Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
you will want the highest contrast and lumins you can get , i think the lumins is how bright it is...and the contrast ratio is brightness in colors?? idk really about contrast... but more is better...lol

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ya i wish i knew more about the projectors... they seem really good if you get a nice one but i just dont know ebough about them to suggest anything, but i have noticed the good HD projectors are very expensive...and when u watch a video on them the room you are in has to be pitch black or it doesnt look to great... good luck

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Lumens is the brightness. If you watch TV in the dark then it is not that big of a deal. If you use it in the lighjt or you have windows you are going to need something around 2000 lumens for decent image. At work we usually use projectors that are above 2500lumens for the most part.

Contrast ratios is the ratio between light and dark pixels. Higher is better. This makes a big deal when you are displaying text that is on white background. a poor contrast ratio and it will be harder to read the texst.

I would stay away from proxima as i have seen tons of them die from overheating. Sony makes a nice one that has a good autokeystone feature that rocks. Others may have this feature but it is not that important. Also what do you plan on projecting on can make a difference.

I am at work at the moment so if you have any questions be patient as i will check back later

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be using it mainly for watching movies. i have 3 windows in my office but can easly be covered for maximum darkness. the main concern i have is the cloudy haze. im not sure if that happens on projectors but i have a 61" projection tv and the image looks cloudy or hazey. i guess its from watching a flat tube tv for so long it just doesn't look right when i go from my living room"flat tube" to my bedroom"projection" which is why i was concerned at first when looking into projectors. do they look anyway remotely close to big screen theatres. as far as clarity and picture quality?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
yes if you get a high quality projesctor, it will look as clear as any theater projector,or plasma tv, the old perjector tv's burn themselves out after a while, and i never liked the crap quality picture they have, the only reason they sold really was because of their sheer size....not quality, but if you get a good projector it will look awsome, so go for a high contrast ratio... >600:1 and a high lumen rating and you will be very happy with it... may i also suggest home theater sound if you dont have it..

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Well as to the above statement "looking like the theaters" Yes and no. If it is Hi def TV then yes it will look nice. but if it is regular TV it will look crappy and slightly pixelated. This is because the projector is trying to recrate the smaller resolution of broadcast TV to a high resolution image. Not much you can do about it though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also consider max resolution. I'd definitely want 1280x720 , so it could properly display a high definition picture. I got the Sanyo Z2 a couple of years ago, and have no complaints. Mind you, the room has to be pretty dark for it to look great (as is common on most all front projectors), but if you've got that, this one's a bargain.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cl...r=&scoring=mrd

Oh, and prices are always dropping. It was more than twice the price it is now just 2 years ago.

Panasonic had a similar projector that I was also considering - I think it was the AE500U. Either of those would be good buys in your price range.

Check out http://www.projectorcentral.com for more information than you'd ever need about these things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts