Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and welcome to my work log! Lets start off with a little background information for all you reading types out there. However, if you don't like to read, worry not. There will be lots of pretty pictures for you to look at.....Oooo.....pictures
Not only will this be my first case mod, this will also be my first time building my own rig. Hey, you gotta start sometime, right? I mean, it's better late than never.

Ok, the parts that I'll be working with will consist of the following:

NEW:
mobo- GIGABYTE Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe
RAM - 1GB SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
VID - GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16
PSU - 450W
CPU Cooler - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro

Recycled from old rig:
HDD - 160Gb @7200 rpm
DVD - Double Layer DVD+/-RW

Accessories:
Thermal Paste - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Lighting - (2) LOGISYS Computer 4" Blue Cold Cathode Light Kits

Now for the the case. I'm always on the lookout for a bargin so I decided to hit up our IT department. Lucky for me they told me to go through the back storage room. They had a pile of old computers and parts that were just sitting there collecting dust and were about to be disposed of. So, after about 30min of digging, I was slowly starting to loose hope. The only decent cases were banged up micros, which just wouldnt work.

After almost giving up on finding anything that was post 1990, I looked over and there she was. A Gateway 2000 server.....Paydirt! I thought that this must be too good to be true. After consulting the "boss" he said that it was perfectly ok for me to haul it off. We brought it to the desk and started to take out all the hardware. My only regret is not taking a picture of the dual pentium IIs. I know how much you all would've enjoyed that
I also had to laugh when I seen the HUGE six 4Gb hard drives that rested inside.

So, I finished cleaning it out and hurried home. Since the parts I ordered wont come in until Monday or Tuesday, that gives me some time to work on my rigs new home. So, without further adew, I officially start the work log on my appropriately named "Spartan 2000."

just brought her home

Here's a better view

Left Side

Right Side

A view of the top

To give you an idea of the Height

and the width

Lets see whats behind her front panel

Now lets start to strip this beauty

Here it is all stripped down (close your eyes kids)

From another angle

Finnaly, this is everything I have to work with

Unfortunately, the fans only have 2 wires so I wont be able to use those. First thing tomorrow morning, I'm going to cut out a window for the side panel, cut out a blowhole in the top, and begin the painting proccess. I'm going to go with the usual black case but am thinking about adding some blue here and there to match the lighting for the inside. One thing i havent decided on yet is what size fans to use. There is plenty of room for circulation so I dont think I'm going to need to add an extra fan in the side panel.

So far my fan setup looks like this: 2 intake in the front, 2 exhaust in the back (including the PSU), and a blowhole in the top. Since this is my first....ummm....everything, I'm sure it will be pretty interesting, but hopefully not interesting to the point that I run into a bunch of problems. Though I do anticipate some alongthe way. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
I have an old Gateway Desktop Case that I will try to mod soon... Had a PII in it. Mainly, for office use. I have like 3 of them cases around
Anyways, nice score and them old Gateways are built to last!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I didn't get as much done today as I would have liked to, but at least I did get a few things done. I was pretty busy all day long and had to go be in our local veteran's day parade (no, i'm not a veteran) When I got back, I cut out the window on the side panel and started painting. I don't think I'm going to cut the blowhole in the top, but that not a definite yet. I'll probably change my mind a few times though

To cut out the panel windows, I started with a large drill bit for my starting point, and made the cut with a jigsaw using a fine tooth metal blade. Since the front panel cover is plastic, I decided to go with that Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastics. This stuff is great and I highly recommend it. It goes on smooth, dries in minutes, and if you get the high gloss it really shines.

Ok, Ok, I know you're getting impatient, so here are some more pictures

Here, I traced out the design I wanted on the side panel

I think the cuts came out pretty good considering I'm no expert at this....and I dont own a Dremel

Just a dry fit to see round about how it's going to look. By the way, the small circle is just a window. I don't think I'm going to mount a fan there.

It was a bit late when I started painting, so the farthest I've gotten was the plastic front cover. Remember what I said about the Krylon?

Front panel, second coat dried.

Front panel door, second coat dried

Some of the smaller parts

and an overall view of the three painted parts.
[sarcasm] Yep, I used shoeboxes and newspaper to lay the parts on......is there anything better
[/sarcasm]

Since, I have no plans tomorrow, I'm going to try and get as much done as I can. All in all, I hope to get the case mostly completed tomorrow. Since I'm keeping everything pretty simple for this build, things should go by rather quickly and trouble free...or so I hope. As usual, I'll keep you updated along the way as best as I can.

So, until then...cheers.

