Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so I started out thinking I was just gonna get a better cooler and a fan controller. It has now rolled into a huge overhaul...

Items Purchased over the last 2 weeks:

• 1 Dremel Stylus with cutting addon pack
  • 1 Megatron CPU cooler
  • 1 bottle of OCZ Freeze
  • 3 Yate Loon high speed LED 120mm X 25mm fans
  • 3 San Ace 120mm X 38mm fans
  • 100 twisty ties
  • 2 cans of Plastidip
  • 1 additional Drive bay for secure front fan install
  • 2 Black wire fan guards with 4 sets of Grommets
  • 6 3-pin extension wires
  • 1 roll of painters tape
  • 1 pack of metal files
  • 1 Right-angle ruler
  • 1 Acrylic side panel w/c-channel and LED lights
  • 1 Lumin Disk
Steps to take:
  1. Run Prime95, check CoreTemp, record stats.
  2. Take out components from case entirely.
  3. Cut out 12"x12" side panel to prep for pre-cut acrylic with 120mm hole.
  4. Cut out hexagon pattern over back exhaust fan area.
  5. Cut out more holes as needed for cable management.
  6. Spray paint case and drive bays with Plastidip. Let dry...duh!
  7. Install Megatron w/San Ace fan in push config onto Mobo
  8. Attach acrylic side panel/LED Yate fan and black wire fan guard
  9. Install back exhaust San Ace fan with black wire fan guard
  10. Install 2nd San Ace fan for Top exhaust
  11. Reinsert reusable original parts
  12. Install 1st front intake LED Yate fan on original drive bay
  13. Install 2nd drive bay to properly install 2nd front intake LED Yate fan
  14. CABLE MANAGEMENT!
  15. Run Prime95, Check Coretemp, record stats. (Temps yet to be compared with SS's)
Other steps: Take lots of pictures before, during, after and create work log on OCN.

Other possible projects:
  • Etch Overclock.net logo onto acrylic side panel. (Completed) ADDED LUMIN DISK
  • Do something to improve top panel. I don't like the fact I have 1 used fan port out of the 2 available but I don't think its necessary to add another fan. So I'd like to maybe replace the top panel with acrylic or just cut some acrylic for it with a 120mm fan hole.
Most people know what a CM590 case looks like but here is a picture of what mine looked like in the beginning

Plenty more to follow, I have taken about 2 dozen photos and will upload with captions later tomorrow. Been on the project for the last 6 hrs and it is getting late here so I am going to get some sleep.

Good Morning! Round 1 here we go:

Right before I rip into her

Notice the stellar cable management! Here I have already installed the 2 San Ace and Rhoebus fan controller ahead of time to test them out. They do great but they are part of this overhaul now

Ahhh the beautiful couple, Megatron and Mr. Freeze!

They look the same but don't judge a fan by its looks. Stock Apevia low speed (junk) next to Yate Loon high speed.

My new 3 San Ace 101's and 3 Yate Loon high speed fans. Can you feel the powa!?

Some of the tools of the trade

Vigor Monsoon III about to be ripped off

Not much holding it down

Megatron's here!

San Ace 38mm and Megatron mod in place, do you see the 25mm clips w/zipties?

Look at that! No not those...that...the fan is actually so tight its pushing the RAM aside...it still fit though and shouldn't be a problem. Next up...NAKED PICS!

NAKED CASE!

Parts of the puzzle, I guess I could have taken out the center piece

Ready for some cuts

Pretty damn good for my first cut EVER!

Alright...I am headed back on it this morning. Hopefully will have it fully cut and painted and while it is sitting around drying I can come back with some more to add. Thanks for watching!

Good Afternoon, Plastidip paint job done. The flash makes it look like I missed some spots but I can assure you it looks good.

Back and side panels done

HD Bay done and that's it for painting

Letting it dry for the night and gonna see what else I can do while I wait.

