. I need to basically hack the power leads from the battery and plug it into the PICOPSU's DC jack, right? I've got in possession Mobo, RAM, CPU, and HDD now, might buy a super low power PCI gpu. The old POS CPU I found was a either a P3 or P4, linux would be the best bet, I think? So it will be much cheaper than a frickin' $3500 toughbook. And Lol, back to my C64 days, I'm actually thinking of a 9 inch monochrome fold-out CRT, but something like this http://www.amazon.com/Screen-WSVGA-G...953598&sr=1-20 should work as well.

PICOPSU: $60
LiPo: $50
Monitor: $50
Case: $10

Total: $170
The problem is, how do you connect that screen to the mobo/GFX card?

I would buy a cheap note/netbook and salvage the inside and put it inside the care you're making. You then don't have to deal with the power problem and any other complexities, but this is purely an opinion so you don't really have to follow it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:

What I'm planning is a LiPo from an old AirSoft rifle, this is it http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-BT-11L1800-S.htm.
LINK TO THE BATTERY

I would at least get that... I hope that you ran the formula on the airsoft battery... ends up as 21 min runtime at 5 amps (more realistic view of power)
the 5000mah would last like 60 min...

CHARGER
and
Power Supply

That's the way i would go with it.

It would be quite a challenge as you have to solder up a circuit that would regulate the voltage to 12 volts, and maybe have it so that you can also run it off of the power on the pico psu...
POWER DIAGRAM MADE ON MS PAINT

I saw some 5cell packs (18V) on that website for the same price, i'll see if that will boost the battery life... i'll get some estimates drawn up tomorrow.

I wana see this thing come into manifestation

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts