Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to use a projector as my main and only display, but I had weird image issues which is described in this post:

I tried every setting on the projector. Is it not possible to use a projector as main and only display?
Surely it is. What is it that I am missing?
Cheers

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also,
What's the easiest way to conpletely wipe a disk?
I was thinking it's probably best to wipe the whole thing and install Windows "from the bottom', and then install proper drivers.
So I just booted into the Windows USB, and then clicked format on the all of the disk partitions that had the format option.
But.... I'm not really sure it worked, as in the partition was completely wiped.
Cause I still had some issues after the fresh install. But it's not clear what the problem is/was tho. Could be a problem related to the proper GPU not yet installed. Or some of the MB drivers not properly installed.

Annyyyway..... yeah, easiest way to completely wipe disks?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a projector for my couch gaming and they make quite a bit of noise. They get very hot and tend to have at least one fan for cooling (usually a second one for the power supply) and most budget ones run off moving parts i.e. spinning color wheels that all make a little bit of noise as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a projector for my couch gaming and they make quite a bit of noise. They get very hot and tend to have at least one fan for cooling (usually a second one for the power supply) and most budget ones run off moving parts i.e. spinning color wheels that all make a little bit of noise as well.
Right.
I don't actually really plan to use a projector as main display for activities as gaming, but I still wonder though.
And as you testament, it sure is possible.
So I have surely overlooked something in the settings of the projector and/or it is a an issue with mb and/or gpu drivers.
Or worst case scenario damage on hardware :/

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'd test with a monitor you know to be working and go from there. If you've got spare parts or another computer you can test individual components with then it should be easy to narrow things down; it might be time consuming though.

Also,
What's the easiest way to conpletely wipe a disk?
I was thinking it's probably best to wipe the whole thing and install Windows "from the bottom', and then install proper drivers.
So I just booted into the Windows USB, and then clicked format on the all of the disk partitions that had the format option.
But.... I'm not really sure it worked, as in the partition was completely wiped.
Cause I still had some issues after the fresh install. But it's not clear what the problem is/was tho. Could be a problem related to the proper GPU not yet installed. Or some of the MB drivers not properly installed.

Annyyyway..... yeah, easiest way to completely wipe disks?
Reformatting or deleting the partitions and then reinstalling should suffice. Drivers or some other issue seem more likely than something with the HDD/SSD if it's in good condition.

I have a media PC hooked up to a projector and it's generally trouble free. The only issue I have that I need to prevent the display from idling to sleep.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd test with a monitor you know to be working and go from there. If you've got spare parts or another computer you can test individual components with then it should be easy to narrow things down; it might be time consuming though.

Reformatting or deleting the partitions and then reinstalling should suffice. Drivers or some other issue seem more likely than something with the HDD/SSD if it's in good condition.

I have a media PC hooked up to a projector and it's generally trouble free. The only issue I have that I need to prevent the display from idling to sleep.
Like when you chose what partition to install Windows on, you get several options when selecting a partition? One of those options is delete, is that the correct thing? I was afraid to click delete lol cause I didn't really know. I though the format option was enough, but appearantly, maybe not

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You'll want to delete all existing partitions. I'm presuming you want to use the whole drive and you let Windows handle the partitioning the first time. Install all drivers and ensure everything is working satisfactorily after you get Windows reinstalled. While you're waiting on Windows to reinstall you can test the projector with another source, if you have one, on whichever input you intend to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts