Overclock.net banner

Project News

30174 305
PrimeGrid: TRP-Sieve Ending

Quote:It took longer than we anticipated, but we're moving forward now with our plans to complete the TRP-Sieve. Our rough estimate is that it will take about a month or two to reach optimal sieving depth.

I suspect most folks already did their "final badge hunting" when we first announced this back in August and September, but if you want to push for that next TRP-Sieve badge, now is the time to do it!

More details and discussion can be found in this forum thread.
261 - 280 of 306 Posts

· Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I've been using boinctui for the last 5 years or so. I added it to the "Useful BOINC-related Programs" thread a few years ago. Here's a link to the source if it's not available on your distro: GitHub - suleman1971/boinctui: Automatically exported from code.google.com/p/boinctui

If you use this with a bunch of different hosts it is easier and much quicker to add hosts via the conifg file (.boinctui.cfg).
XML:
<boinctui_cfg>
    <wtask_height_percent>7873
    </wtask_height_percent>
    <column_view_mask>-1
    </column_view_mask>
    <tasks_list_mode>2
    </tasks_list_mode>
    <tasks_sort_mode>7
    </tasks_sort_mode>
    <line_draw_mode>0
    </line_draw_mode>
    <server>
        <host>BOINC1
        </host>
        <port>31416
        </port>
        <pwd>1
        </pwd>
    </server>
    <server>
        <host>BOINC1-2
        </host>
        <port>31422
        </port>
        <pwd>2
        </pwd>
    </server>
    <server>
        <host>BOINC1-3
        </host>
        <port>31433
        </port>
        <pwd>3
        </pwd>
    </server>
    <server>
        <host>BOINC1-4
        </host>
        <port>31444
        </port>
        <pwd>4
        </pwd>
    </server>
        <server>
        <host>BOINC2
        </host>
        <port>31416
        </port>
        <pwd>1
        </pwd>
    </server>
    <server>
        <host>BOINC2-2
        </host>
        <port>31422
        </port>
        <pwd>2
        </pwd>
    </server>
    <server>
        <host>BOINC2-3
        </host>
        <port>31433
        </port>
        <pwd>3
        </pwd>
    </server>
    <server>
        <host>BOINC2-4
        </host>
        <port>31444
        </port>
        <pwd>4
        </pwd>
    </server>
</boinctui_cfg>

· Premium Member
6,192 Posts
WCG is moving from IBM to Krembil Research Institute

We're thrilled to announce that World Community Grid will now be run and supported by Krembil Research Institute, one of the world's leading basic science and clinical research institutions.

World Community Grid is becoming part of Krembil Research Institute, a leading scientific research institution in Toronto, Canada. Krembil Research Institute is part of the University Health Network, which is North America's largest hospital research network, and affiliated with University of Toronto, one of the world's top public universities. And just as importantly, it's the professional home of Dr. Igor Jurisica, Senior Scientist at Krembil, Professor at University of Toronto, and longtime World Community Grid collaborator. Dr. Jurisica will lead World Community Grid as it moves to its next chapter.

IBM created World Community Grid in 2004 as a proof-of-concept for distributed (or grid) computing. During its years with IBM, the program built a global volunteer base and became a significant source of computing power for humanitarian scientific research. And now, Krembil Research Institute will continue expanding the program.

· Once more into the Fold
3,120 Posts
Anyone want to take part in this?

[email protected]: [email protected] September Sailing
Dear participants!

Just now, your computers are hitting three protein targets at once . Due to the low runtimes and (mainly) the friendly contributions of participants and their teams, the data is being processed fast, and we express our gratitude to all of you.
We announce a new competition between teams, [email protected] September Sailing . Top winners will get the badges:
1st place:

2nd place:

3rd place:

Heme B , the well-known ligand in the complex of Hemoglobin , helps to carry oxygen in our bloodstream. As we know today, it has emerged from just two mutations that occurred in genome of one of predecessors of modern vertebrates more than 400 million years ago [1,2].

· Registered
167 Posts
Anyone want to take part in this?

[email protected]: [email protected] September Sailing
Dear participants!

Just now, your computers are hitting three protein targets at once . Due to the low runtimes and (mainly) the friendly contributions of participants and their teams, the data is being processed fast, and we express our gratitude to all of you.
We announce a new competition between teams, [email protected] September Sailing . Top winners will get the badges:
1st place:

2nd place:

3rd place:

Heme B , the well-known ligand in the complex of Hemoglobin , helps to carry oxygen in our bloodstream. As we know today, it has emerged from just two mutations that occurred in genome of one of predecessors of modern vertebrates more than 400 million years ago [1,2].
I'd love to

· Premium Member
6,192 Posts
I missed this but noticed today WCG has a new look

Apparently it was made by IBM before the switch over. Not many fans of it. I don't like it as the exact detail of days/hours per project is missing. Just 1 year, 2 year., etc.

