Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, I made a thread for my triple-monitor stand for under $40. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it, but there's a few things I'd like to change. First off, getting all 3 monitors aligned at the top is kind of a pain, because the joints torque a bit. Second, the mount is visible where it's bolted to the desk. Third, it's stuck in 1 position. This next project will fix all 3 problems.

I'm going to be using 6" wooden boards to span horizontally and mount the monitors to. The boards will be 1/2" to 3/4" thick. Also, there's going to be heavy-duty gate hinges between them so I can change the angle if I so please. To mount to the wall, I'll be using my old OmniMount 75/100 CL. And if you're worried it won't be stong enough, it held up my 35lb LC-30HV4U for years with no problems. And after looking up the weights for this project, the total is 31.4 for just the monitors. Of course, that's with the bases, which I won't be using, so the actual weight is less than that. And the mount I'm making won't be more than a few pounds, so I'm good

Here's a quick plan that I did in Google sketchup:

For the 100mm pattern in the center, the bolt will go through the OmniMount, through the board, and into the VESA mounts on the main monitor. I'll also be putting bolts through the 75mm pattern on the OmniMount into the board, for extra strength.

The pattern cut into the side boards is so that if I change the angle, I can loosen the mounts, and slide the monitors over so that I can close the gap between them.

I'll be getting the materials and starting building tomorrow, so I should have pics up within a day or so.

Comments/suggestions welcome!

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
Cool, I want to build something like this as well. Your other triple screen mount was great. Sure this one will be too.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
little update: I got the mount built and it turned out great. One problem though, the wall-mount that I have isn't cooperating. It keeps tilting down no matter how tight I screw the plate down on the back. After doing some research, it seems like this is a very common problem with this model.

I ended up buying the Level Mount DC30DJ at walmart for only $35. After I get the new mount up on the wall, I'll post some pics in the next day or so.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the wallmounts that I'm using just aren't cutting it. There's too much "droopage". So I decided to mount directly to the wall. I used 4" screws to mount the frame that I built to the wall, with 1/4" MDF as backing to give a little space from the wall. That space left enough room to make backing plates that can "hang" off the frame I made. Not an ideal solution, but at least now I have my desk space back, and it looks a lot cooler.

Here's the backplates. Made out of sheet metal with holes drilled for the VESA mounts. Then I hammered the bends in using scrap 3/4" wood as a template.

And the frame screwed into the wall with MDF backing to offset it from the wall. Yes, I know it's split, but it's not fully split, and it's screwed enough so it's not gonna break in half. I'll fix it when I move in a few months. And notice the eye screws with zip ties so I can route all the cables out of sight.

And how it hangs on the wall. Pretty stable, too.

And the results! A step up from the mount to the desk I think.

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Looks really great!

Now all you need to do is punch two holes into the wall and hide the cables. Then you have achieved perfection!

·
Registered
572 Posts
has anyone been able to find a setup online that would support 3 22" lcd's on a wall mounted articulating arm with pivot and all the adjustments, can seem to only find ones that support only up to 20"?

·
Registered
19 Posts
sorry for diggin up an old thread but im so glad i found this and i hope its ok if i use your design?

i have one of these arms and im hoping i can do something similar with mine.

it says it can hold 20kg and my monitors are only light (benq 24", says on sight there max weight is 6kg, but mine are naked without the stand so should be around 5kg each, gives me a bit of room)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seven9,

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to thank-you for putting this out here. I was lucky to find it. I followed your design and it worked great!!!! Thanks for saving me roughly $400.00

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.