Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sig Rig is what I am running currently. My mom wants a new computer so I figured the best thing to do would be to pretty much give her my old set up and use the new purchase to upgrade my system. As my computer will blow through anything anybody who lives in that house could throw at it. Then my new rig would be mostly for performance and gaming.

There isn't much to upgrade though but here is the purchase

CPU- Core i7 920 - $288.99 minus $10 promo code- Wanted to make the jump to DDR3 and this seemed like the processor to do it with.

Mobo- Asus rampage II extreme- $398.99 - From what I've been reading a phenomenal board. A little bit on the expensive side but what in this range isn't.

RAM- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 PC3 12800- $190

GPU- The 4870 from my current rig

HDD- The one from my rig

Optical Drive- The one from my rig

PSU- OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W- $54 after MIR. I was doing a power calculation it said that my current system could run on like 350ish watts and all the stuff going into this new one is pretty much the same stuff. The upgrade to modular power will definitely keep my cords more organized.

Case-NZXT tempest- whats not to love about this case

Then I have an extra 250GB HDD that I will reformat for her and a nice LG DVD burner. I plan on investing in a thermalright ultra 120 extreme Black edition for cooling but all in due time.
The end result is

My Computer/ My Mom's computer

Core i7 920/ AMD Phenom II X4 940
Asus Rampage II Extreme/ DFI LANPARTY DK 790GX
Corsair Dominator 6GB 3x2/ G.skill Pi 4gb 2x2
ATI Radeon HD 4870/ Nvidia 6600
640GB seagate 10,000/ 250gb seagate 7,200
7.1 HD audio X-fi sound card with the board/ None
OCZ ModXStream/ PC P&C 750
NZXT Tempest/ Thermaltake M9

Grand total on the purchase would be 1149.91 I bought my family's PC a nice wireless keyboard and mouse my mom and sisters will love that since they have been begging for one since they came out Logitech 967557-0403 if anyone cares. Well comment on the build thanks for feedback +rep to all those who help.

Another note I will be posting vastly more pics of this build as opposed to my last. Last time I was so excited and I didn't want to have to call my girlfriend over to bring the camera.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Looks like a solid build!
Only thing I would suggesst is I would swap PSU's (PCP&C 750 to your rig, OCZ 600 to the family) just for future upgrade's sake.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Seems like overkill for you're mom having such a system. I also recommend taking a look at the Corsair PSU's like the TX 750 and TX 850. I'm sure it will be a great system.

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
My only shun is of the power supply. Get a PC P&C or a Corsair unit, and give the OCZ to your mom. I don't like OCZ much (especially their "xstream" lines), regardless if they bought PC P&C.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Looks good. My only suggestion(other than the power supply which has already been suggested) is to buy two smaller 7200 rpm drives and put them in raid0.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Your mom will have a kick ass system ( minus the vid card). The system is pretty much better than mine.
Haha but nice build up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My mom has only ever bought a computer from a distributor like Dell, eMachines etc... She was going to again but I saved her with my upgrade.

CPU- Core i7 920- i7, nuff said?

Mobo- Asus P6T Deluxe- LOL pretty much the Asus rampage but $200 cheaper and it has faster RAM O.C. according to newegg.

RAM- OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)-better timing at 7-7-7-24

PSU- OCZ OCZ700MXSP 700W- Modular PSU ready for my crossfire upgrade.

GPU- Sapphire 4870 512Mb- going to watercool 2 Top ATI cards next release that is the plan. This suffices for now.

HDD- from current- ALL MY STUFF, NO WAY!!

Optical Drive- SAMSUNG Black SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe- Better drive

Case- Antec 1200- Better than tempest maybe but combo with mobo for $20 savings woot.

CPU cooler- Noctua NH-U12Phttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608007 upgrade from stock.

upgrade from first build i think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.