Ok so I finished this weekends mods very late last night. It turned out pretty damn good. Think I did a pretty good job of cable management too. I do need some sleeving and probably will move the UV button to the front somehow. Only problem I had really was the fact that I set the HDD bay too far forward and had to unscrew some of the screws which took some of the plastidip with it. I am thinking I will put the little slide locks back on to cover that up.

Nice picture to show both the finished cutaways and fan guards....anyone notice the big mistake I made with my wiring yet...

didn't find it? I forgot to attach power to the hard drive LOL.....yea I even plugged it all in and didn't even notice till I hit the post bios screen ROFL!

So, that's it for this weekend. This week and next weekend I will be working on the side panel window and maybe get an optional mod done as well. We will see....thanks again for watching!

Finally got my window mod done. The etching looks fabulous, the pictures don't do it justice (will try to get better night shot) I pointed 2 sets of twin blue LED lights into the side of the acrylic to give the logo's more of a glow then the interior of the case. Check it out and tell me what you think!

Update May 17th: I found a Lumin Disk at Spencers I like. Gonna pick it up and mod it in place of the fan on my side panel...
Update2: Picked up the rainbow one not the blue one :cry gonna get the right color tomorrow and mod it in...will update pics.
HERE IT IS! Lumin Disk installed. Check out that mounting system LOL, that was a tough one..coolest thing is I have the LED's and Disk setup on my fan controller and when I turn the fan controller down all the way it shuts off the Lumin Disk but keeps the LEDs up. Amazing!

And....here is the video:

·
Programmer
28,683 Posts
are those yours shadowclock. you know what picture am on about.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Couldn't you put the fan on the other side to solve the ram squishing issue? (also if you want more than 5 sticks of ram) or are you going to put one on both sides anyway?

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post
are those yours shadowclock. you know what picture am on about.
Yea those are my fiance's LOL..we are getting married in September.

Quote:
Couldn't you put the fan on the other side to solve the ram squishing issue? (also if you want more than 5 sticks of ram) or are you going to put one on both sides anyway?
I have always seen a push over a pull config so I didn't want to deviate from that. I don't believe I will want any more RAM at least not anytime soon, 6GB is plenty at the moment. I would like to maintain some separation between the sticks and I think that is why it came stock separated like that but would it matter much if I slid them all next to each other?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Keeping them seperated is part of the tri-channel ram concept so yes, it would make a difference and it is better to use every other slot unless you have more ram.

And with that heatsink, I'm not sure how push would be any better than pull in this case, or any case for that matter.

Also, pushing on the ram like that can't be good and should probably be avoided.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler View Post
enjoy your modding now, while it lasts

(sorry not trying to be cynical, congrats)
LOL. We have been together for 3 yrs. Unlike most relationships I still wear the pants. As long as I am bringing the bread then I will continue to hold on to my hobbies

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
... for now...

j/k. nice mods... keep it up

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Problem!

The 38mm fan on top won't fit with the KB/Mouse socket in the way.

No one ever uses these interfaces anymore anyway since you can connect via a USB. So...how do I remove the KB/Mouse interface without harming anything?

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Upon further looking it seems that some heatsinks are in the way as well. I will have to order a 25mm fan for the whole I cut. Now I will have to cut the other slot for the 38mm.

EDIT: Looks like for now I will have to utilize a 25mm fan on that location....which leaves me with an unused San Ace at the moment. hmmmm

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowclock
View Post

Upon further looking it seems that some heatsinks are in the way as well. I will have to order a 25mm fan for the whole I cut. Now I will have to cut the other slot for the 38mm.

EDIT: Looks like for now I will have to utilize a 25mm fan on that location....which leaves me with an unused San Ace at the moment. hmmmm

I will take the San-Ace off your hands lol.

BTW, looking good so far.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great build, however just want to inform you of something-

The megatron is pushing the ram sideways, creating a imperfect socket connection. Through regular wear and tear, the ram might keep wiggling, losing connecting and regaining connection. Then the ram might short out and die. It happened with my video card, just thought you might want to look into that.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts