Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past, I've made a few different kinds of wallmounts for my triple screen setup. Check out the links in my sig if you're interested. This time around, I wanted to make it as flat as possible, to get it as streamlined as possible.

First, I used some 6" wide pieces of 1/2" poplar, cut at 45 degrees, with at least an inch of flat part. One half of the 45 degree cut I bolted on the back of my side monitors...

and the other half I attached to the top of a solid board wallmounted to the wall. I used 2" drywall screws, and made sure to put felt pads on the back of the board (I pulled a bunch of paint off my wall at my last house because I skipped this step).

To make sure the 45 degree wedge on top stayed put, I put in a few screws. Gotta use a countersink to make sure the screw heads don't break the plane of the 45 degree angle and mess up where the monitor fits on top.

Now, for the middle monitor. I just used a length of the 6" board, cut at 45 degrees on both ends, and countersunk for the screws. When drilling them in, they actually went in at 45 degrees relative to the board, and at a right angle directly into the wall. Then, just use the same technique for the wedge system attached to the back of the monitor and the top of the support board.

And for the finished product. Ignore the top monitor, I used a cheap wall-mount arm for that one, just added it about an hour ago (yes, I know it's like half an inch too low). The wedges fit perfectly into each other, and the monitors lay perfectly flat against the wall. Gotta say, I'm pretty happy with this iteration of my wallmounting.

In keeping with the wallmount theme, I wallmounted my speakers and headphones, too. I love all the extra desk space.

Total for this project was only like $8 for the cost of the 4' x 6" x 1/2" poplar board. Lemmie know what yall think. Questions/comments appreciated

·
Too Poor For This
7,055 Posts
It looks great except for the head phones. I feel like you can get a nicer looking hook at a home depot for cheap that will loo better then a screw. Are you running Nvidia Surround? I originally thought eyefinity but I see your rig has a 280.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I dig everything but the nail
Looks fresh, clean, professional. Maybe try and find a rubberized hook or something? (black rubber)..

Also, I like the desk. Where might I find something like that??

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by konspiracy View Post
How did you get Your other two screens to have a bar at the bottom?
Ultramon. Great program. The top monitor has one, too, but its just out of view (again, it's drooping a bit, I need to reinstall it)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gre0481 View Post
I dig everything but the nail
Looks fresh, clean, professional. Maybe try and find a rubberized hook or something? (black rubber)..

Also, I like the desk. Where might I find something like that??
I know, the screw is ghetto. I'm gonna get something better soon. As for the desk, I made it out of a sheet of 3/4" MDF and 2x4's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW_TDI_02 View Post
It looks great except for the head phones. I feel like you can get a nicer looking hook at a home depot for cheap that will loo better then a screw.

[Edit]
Are you running Nvidia Surround? I originally thought eyefinity but I see your rig has a 280.
Nope, no surround, just Ultramon and the normal Windows 7 multi-monitor support. No complaints so far. I just use SoftTH for gaming and it seems to work alright

EDIT: crap, double-post...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re-mounted the top monitor today, so now the whole screen is visible. Here's a nice panorama of the view from my chair:

If anyone is interested in making something similar, I can type up a lot more detail, including measurement hints and stuff like that to make the mounting easier and make the monitors align perfectly. But I don't want to go through all that unless someone's interested. Lemmie know

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacophony View Post
it's called ultramon.
I switched from it to Actual Multiple Monitors (http://www.actualtools.com/multiplemonitors/) due to better support of Windows 7 and highly recommend AMM for everyone who uses 2 or more monitors.

Especially I like additional taskbar on my second monitor that has all features of main taskbar like Start button, toolbars, clock and tray area with notification icons. Even more, it has Pin to Taskbar and Grouping feature of Windows 7.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
This is KICK...BUTT! I just ran across this in your signature and it has totally inspired me to want to do the same thing! First I have to work on the tri monitor setup. Lol If I can ask, what desk are you using? It seems very clean and open, I like that look.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Blade†;12113043
This is KICK...BUTT! I just ran across this in your signature and it has totally inspired me to want to do the same thing! First I have to work on the tri monitor setup. Lol If I can ask, what desk are you using? It seems very clean and open, I like that look.
Glad I could get someone to want to build the same thing! I made the desk myself. It's just painted 3/4" MDF and 2x4's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven9st surfer;10215079
Re-mounted the top monitor today, so now the whole screen is visible. Here's a nice panorama of the view from my chair:

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

If anyone is interested in making something similar, I can type up a lot more detail, including measurement hints and stuff like that to make the mounting easier and make the monitors align perfectly. But I don't want to go through all that unless someone's interested. Lemmie know
a few things.. Awesome job. I am contemplating doing something very similar. Previously, I had the back upright support for my desk extend upwards to support the middle monitor, and then I had a pair of these on each side to mount the other 2.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082802&p_id=4854&seq=1&format=2

however, once I mounted my desk in a different position, I used just these 2 on the wall directly to mount 2 monitors, and made due with that.

Now I am planning on taking your mount design, and attaching these 2 arms to the back of it, to hold the weight.

My question is what did you do to mount the top monitor, and what is the clock background you have running on the left monitor?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder;12853845
My question is what did you do to mount the top monitor, and what is the clock background you have running on the left monitor?
I used a standard cheap swing-arm style mount for the top monitor, and the clock thing is a skin for rainmeter. "10-foot HUD" if i recall correctly

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.