Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project OCTAVARIUM




My friend and I (Jax0527),being 14 years old, are dream theater freaks, so we decided we wanted to mod his case. Just more time to listen to progressive metal!
So be on the lookout for him, too. He'll be posting updates here as well from time to time. This is his case, and all of his parts are going into it.


Broke my iPod Kept this in a cabinet playing all the rush, symphony X and dream theater you could ever want.
Description: Some red, and some black, and at this point, a lot of bare aluminum and steel. Basically, I'm just doing whatever the hell I want to with my ATCS 840 case. Suggestions are welcome.

Things planned
  1. Paint the back black (check)
  2. Paint the innards a mix of red and black (check)
  3. hopefully, at some point, gain courage to de-rivet, paint, and re-rivet
    . (double-check[did it twice])
  4. MAYBE sleeving (tried it before with crappy sleeving. Not very fun)
  5. Paint Fans
  6. Somehow incorporate the symbol pictured above into the case mod
Here's some pics so far:

Started out with the motherboard tray:


Painted the inside red, then the back black:



Test fitting:


Priming up the plates from the back (Top power supply plates)


More to come!
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Whoa. This one certainly has my attention! I am going to enjoy following this.

So, it would be cool to somehow modify that rear fan vent into an octagon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Whoa. This one certainly has my attention! I am going to enjoy following this.

So, it would be cool to somehow modify that rear fan vent into an octagon.

Yeah, that would be pretty sweet.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
This has just jumped in my head: is there a possibility of having some sort of tribute to Mike Portnoy in this mod?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
This has just jumped in my head: is there a possibility of having some sort of tribute to Mike Portnoy in this mod?
I'm pretty sure anyone who understands the dream theater joke knows that it's completely dedicated to mike
. Just the question of how to incorporate it is still there. But we have huge plans for this case, so that means lots of planning. If you think of anything, go ahead and tell us now so we can add it into our plans lol.
OH MY GOD THE DUCT. We have to put the majesty symbol on the air duct on the back of the case. I'll print out a stencil tonight.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amantonas View Post
I'm pretty sure anyone who understands the dream theater joke knows that it's completely dedicated to mike
. Just the question of how to incorporate it is still there. But we have huge plans for this case, so that means lots of planning. If you think of anything, go ahead and tell us now so we can add it into our plans lol.
Alright! I kinda hope I do come up with something because I'm a bit of a DT freak too, so it would be kinda fun to stick my hand in this somewhere - that is, if I can become creative at some point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here we go:


One side red

Other side black























We had to repaint this handle so many times... Pain in the ass...






 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Whoa. Just... whoa.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax0527 View Post
Heading to home depot. Had some setbacks with the paint. Need more. Be back later.
You're the owner, I take it? I'll get you added to the club once this is confirmed. This is turning out REALLY nice.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
Taking cases all the way apart to paint them different colors is silly. And by silly, I mean AMAZING. It looks very nice.
This.

I think that this is perhaps the most impressive thing to me so far. I just love it when somebody has so much passion for what they're doing that they pay attention to every single detail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
this is an awesome looking mod so far.

Im looking at ripping my case apart when i get to buying it so i can do some sort of paint job on it.

ill definitely keep an eye on this mod!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Thanks every one for watching this case progress I'm still not done with it yet. I still think its lacking somthing if you could sugest somthing it would me much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
You're the owner, I take it? I'll get you added to the club once this is confirmed. This is turning out REALLY nice.

Yes im the owner. I would love to be in the ATCS 840 club I have been wanting to be be in it but I didn't know how to join if you add me that would be awesome thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah. We're thinking of some mods to the outside, so if anyone has anything in mind, we'll probably do it, no question. We just need ideas first.
We have way too much time on our hands.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Hmm. I have a feeling that this might help somehow:

http://dt.spatang.com/octavarium.php

I found it on accident while just doing a Google Image Search on Octavarium's album art.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Hmm. I have a feeling that this might help somehow:

http://dt.spatang.com/octavarium.php

I found it on accident while just doing a Google Image Search on Octavarium's album art.

That is a great find. I know what I am going to do with this. I am going to, some how, add one or more of these pics to the front of my case on the front fan cover. I might use printable sticker paper and maybe make a mural on the front and have the Majesty Symbol on the front fan cover.
(This is all coming to me during school. I risked getting my computer privelages taken away for this. Worth it for the find
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top