Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My sig computer (E6600, 4GB Ram, 8800GTX) is up for phase-out

Looking to grab an i5, i7s are a bit expensive right now. Pretty much need Mobo/CPU/RAM/Video

Can I get an i5 setup with $500 or so?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only play Starcraft2 .. and a lot of random techie stuff I suppose. Nothing too intensive, I just haven't been keeping up with hardware recently. Do I need the beefy video card?

·
Registered
125 Posts
One thing right off the bat is you can get the same CPU and Mobo as part of a combo and instantly knock off $38 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.493864

That being said though, might I suggest just getting a new video card first and seeing how that goes? I just upgraded to the same card you're considering from a 8800 GTS and it alone has made a huge difference in all the games I play. I'm sure it would for you as well, and for significantly cheaper. And of course if it's still not good enough, you can always just get the rest of the pieces later.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by downloads_plz
View Post

One thing right off the bat is you can get the same CPU and Mobo as part of a combo and instantly knock off $38 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.493864

That being said though, might I suggest just getting a new video card first and seeing how that goes? I just upgraded to the same card you're considering from a 8800 GTS and it alone has made a huge difference in all the games I play. I'm sure it would for you as well, and for significantly cheaper. And of course if it's still not good enough, you can always just get the rest of the pieces later.

I agree, just get the 460 for now and see if it makes you happy. If you're not, I'd say wait for Sandy Bridge to be released, then upgrade, since they are releasing socket 1156 replacement CPUs first.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I wanted to upgrade because the e6600 is going to become a HTPC ...

But I agree, most likely I would have just upgraded the video card.. but I would really like to just upgrade this whole thing because we want to build a HTPC in my apartment..

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have about $700, give or take a few bucks for this upgrade. My build thoughts were pretty much still the same, the i5 760, evga p55 sli, Mushkin Enhaned Blackline ..

However, since I came across a few more bucks, anyone say go i7? I need mobo,cpu,ram,video .. with that build, was gonna go with the 470 fermi 1gb card.

Let me know whatcha guys think. I want to finalize and order this today!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoSoVaR View Post
So I have about $700, give or take a few bucks for this upgrade. My build thoughts were pretty much still the same, the i5 760, evga p55 sli, Mushkin Enhaned Blackline ..

However, since I came across a few more bucks, anyone say go i7? I need mobo,cpu,ram,video .. with that build, was gonna go with the 470 fermi 1gb card.

Let me know whatcha guys think. I want to finalize and order this today!
i'd go for a 470 or another similar card over an i7. ht doesn't do much, if anything, for gaming. a much beefier graphics card would yield far more real world benefits

1 - 9 of 9 Posts