Overclock.net banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Uhh. I think someone beat you to this project. Link.

·
Old to Overclock.net
3,399 Posts
The redo is lookin good man, keep up the work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerealk1ll3r
View Post

Thanks for providing a completely useless post proving you can't read.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerealk1ll3r View Post
hehe if i'm only the third person in the world to actually get on doing this, i'm OK with that

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Alright, well I was up until 12:30 last night (on a school night... das ist nicht gut
) gluing the corner pieces and edge pieces onto the final cube. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out a way to get the pieces to stick on the cube without splitting the wood or having to potentially cover up a bunch of nasty nail holes and then grind down the protuding tips from the inside of the case.

The end approach was actually more complex than I would have liked, but it woked nonetheless and those pieces aren't going ANYwhere.

The process I used was a three step process. I filled a spray bottle with water and sprayed each piece with a light mist. I then hand rubbed all the water into the wood piece until it was very damp and moist (this is required for the Gorilla Glue I used, as it takes water to catalyze and start working) Once the glue was applied, VERY conservatively, I clamped the piece to the cube with a intricate setup of clamps and... textbooks

Once the piece had dried (takes about 10 minutes to dry to the point of sticking... about 24 hours to cure), I drilled up from the inside of the case and countersunk two 3/4" screws in each piece. Each piece would take about 10 minutes total for me to do, so to save time I would glue an entire side and let it sit for a while before countersinking and drilling the screws in, then I would give it another half an hour to dry up completely before I felt safe to turn it over and start working on the next side. The entire process took about six and a half hours, so I watched a soccer match or two throughout

About Gorilla Glue... if you are planning on use it, make sure you DO NOT BRING THE NOZZLE TIP IN CONTACT WITH THE WET SURFACE!!! I made a huge mistake by doing this... I just used the glue nozzle to rub the glue on the surface. However, since the glue is catalyzed using water, it didn't take long for the reaction to seep into the nozzle and quickly gum up the bottle. Within the first two hours, it was completely impossible to squeeze the glue out of the top nozzle. I ended up using a tiny drill bit to drill a hole in the bottom of the bottle so I could keep working with it. Within another hour, that hole had gummed up too. The only glue left was a rather small amount in the bottom corner of the bottle, which was under so much pressure from the expanding foam from the rest of the bottle that when I drilled and tapped it for use, the glue spurted 2 feet out from the bottle. In retrospect.. gorilla glue is extremely strong, and before I sunk the screws in I could easily lift the entire cube (about 25lbs now, with hardware in) from just the tiny edge pieces alone. But be careful about catalyzing your entire bottle of it!

Picture updates will come of the finished cube, ready for paint, as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nate911
View Post

Can't you just get a red circle base below the cube?

That looks awesome dude, can't wait to see how it comes out.

What is with the red circle base
I don't exactly know what you are talking about, unless I vitally missed something from the game... Suppose I could cut something out of red acrylic...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedySurfer
View Post

You should have used corner brackets (http://tinyurl.com/2k6ash), would have made sure that you didn't comprimise the structural integrity.

That was brought up frequently during the building process, with the corner brackets like that. Unfortunately, I was unable to fit those in there, for a couple of reasons...

1) The rails I installed got in the way of the brackets I purchased (no huge loss, they were only about a dollar or two apiece.

2) The brackets just didn't work like I planned
The weight of the cube (hence... weighted companion cube
) pushed the brackets sideways and just ended up making the structure look more like a bent parallelogram than a square.

3) With the screws in place to hold down all the corner and edge pieces, the brackets had very little room to get in place. This coupled with the rails in place made it damn near impossible to fit them in. I opted for nails and gorilla glue

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SentryOptic
View Post

What is with the red circle base
I don't exactly know what you are talking about, unless I vitally missed something from the game... Suppose I could cut something out of red acrylic...

I was referring how you always put the cube on the big red button to open doors and stuff. (I am only have the demo
)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nate911
View Post

I was referring how you always put the cube on the big red button to open doors and stuff. (I am only have the demo
)

Haha, can't believe I let that one past me

I guess when I have more time I can attempt it, but that would have to be a crazy good mod in order to work... like, when you put the cube on the button, it lights up from beneath, like in the game, and makes the little "button" sound... could be fun

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
everyone should get stumble upon and rate this thread good. I can already picture millions of guests viewing this thread.

I used stumble upon on my forums when the rumor of xfire on the PS3 was going around. I instantly had over 50 guests viewing my forums immediatly.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
alrighty.... LOTS OF WORK!!!!!

Lots of updates

First off, I went to Home Depot (hopefully for the last time.. spent more money than I wanted to on this...) and got myself two pairs of spring loaded hinges, very high quality.

It took me literally an hour to get it folded though. As it turns out, it needs force applied in EXACTLY the right place to fold up. Fortunately, the doors I made were perfect for this.

First door hinged on...

And the honest to god last thing I spent on this: A Lian-Li V-1000 Series brushed steel ATX power button. I was giddy with excitement when this arrived in the mail.

But the thing about that hinge was that I needed a MASSIVE drill bit in order to drill through the case to fit it in there. This one did the trick nicely:

Drilled the hole through the case now, but it needed some sanding down. For this job, I brought out the wunder-tool... teh DREMEL!!!

Hole all finished and ready to accept the button. (Unfortunately, not an Aperature Science 1500 Megawatt Supercolliding Superbutton.)

Button laid in.

And I painted the pink stripes. As it turns out, I hate this too. My plan is to file out the slots and light the case pink from the inside. But for picture's sake, here's what it looks like painted.

So that's it for now
I will be drilling out the slots soon, hopefully I don't mess up the case too terribly.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Sorry this took so long guys

I just got hung up with all the work I've been doing for school and the case and stuff.

@Run N. Gun- Thanks very much for the kind words, and far as the airflow, I am going to be cutting the slots out and lighting the case from the inside, so we will see how that all goes over. And thanks for the rep

@OmegaNemisis28- I thank you as well for your kind words
It's nice and refreshing to know that you like the work I'm doin.

@max302- Thanks, and yes, definitely. Portal is most certainly becoming the favorite game around here

@dhrandy- Thanks

@SpeedySurfer- Thanks as well

@JackMcIntyre- Yea, definitely an improvement over the first one. When I made the first one, i was very hesitant about everything we did with it, and it ended up being my dad who was the one that cut out all the shapes on the jigsaw. Needless to say, he wasn't too horribly precise with it
. Anyways, with the new one, I needed some more precise cuts, so I just ended up dragging out the ol' scroll saw and going to town.

I hope I got everyone

41 - 60 of 71 Posts