1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Weighted Companion Cube Case

(Link To Part 1)

Part 1:
0.5) The Epiphany (Start of the Redesign)
1) Constructing the Cube, Part 1
2)More Construction and Initial Painting
2.5)The Gorilla Glue Story
3)Hinges, Power Buttons, and Moar Paint

Part 2:
1)Blasting the Acrylic and Case(you are here)
2) Adding the LED Lights and Fans

I haven't worked on the case in forever, and I had some raging ideas rolling around; it was high time to get working on it. So, without further ado, pics:

First off, I took all the stuff out from the inside

and roughly finished painting the exterior, with a brush.

While rummaging for tools, I found a hardened clay cake I made for art class; obligatory shot

Today was a detailing day. I started to add black spray paint to the cube: I decided pretty early on the "restage" cycle that I would be making this cube as if I had pulled it out from the depths of the Aperature Science Incinerator
. In addition, I yoinked my parent's Creme-Brule torch from the kitchen to help with weathering the cube. In addition to all this spraypaint and weathering and burning, I began to cover the interior; the interior itself, when finished, will contain all the writings from the hidden rooms in the game as well as pictures pasted on the walls of those who helped me with the build... with Weighted Companion Cube's taped over their faces, just like the game XD

The result of some rough interior spraying: (It's pretty difficult to see the detail here, bear with me)

More in-game touches

And the door, which I removed to spray paint white. You'll see why in a little bit

I initially went for the "crispy" look; it failed miserably, as the dark spray paint upon the light gray color just didn't work. I decided to go for CHARRED. I started to work with black burn marks across the cube.

A picture of the old cube looking at the new cube

Another effect I used to create "blast marks" across the face of the cube was to spray an area heavily and then crinkle newspaper over it. It pulls away part of the paint, leaving behind a great effect. This is one of the minor ones of those in the beginning.

More burning/weathering and interior design work:

And a little something I sprayed upon the bottom before I ran out to Home Depot to buy some.... supplies....

So... after a quick run to Home Depot... I bought:

600 Grit sandpaper and a sheet of Lexan:

And caster wheels, a definite necessity at this point. The cube weighs upwards of 40 pounds.

Casters affixed:

And now for the fun part

I started with sanding the Lexan with 150 grit.

After 10 minutes with the 150, I moved to 300 and then straight to 600. Fastforward through the boring stuff, here's the sheet after it's basically been completely "opaqued", and then lightly spraypainted on the back side to completely give it a white sheen:

Got's to have my rootbeerz:

And now to show you a picture I took, in game, for reference a while ago:

You should have an idea of what that white Lexan is for now

I completely copied the design onto the Lexan by hand, first with a pencil and then over with a sharpie.

And with that done, it was time to start weathering the piece to make it fit in with the rest of the burnt cube

Here's the whole process (All weathered with the Creme-Brule torch. Just held it a ways away and let the fire rip through
)

And then, with some added "burn paint", the finished placard:

The last thing I did before going to bed tonight was affix this placard to the cube itself;

I'm not pleased with the way it blends with the cube though. Tomorrow, I plan to finish that particular side of the cube while somehow still incorporating the rest of the design in with it, as well as working further on the interior.

I hope you all like it so far!

·
Premium Member
10,002 Posts
I like it so far. Cheers with Rootbeers

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys

I think I'll hopefully have some time after swim practice today to finish the door side of the cube. If not, there's always Wednesday.

My plans for the rest of the door are pretty simple; I'd like to try and somehow incorporate the rest of the geometry of the original cube face into the doors and the placard if possible. I'll be using the Creme-Bule torch again

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, quick question guys...

I'm grabbing some Cold Cathode tubes for this build, and I'd like to know... Is this all i need for that?

http://www.petrastechshop.com/lo12ducocaki3.html

I've never used CC's before, but aren't you supposed to have some other extra hardware? or is that included in the kit?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sweet dude

·
*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*
595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SentryOptic
View Post

I'm grabbing some Cold Cathode tubes for this build, and I'd like to know... Is this all i need for that?

I've never used CC's before, but aren't you supposed to have some other extra hardware? or is that included in the kit?

That kit from Petra's includes everything you need.

Great work. Keep it up!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Looking good

Quote:

Originally Posted by SentryOptic View Post

That kit includes all for 2 CC. All you basicly need when you use CC is:
CC light
inverter.
Both are included.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjingsted View Post
Looking good

That kit includes all for 2 CC. All you basicly need when you use CC is:
CC light
inverter.
Both are included.
Awesome, I shall order it tonight then

Thanks for the help. Off now to homework so I can finish the rest of the case wall!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
That would be a really sweet.. custom farm rack.. like yo just slide in the mobo tray.. BAM

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't get any work done today unfortunately; I've been working hard at school lately

Anyways... here's my "to-do" list for Friday night, as that is probably going to be the earliest I'll be able to get back to work on it.

-Paint on and then subsequently burn the crap out of the hearts...
-Get CCFL's attached and in
-Cut out the rest of the pink line pieces
-Attach opaque lexan to the inside of the cube
-Attach fans and other cooling gear

I'll close up tonight by ordering some special stuff online

You'll have to see it when it gets here.

Anyways, here are a few quick pictures to keep your appetite staved.

The "burned" look is really starting to come together.

Interior Shots

The flash just makes the whole thing look washed out and weird, but this picture was one of a few exceptions where you can actually see some of the more sophisticated geometry of the corners of the cube.

/fin for today.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
nice porsche.....nice weighted cube....

·
Premium Member
10,002 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mz-n10 View Post
nice porsche.....nice weighted cube....
Sorry for asking but is this a build based on the movies called Cube or just a cube project? I did not get to see the original OP from when you started this project.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
its based on the Valve game Portal, there's an object called the weighted companion cube, which you use as a tool throughout the game.

Awesome job on this

1 - 20 of 30 Posts