Overclock.net banner

What should the Project of The Month for October 2010 be?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
October 2010 Project of The Month is [email protected]!

The Project of The Month is an idea that came originally from the Canadian BOINC team. The purpose is to have team support for a project, particularly ones that are suffering (that are active and always have work) and let the community vote on which one will be the team's Project of The Month

Past Project of The Month projects are: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and RNA World

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by steadly2004
View Post

Gotta nominate WCG (unless it's been a monthly project before?)

Project of The Month is more geared towards smaller projects that are in dire need of computational help.
World Community Grid is a really popular project. The team currently has over 1.4 million credit and earns a modest rate on a daily basis.

Due to this, for now, I wouldn't put WCG as a nominated project. However, since we are ranked 1,293 in teams worldwide for that project, I may add it in as a late addition depending on the total number of nominated projects.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm going to nominate [email protected]

Haven't run it before, crunching my first WUs now. CPU only, non-multithreaded, the project sent about 180 work units when I attached, looks like they will take at least 30 mins on my Q6600s

I tend to like the mathematics and space modeling projects.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice nomination there Kilzon, [email protected] is now in production mode

Quote:
We are pleased to announce that [email protected] is now in production mode. WUs are generated now at a rate of about 300,000 every week, each one requiring about one hour to complete on average personal computers. We plan to maintain this production rate for at least one month, and then reassess how to continue the research.
With 300,000 WUs a week being generated, we are bound to go the entire month without depleting the servers of work units for once!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamer11200 View Post
With 300,000 WUs a week being generated, we are bound to go the entire month without depleting the servers of work units for once!
Hopefully it runs smooth, gonna let it run tonight and tomorrow on one machine and report results and/or issues after work tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,446 Posts
Quote:

Project of The Month is more geared towards smaller projects that are in dire need of computational help.
World Community Grid is a really popular project. The team currently has over 1.4 million credit and earns a modest rate on a daily basis.

Due to this, for now, I wouldn't put WCG as a nominated project. However, since we are ranked 1,293 in teams worldwide for that project, I may add it in as a late addition depending on the total number of nominated projects.
I earn the modest rate for us each month in WCG lol

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Quote:

My bad, I didn't read the first post. I remember when the idea of project of the month was coming up. I just figured it kept everybody doing something together each month and busy electing/voting/helping that project.

I almost suggested we do dnetc, lol to get everybody boosting up OCN stats haha

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
I nominate [email protected] Just started that today, and would like to see OCN in the top 1000.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Added. Thanks Zodac!

@steadly2004, [email protected] is an amazing project if you are hungry for some credits! But don't worry about OCN stats not being boosted, the BOINCers gone Bonkers event starts this weekend and I'm expecting 7 Million credit/day from us

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Yeah, but it looks like they might have postpones the server downtime for DNETC, just to disrupt our event.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac View Post
Yeah, but it looks like they might have postpones the server downtime for DNETC, just to disrupt our event.

That's horrible. I currently have 190 dcnet cuda completed and not reported, and another 20 crunching at 6:20 or so per unit. I'm going to run out quick. I am hoping that once the boincers gone bonkers happens the dnetc servers come back online and I get a sudden boost of credits.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:

Nice nomination there Kilzon, [email protected] is now in production mode

Looks like they're having problems already, site and servers have been down all day

1 - 20 of 82 Posts