Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after looking at the U2-UFO case and getting some inspiration from a few sites I have started drawing up designs for a case that I will build from scratch.

The case will be made from a few materials but the side panels drive bay covers will be wooden... I am also designing it to have a large window in the side and also a half sized window in the roof so I will have to get some Overclock.net windowappliques... also if Admin does not mind I would like to engrave the Overclock.net logo into the front panel.

I have not decided yet if I am going to varnish the wood or staine the wood a different colour... If I staine the wood I can choose from a multitude of colours so I may go that option but we will see.

The dimensions are as follows...

18Wx18Dx15H Inches

W - Width
D - Depth (Front to back)
H - Height

Its going to be pretty big but that is still a bit smaller than the U2-UFO case.

I have an old case that I will be cutting up to use for a mobo tray which will have the PCI and AGP slots still attached. I will also be dismantling my Chieftec case for the HDD cages.

I can make this case for less than the price of a new average case... It will have much better cooling and will also be one of a kind.

I will update this thread as and when I have new info on my project... But for now what do you guys think.

Case Ideas:

I have been working in Sketchup on an idea of where windows and 120mm fans will go... This is only a rough design.

• Rep+
Reactions: Evil XP2400

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Very cool! If I only had the time...

Maybe once I am done with this semester and have some free time maybe I will try to make one out of stained glass...what do you think?

Oh, last thought, if the woodwork comes out nice (I'm assuming it will) I would only varnish it, keep the natural wood look to it. I think that is cooler than staining. If you do stain, go with a rich mahogany (that deep red).

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
sounds liek alot of work and i tihnk it will turn oiut crappy, i mean, try it if you have the time but i'd rather spend "cash" on a case that looks good and has the proper screws and holes.

I'd like to see how it turns out though

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

sounds liek alot of work and i tihnk it will turn oiut crappy, i mean, try it if you have the time but i'd rather spend "cash" on a case that looks good and has the proper screws and holes.

I'd like to see how it turns out though

A project is always going to be alot of work but I have a big family and 3 of my uncles are chippys for different areas 2 build speedboats the other works on building cruise ships... They work on all the interior which is mostley wood.

So with there help guidance and tools I should be albe to come up with something pretty sweet.

EDIT: Oh yeah the wood will cost me alot less than buying a cheap average poor performance case. Can you buy a decent case this sort of size for less than£60.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK

A project is always going to be alot of work but I have a big family and 3 of my uncles are chippys for different areas 2 build speedboats the other works on building cruise ships... They work on all the interior which is mostley wood.

So with there help guidance and tools I should be albe to come up with something pretty sweet.

EDIT: Oh yeah the wood will cost me alot less than buying a cheap average poor performance case. Can you buy a decent case this sort of size for less than£60.

Dude Frost would look awesome on a computer,,,, you know what im talking bout??

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

Dude Frost would look awesome on a computer,,,, you know what im talking bout??

You got me confused...

Frost??? Do you mean as in colour.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
unfortunately the only cases out that compare to this size are loaded with crap so they arent gonna be cheaper than 250 and up... lol

its possible to buy something that size for under 80 bucks but few companies offer it because they know how much they can charge when people readily purchase it

I think itll turn out great... decorative wood cases come out great almost all the time... take a look at this http://www.coolcasegallery.net/ccg/v....php?cid=01436

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut

unfortunately the only cases out that compare to this size are loaded with crap so they arent gonna be cheaper than 250 and up... lol

its possible to buy something that size for under 80 bucks but few companies offer it because they know how much they can charge when people readily purchase it

I think itll turn out great... decorative wood cases come out great almost all the time... take a look at this http://www.coolcasegallery.net/ccg/v....php?cid=01436

That is a nice case... I like the stealthed drives... Looks like he even replaced the buttons with wood.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

yes its that rainbow color that looks awesome on knife handles

Got any colour charts for reference... If I like it I can easily go get some made up for staining since I doubt its a colour available.

I have looked at a few colours and I like the look of mohaganey and I think that would go real well with some of my ideas but colour and stuff is a long way off yet... Still nice to throw ideas around for colour scheme.

Just spent half an hour getting measurements for all the internals... So I can draw up a full plan scaled down.

Should have a fully drawn up plan for tomorrow aftertoon.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Added images of rough Sketchup design...

I will be working on a few designs mainley on where the windows and fans will be positioned and once I have figured out where those will be I will add the rest of the components to the model.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Great project!!! I'm gonna be watching closely. If it comes out good I might build me a similar one to better accomodate my water cooling.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yeh, building a case like that would be awesome for watercooling. I'm quite into wood and metals so maybe this summer I'll try something like that. Make a sweet case that matches wherever I'll be living.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: I have decided on a final design for the case and I have started to convert my Sketchup drawings to graph paper.

I am at this point sourcing a few materials ie... The wood and some acrylic for the windows... I will be getting my uncle to cut the acrylic because I know I would botch it up and crack it.

(Images Not To Scale)

I have decided to have a window on the left side panel and also on the front between the 3 120mm fans and the drive bays.

The DVD drive bays are mounted at the top of the case and the HDD bay are below and will be able to slide in and out via the front of the case behined a stealth panel.

The bottom pic you can see two grey areas this is where the Mobo and PSU will sit.

The roof and left side panel will be able to come off... the left side panel will have thumb screws to hold it in place and the top panel will slide in and out from the left of the case for easier access.

The power and reset buttons will be to the left of the DVD drives.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
personally I think you should combine the roof and left side panel into a hinged door and put thumb screws on the left side panel to secure it, that way when you wanna get inside you can open the roof and left side panel at the same time, like a door, and have full access to the interior

1 - 20 of 26 Posts