Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I finally have been able to work a little bit more on this project and decided it was time for a Build Log. Sorry for not posting updates sooner but I went to state competition one weekend and Kentucky the next weekend.

***56k Warning*** May take a while to load. I had dial up until a few months ago so I know how it goes.

The goal here is to watercool my M17 laptop while keeping the case as stock as possible. I am also trying to build a portable box to house the res, rad, and pump. Hopefully I can figure out how to wire an old laptop battery into the box to run the pump and fans. Here is the current CPU cooler. Underneath the pipes on the left side is the Northbridge chip. Might try and cool that also.

Parts:
Swiftech MCP355 Pump
XSPC Top for MCP355
X-Flow Black Ice Xtreme II Radiator
Yate Loon 120mmx20mm Medium Speed Fan x4
Bitspower 5.25" Bay Reservoir
Koolance 3/8" Quick Disconnect L-Bracket
Koolance F Splitter (3/8" to 2 1/4")
3/8" Clear Tubing (for inside the cooling box)
3/8" UV Orange Tubing (for in between the cooling box and laptop)
1/4" Clear Tubing
Bitspower Black Sparkle G1/4" Barb Fitting for 3/8" ID

As you can see I'm running out of desk space.

The case proved to be a bit tricky. I didn't want to have to fabricate a full metal box (it would be very heavy) but I also didn't have anything laying around the house that would work. Finally found a tackle box on clearance at Kmart that should work.

I then mounted the reservoir to the lid

Just got the fans yesterday. I didn't have any screws that could mount it to the radiator so I had to run to Meijer real quick and get some (9pm at night after work, Menards and Lowes were closed). I have them configured in a push-pull setup. I read on other threads that other people who set up their rads like this were very satisfied with the results so I figured what the hell I'll do it.

Cut the holes for the airflow

The Koolance GPU waterblock. Looks nice.

Definitely won't need lapped. It's mirrored finish already.

Leak tested everything using two laundry baskets

Tested it for about 40min and everything worked perfectly. I then went to install it and found out that the water block didn't include any screws that fit the holes on the laptop. I popped the lock ring off of two of the screws on the air cooling water block and then made a bracket using an Antec 900 slot cover I had laying around. Turned out to be a decent bracket. I also stuck one of the ramsinks included with the water block on the chip by the CPU (I think its the NB).

I don't have a battery to wire in yet so my setup will be using a 100W power supply I borrowed from my teacher to run the pump and fans. It's not exactly a mobile solution yet (Unless I lug my UPS around with me
).

Also I cut the holes to mount the QDC bracket in. I had to cut the bracket down so it would sit flush with the side.

Temps are down a lot! Used to run in mid-40s.

Now to update the BIOS so I can overclock

I had to clear out some of the casing to make room for more tubing. It didn't weaken the laptop's frame one bit.

2nd block came so I installed it on the GPU. Threw a ramsink on each of the 4 ram chips.

Tubing redone and managed to fit the splitters inside the case.

Battery (4600mAh NIMH) works. Wired it into a switch, inline fuse, and a male 4-pin molex connector.

Mounted battery in the lid

Made two grills out of chicken wire and screen. Not the most professional but they'll do.

Mounted the switch for the battery into the lid.

This made it quite interesting to use my laptop for a few days while spray painting the tackle box. I started on a Saturday but couldn't work on it again til the following Wednesday due to rain Sunday-Tuesday (Yes I did the painting outside, didn't have any other place to do it).

Dryed, reassembled, and set up. I left the switch out so I could run the power wire in through the hole. Should be getting a charger for the battery next week though so I can disconnect the ugly gray psu sitting on top.

*****Final Update 5/25/09*****

I am very sorry to say that every effort to run the MCP355 pump off of a battery failed. I could not get it to start whatsoever. Without everything running off of a battery it takes away the portability of a laptop and therefore becomes useless. I am back on air cooling now at stock clocks. I will be selling all the parts and possibly even the laptop on ebay (If I sell the laptop I'm building a desktop and getting a netbook for internet and college). One day when I have more money and also plan it out better I will do this again, sucessfully. Thank you everyone for your comments, you'll never know how much they were appreciated.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wow, this should be interesting... Can't wait to see more..

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
subd

·
Registered
900 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by omaryunus View Post
awesome stuff I have an M17x and cant wait to see how you pull this off im pretty sure you will be using QDs for the pipes out of the laptop??

SubD

I'll prolly mount them on the laptop lid and then put the splitters immediately after them. The 1/4" tubes will then run into the laptop through holes I'll cut on the backside.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I just found out that I am apparently only good at case modding and not making cooling parts
. The pieces of copper wound up not cooperating and covered in JB Weld (both inside and out). Needless to say I got :swearing: and chucked it (literally) into the trash can. I just checked my bank balance and am now ordering a Koolance GPU-180-H06 water block to use. It has enough dissipating capacity for my quad core and is the lowest profile water block i have found. This is also the same water block that Koolance uses in their Xbox kit. I was trying to avoid Koolance after all of the bad comments about them but guess I'll have to give em a try.

:swearing::swearing::swearing::swearing::swearing: :swearing::swearing: (I'm not in a good mood right now)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.