· Premium Member
6,192 Posts

· Premium Member
6,192 Posts
A new Minecraft GPU/NV app is out

A new boinc project called trailertcrack has been deployed, it aims at cracking the seed for the Thumbnail 2 of the Trailer video of Minecraft (
), this is currently the last one missing so we can fully reproduce the original trailer within Minecraft in higher quality right in time for the 10th anniversary of this iconic piece of Minecraft history. (we do already have most of the seeds and this is an active project).

This app is GPU only and will be in beta until 03/10 where it will be rolled out to the public, as with all our gpu applications, credits are balanced out and should be equivalent to cpu runtime of our other projects. We currently only support Windows and Linux 64 bits for NVIDIA GPUs (we use cuda).

Happy crunching !
Cheers, Neil

· Premium Member
6,192 Posts
A bit old but one of the custom app writers from SETI, petri33, has done the same to the OpenCL app.

You should see some 17%-60% improvements with the current beta app and later on with the official one in Einstein.
It requires 465+ to get OpenCL v2.0 and beta apps selected. It is App v1.28 (FGRPopencl2Pup-nvidia)

Run test applications?: YES NO

from our testing, the Maxwell and older cards didn’t really see a benefit in the new code. But the gains for Pascal/Turing/Ampere were massive. Ampere cards are over 2x (100%+) faster with the code change.
No wonder my 3070Ti was nearly as fast as the Radeon VII

Some more info here

Looks like Ian asked tictoc to test it. I was wondering if the Linux/Radeon VII/Arch combo was you.

I'll have to try it by enabling Test apps.

· Premium Member
5,119 Posts
A bit old but one of the custom app writers from SETI, petri33, has done the same to the OpenCL app.

It requires 465+ to get OpenCL v2.0 and beta apps selected. It is App v1.28 (FGRPopencl2Pup-nvidia)

Run test applications?: YES NO

No wonder my 3070Ti was nearly as fast as the Radeon VII

Some more info here

Looks like Ian asked tictoc to test it. I was wondering if the Linux/Radeon VII/Arch combo was you.

I'll have to try it by enabling Test apps.
I ran a bunch of testing while they were developing the app. The beta app is actually 2-4% slower on my Radeon VIIs. It sounds like there is a bit of an improvement on Navi 3-5%, but not the huge gains that NVIDIA GPUs are seeing. I need to circle back and see if there is a new version of the app. I know they were going to do some profiling to try and see why the AMD performance wasn't as good as NVIDIA.

· Premium Member
6,192 Posts
In case anyone else is running LHC Atlas, tasks were sent out that were 1.9GB download. The task, not the app. So yeah, some disks were filled up.

Supposedly back to normal sizes

I happened to catch my PC not using all of its threads this morning and saw tasks were downloading. It ended up locking up and I couldn't get it fixed before work. I ended up trying to remove some exe and db files of other projects. But BOINC still thought I needed them all. I was able to later get network stopped on it and had to boinccmd detach some projects and dumped some CPDN tasks to make room. Man that was a PIA

· Premium Member
5,119 Posts
In case anyone else is running LHC Atlas, tasks were sent out that were 1.9GB download. The task, not the app. So yeah, some disks were filled up.

Supposedly back to normal sizes

I happened to catch my PC not using all of its threads this morning and saw tasks were downloading. It ended up locking up and I couldn't get it fixed before work. I ended up trying to remove some exe and db files of other projects. But BOINC still thought I needed them all. I was able to later get network stopped on it and had to boinccmd detach some projects and dumped some CPDN tasks to make room. Man that was a PIA
I happened to stop crunching ATLAS while the monster files were going out. I'm about to fire it up again. It looks like there are still some 1GB files going out. Are the results uploads the same size? That will really kill my super slow upload speeds.

--Edit--
First three twenty tasks dl'ing now, and they are the standard 250MB tasks.

· Registered
8 Posts
New experiment in RakeSearch

Dear all, We are excited to announce the return of RakeSearch!

https://rake.boincfast.ru/rakesearch/

Long-term collaboration with our colleagues from other Russian cities and the vast space of unsolved combinatorial problems have given us new challenges to be solved. The first challenge is to beat the current record on the number of transversals for DLSs of order 12. We already have tasks for the next 2 months, and there will be more.

Technically, we have moved the project to the new hardware server and updated the BOINC server software. We hope that this new setting will bring you a good experience!

261 - 280 of 306 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.