·
Yes
1,744 Posts
Lookin good spartan. that is some seriously clean cutting!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaLLeNAn9eL View Post
Lookin good spartan. that is some seriously clean cutting!!
Thanks. I cut it inch by inch and held it down with clamps so it wouldnt move on me. If you were to ask me if I could do it again, the answer would be no. I'm still not too sure how I got it to come out looking fairly good. lol

Well, today was a boring day. I spent most of my time applying paint and waiting for it to dry enough for the next coats. It still feels like I didnt get much done though. I got everything painted up and now all the peices are sitting in the drying booth (aka utility room). I'm going to let it sit until toorrow evening, that way it has a chance to set up before I start the assembly proccess.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way everything came out. I only had to use two coats of paint and didnt feel that I had to apply any clear coat to it. It's shiney enough without it, or so I think. So, on to the next group of picture. Theese consist of...you guessed it....paint! ( I know how much you all so love looking at paint )

Here is the paint I used on all the metal. It works well, but comes out a little thick. If you decide to use this, I suggest applying many thin coats opposed to a few thick ones. This stuff likes to pool and run a bit. The good thing is, that it evens itself out.

This is that Krylon I was telling you about. Once again, I highly recomend this for all your plastic peices. It comes out at a perfect rate and it's not too thin or too thick.

Here is everything laid out and ready to paint. Once again I'm using newspaper and plastic to paint on and have everything elevated with blocks of wood. (you know, that high grade stuff the proffesionals use
)

Ok, to save me the time and you your sanity, I'm not going to show me painting every single peice. I assume you all know how to paint. We'll skip ahead to everything finished.

Here is the side panel. Everything is pretty dry so this is close to the real color and intensity of the gloss.

Here is the casis. I think this one turned out pretty good.

For the small plastic peices and buttons, I decided to paint theese blue. It looks pretty bright here, but it's actually a few shades darker. I figured since the lighting in the case will be blue, I should paint a few parts that color. That way instead of seeing just an all black case, there will be some accent peices here and there.

So, tomorrow is the big day. All my parts I ordered should be coming in. I'm realy excited about it. The bad news is, I have classes from 8am all the way until tomorrow night! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be patient (im not a patient person). If or when I get the time tomorrow, I'm going to assemble the case and get everything ready for all the hardware. So far everything has been going pretty smooth, I just hope it stays that way.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
That's actually turning into a pretty good looking case.
Great modding, my friend.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xtr3m3 View Post
looking good so far. I suggest you to get some molding for the side window.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post
Nice work, how on earth did six drives fit in that case?
Yeah, I plan on getting some molding for it; we'll see how that whole thing goes. As for the six drives, there were two mounted directly under the PSU and another four mounted in the front of the case. They sure didn’t leave much breathing room in there. I'm going to move the small HDD bay to the front and leave out the other "non-necessity" bays and parts that were all crammed in there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicfission92 View Post
looking good man. Are you gonna be wetsanding and clearcoating the panels for a mirror shine?
I didnt realy plan on adding a clear coat since it is pretty high gloss as it sits, but the more I think about it the more I'm starting to consider it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol, as for the fan setup, i had to tweak it again a bit. I'm using a 120 for the rear exauhst and two 80mm for the intake. One 80mm in the front and one on the side where the small hole is, unless you guys can suggest anything a little better.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
lol, as for the fan setup, i had to tweak it again a bit. I'm using a 120 for the rear exauhst and two 80mm for the intake. One 80mm in the front and one on the side where the small hole is, unless you guys can suggest anything a little better.
Just have negative pressure and you should be good. I like the small window idea instead of a fan there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post
Just have negative pressure and you should be good. I like the small window idea instead of a fan there.
yeah, i didnt realy want to block that round window, i like the idea of it being there. In that case, I'll just mount the other 80mm next to the other one up front.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I made a little bit of progress today, but not realy anything to speak of. I'm at a bit of a standstill until my hardware comes in. At any rate though, all the paint is completely dried and I started to fit some things together. So lets just get into it shall we.

Here's the chasis. Once more, i think it came out pretty good.

I mounted the 120mm on the back of the case. It looks a few shades lighter here, but it's actually pretty black.

I also went ahead and drilled out some places to mount the two 80mm I'll be using. The are at the bottom front of the case.

Here, you can see some of the switches being mouned back into place. I was going to paint them but decided not to since they go unseen anyway.

Front panel. Painted the buttons a nice blue for contrast.

here is the panel with the door open. Once again, I painted the small blanks blue for contrast. The top bay will house my usb and card reading cluster, separated by the first blank, and the bottom bay will be for the DVD drive. I wont be using a floppy so the two bottom plates will stay.

At 6:00pm the UPS guy came and dropped off one of my items. He usualy comes by 4:00, what a slacker. lol

Yep, this is the lighting that will be going inside. Of course blue to match the other stuff.

Thats it for today. I'm realy looking forward to tomorrow. Everything else should be delivered then. Then we can realy get things moving and concentrate on putting the hardware in and getting this thing running. Before that though, I still have to put in the plexi. Sounds like a job for the morning.

·
Registered
764 Posts
nice work really shaping up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts