Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well heres my new project...This is going to be a scratch build for my HTPC setup dont really want to be a nice case so i thought why not make one
there really is no theme for it yet but im thinking about it hehe anyways the basic jist so far is im using the following components:

EDIT: well the name has changed to Project: WheelJack (explained ahead). and the theme has been finalised with transformers. and i know its been done by ALOT of ppl but im not doing one on one of the main characters like bumblebee or optimus but i will be going with WheelJack. Wheel jack is somewhat of an old character but seems to describe me the best

Quote:

Wheeljack is described as the mad scientist of the Autobot forces as he is always inventing new weapons and gadgets. These weapons and gadgets, while derived from the desire to benefit the Autobot cause, often bring great danger and introduce unpredictable elements into critical situations.

and the colors seem to match aswell
heres some pics of it:

my colors will be silver racing stripes and a river blue body... somewhat like this

(that is silver in the middle...sorry for the blurry pic)

now that thats decided on Im gonna start researching stuff to do along these lines

/EDIT

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L
CPU: Intel E5200
GPU: HD4670
PSU: Corsair 520W
RAM: 2 x 2GB (not yet known which brand)

and the case itself I am making from scratch. The thing about this case is ive actually been at it for a while its been a side project ever since i found these:

I only had 8 when i first found these so i couldnt use these pieces in the OSx86 build so i started with this sort of make my custom HTPC case. well here goes the pics...

the square tubing which will be used:

and now the stuff i have done in the past 2 weeks

all the different sized tubing

the false floor on the left (this still needs some work once i finish the front panel I can then have this finished aswell) and a plate which will be going next to the mobo for some sort of drawing

the back panel on the left, the bottom panel on the right and the right panel against the wall

and heres the process i went through to fix it all together:

clamp it down

hole punch

drill the hole

rivet it

great thing about this tubing with the raised edge it hides the rivet really well

the top part of the chassis joined together

here is the case all together

well thanks for reading/watching enjoy!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Subscribed! Good luck with the build! It would be nice to add features for liquid cooling if you decide to go that way, a removable motherboard tray (not sure if this is too hard) and other stuff you like to see in cases. That's the beauty of building your own case, you get to plan everything you want on it! I think that would be a great start on making the project.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nafljhy View Post
nice omar! im liking the look of it already!
thanks alot naf

Quote:

Originally Posted by EuroFix View Post
this is good stuff

thanks Euro

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolonger View Post
Subscribed! Good luck with the build! It would be nice to add features for liquid cooling if you decide to go that way, a removable motherboard tray (not sure if this is too hard) and other stuff you like to see in cases. That's the beauty of building your own case, you get to plan everything you want on it! I think that would be a great start on making the project.
thanks since i am making this a theme htpc case i am not going with WCing since its hard to get replacement parts here in Pakistan
(mainly and its expensive to ship these parts to Pakistan form anywhere in the world) a removable motherboard tray is a bit harder but i will be working on it in a future build I have already made somewhat of a mobo tray... thanks for reading

heres...

Update #2

got quite a bit done today finished part of the front panel, finished the false floor got the HDD holder done and some other tid bits the pics will explain it all:

front panel cut out and the red marks out the area inside the tubing i have

got the 120mm hole and mounting done

fan mounted:

fan level

mock up of the case

last bend on the false floor

false floor

plans for the HDD holder

cut out

first foot bent

second foot

and bent

a little while later

done

put in place

how the hard drive will sit there

how much space there will be between the fan and the first HDD

riveted on

holes drilled in the plate

this is how it is going to be mounted gonna have 1/2" standoffs to raise it up and make it stick out

and this is how i left it

more to come tomm... thank you for reading/watching

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Wow those corners sure give it a nice touch and probably make life alot easier. Wish I had me some.
I like the way you use the false floor to segregate the PSU and HDD from the rest. Nice work!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly-Swagman View Post
Hey looking great will be watching for more updates!!
thanks alot swagman

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolonger View Post
Great to see this project is moving along! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
yea planning to have this finished and done with by the end of September MAX

Quote:

Originally Posted by ice_owl View Post
Wow those corners sure give it a nice touch and probably make life alot easier. Wish I had me some.
I like the way you use the false floor to segregate the PSU and HDD from the rest. Nice work!
yea these corners are a life saver looks much better SOO much easier to use and well you can check out what i was doing before i got these corners in my OSx86 build and the difference in the frame is CRAZY enough so that I am going to rebuild my whole last project (as far as it has come) with these corners now hehe... thanks the false floor to be honest is all cuz of OCN and watching other builds and seeing what i can incorporate and what will make it look better without OCN i dont even think i would be doing have the things i do today lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by EuroFix View Post
false floor - me like

thank you Euro

a little update (no pics)

I have finished the top panel mounting holes just have to plan out the 120mm fan up top, power button hole and the mounting holes for the blu ray drive mount... im currently working on the 5.25" drive mount and hopefully should be done by tomm... other than that i got my left side panel left and 80 mm fan in the back and 120mm fan in the front hopefully the case itself should be finished by then just gotta decide on a side panel design (which is of course after a theme has been decided on)

thanks for reading/watching everyone

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler
View Post

looking good Omar

thanks alot CR

heres...

Update #3

got a few little things done and others are ready to be done just gotta go do em hehe anyways it seems this case is getting done faster than it looks
so hopefully will have this at the powder coaters in no time

here comes the pics (sorry since i forgot my camera upstairs and was lazy these pics were taken from my iPhone just letting you know
)

the 5.25" bluray drive bay is done

i know this seems really close to the mobo but the mobo i will be using is not the same as this one its 24pin is much lower so this drive will not be interfering with anything

minimal amount of space above it

got the front panel marked out

my previous attempts (one on the right was my initial idea before i came up with the false floor it was gonna be the DVD drive up top and then the 3 drives below it, one on the left is my first attempt at this idea and there were some calculation errors and one leg turned out to be a quarter of an inch longer
)

got my back panel marked out and ready to go with the 80mm fan template (120mm fan was just too big)

and its cut

just enough space for one

the look from inside

well thats all the pics and got a decent amount done today... so far all that is left is the 120mm hole i need do on the top panel (right above where the cooler is going) and the 120mm hole in the front and then the left side panel and im done...i think

well thanks for reading/watching

·
Quarantined in the Sticks
2,408 Posts
looks heavy as fr**ek... anyway its coming nice, I like the ramp you designed

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by snow cakes
View Post

looks heavy as fr**ek... anyway its coming nice, I like the ramp you designed

Quote:

Originally Posted by snow cakes
View Post

what color are you going to paint it?

its kinda heavy but i like the beefy look

as for the color your lucky I just decided im gonna be going with a dark blueish and a gunmetal silver color the design of the colors are still being decided

·
Registered
634 Posts
blue with a silver flame would be sweet =-p

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ikillerzi View Post
blue with a silver flame would be sweet =-p
nice idea ill consider it

update #4

well a few things happened today
i got some new tools and got some good stuff done...

here are the pics...

my new spray gun

new Bosch JigSaw
works sooo well

where i left the front panel

second 120mm fan marked out

second 120mm fan done

now onto the next part of the front panel

done

close up

with the top panel on

this looks a bit weird so i gotta make this...

stealther!

tape ready!

and its on

another angle

a LED holder which will be going under the false floor

bent and ready to go... gonna test it out and if it looks good then I will use it

well thanks for reading/watching

·
Registered
180 Posts
delicious would be an understatement. sexy is more like it.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts