Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw this a while back and thought it was neat. Now I decided to do something fun and build one myself. The goal, of course, is to build a compact mini-itx system with an i7. I've kind of grown tired of the SUPER MEGA GPU trend, since I pretty much just blew money on them for nothing. Now I have 3 4870s and 2 4870X2s just sitting around doing nothing (not entirely true, since I am loaning them out to my friends) and I have gone back to my low-tech linux box anyway. So I like my operating system to be blazing fast and do everything in an instant, but I don't play games or anything so I figure, why not just go with some low power graphics and a nice processor and a SSD.

So, parts list:

Silverstone Sugo SG05-B Purchased
Intel i7-860 2.8 GHz Purchased
DFI LANParty MI P55-T36 Purchased
Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD Purchased
Seagate 1TB HDD Purchased
Kingston 4GB DDR3-1333 Purchased
LITE-ON Slot Load Slim CD/DVD Burner Purchased
XFX ATi Radeon HD5450 512MB Purchased

Corsair H50 Cooler

Jump To:
1. Unpacking
2. Hardware Shots 1
3. Problems
4. Complete

·
Registered
406 Posts
This looks interesting. I think it is a good idea for you to move away from power hungry graphics cards if you don't even game anymore. With an ssd and that i7 your goal of being blazing fast should be met. Good luck I look forward to seeing the final result.

p.s. What distro do you use?

• Rep+
Reactions: Girospeck

·
Premium Member
10,491 Posts
The one thing I cannot comprehend of the Cyberpower build is putting the 120mm fan outside the case. There are threads where folks quite effectively install H50's inside their Sugo5's. I think they were just after the supercharged look TBH.

Also, awesome build. Belongs in SFF sub-forum, but of course I would be the one to say that.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottery
View Post

This looks interesting. I think it is a good idea for you to move away from power hungry graphics cards if you don't even game anymore. With an ssd and that i7 your goal of being blazing fast should be met. Good luck I look forward to seeing the final result.

p.s. What distro do you use?

The one in my sig rig, CrunchBang Linux 9.04.01. I'm a big fan of minimalism but I am not adept enough to use Arch yet.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update
Bought most of the parts today. I'll still need to buy the H50 later, along with some new memory. For now I changed the memory to Crucial Ballistix 2x2GB, but I will probably just use the Kingston sticks I have until memory prices drop enough for 2x4GB to be affordable.

Still haven't decided on what to do with the graphics card, but I will probably go with a Visiontek 5450, which isn't available at Newegg yet. For now I will use this old nVidia 6800GT I have sitting around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonindeBeatrice
View Post

The one thing I cannot comprehend of the Cyberpower build is putting the 120mm fan outside the case. There are threads where folks quite effectively install H50's inside their Sugo5's. I think they were just after the supercharged look TBH.

I have seen some builds do that, but then what do they do to mount two hard drives? The SSD is easy to fit in, but I still need to fit another regular sized 3.5" HDD in there for storage. If I have to stick it in the eSATA case I have, then the small footprint idea gets kind of shot. I was thinking about mounting it vertically next to the graphics card with the SSD vertical next to the radiator, but that presents heat problems for the HDD methinks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonindeBeatrice
View Post

Also, awesome build. Belongs in SFF sub-forum, but of course I would be the one to say that.

I'll report my own thread and ask for it to be moved. TBH I totally forgot we had a SFF board.

Pics coming Saturday

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel bad for triple posting, but here are the first round of pictures. Once I get my set configured, I will take some detailed pictures of the hardware.

A package arrives!

And inside is:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Nice! Can't wait to see it all unboxed.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
OP, Congrats!! thats awesome! I never hear of name "lanparty" Mini-Itx before.. Anyway I cant wait to see your build cutie cube..

Good Luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff78
View Post

How do you fit the SSD and the HDD in there?

I wish silverstone would add a place for an SSD along with the 3.5" drive. doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do..

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As promised -- with 10 minutes to spare or so -- here are the Saturday pictures. A "First Opinions" review of the SG05B will follow tomorrow or something.

Case Front:

Rear:

Side open:

I will say that overall I am not satisfied with this case but I am going to keep it for now anyway. For my full opinions and reasons, you will have to wait for the longer review.

Also, for those who are interested, the SG05B comes with an FSP Power Supply. I, myself, wondered what brand made the PSU in it, as it was not listed even on the manufacturer's website.

And, of course, here is the motherboard:

I will declare that I am in no way a good photographer and that this was my first attempt at anything resembling formal product photography. My inspiration was Snipe Dogg's project thread. My camera is very cheap (5 mega pixel) and I really had no clue how to build a set to photograph stuff, so you can see below what I worked with:

·
Premium Member
7,331 Posts
subbed - this is going to be very similar to my build (that im waiting on my mobo for)

what gfx card you using?

there is mounts for a 2.5", 3.5" and the optical drive in this case btw

i want to see how you mount the H50 - ive seen a few different ways so far in this case.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Oh by the way Jess that bulge, in your first shot, on the top is because the cover isn't on properly.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottath
View Post

what gfx card you using?

Most likely a 5450. My preference is Visiontek, which is who I have bought all of my other ATi cards from, but their 5450 doesn't seem to be available yet. For now I will use something I have sitting around here in my closet until I can get what I want. Gonna splurge for some Corsair Dominators too, I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlankThis
View Post

Oh by the way Jess that bulge, in your first shot, on the top is because the cover isn't on properly.

Well the top is actually bent up. It arrived that way. I am trying to straighten it out. It definitely isn't of as quality metal as my other Silverstone cases are, imo.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts