Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
January Projects of the Month

[email protected]
Start: 19 - Goal: 19 - End: 19 | The UK BOINC team is about to knock us back to 20th, but with a good month of crunching we can avert that and get a jump on the Formula BOINC marathon. :thumb:
[email protected]
Start: 7 - Goal: 7 - End: 7 | Since we were already crunching away on Uni, and it's back up and running, let's see if we can pile up some more points for the project.
[email protected]
Start: 10 - Goal: 9 - End: 9 | Moving up to 9th overall is definitely possible, and we can also pile up some points for the Formula BOINC marathon.​

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Here I come!

Gracefully finishing the work I currently have and switching over.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Anyone who has an Nvidia card that performs poorly at Milkyway (Double Precision math) should consider running GPUGrid, as we are actually in 7th in the FormulaBoinc marathon at the moment.

·
OC...D
27,887 Posts
January Projects of the Month

[email protected]
Start: 19 - Goal: 19 - End: | The UK BOINC team is about to knock us back to 20th, but with a good month of crunching we can avert that and get a jump on the Formula BOINC marathon. :thumb:
[email protected]
Start: 7 - Goal: 7 - End: | Since we were already crunching away on Uni, and it's back up and running, let's see if we can pile up some more points for the project.
[email protected]
Start: 10 - Goal: 9 - End: | Moving up to 9th overall is definitely possible, and we can also pile up some points for the Formula BOINC marathon.​
okay - I need to install boinc on this titan V rig and will try milkyway… any help, like team numbers etc would be appreciated.

edit: got it up... waiting for tasks to download.
edit2: tasks are tough to come by?
edit 3: this is the problem with boinc… nothing is distributed in a timely manner.
okay - finally got a few tasks for this Titan V. what am I looking for in DP performance?

·
Not so new anymore...
23 Posts
First timer in. Installed all 3 projects and got tasks for 2 of them. Any project you want prioritized?

·
OC...D
27,887 Posts
question guys - I have the gpu set to run 2 tasks at a time in the config file - and it is, but that's only using 60ish watts. is it possible to run 4 tasks with milkyway?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
okay - I need to install boinc on this titan V rig and will try milkyway… any help, like team numbers etc would be appreciated.

edit: got it up... waiting for tasks to download.
edit2: tasks are tough to come by?
edit 3: this is the problem with boinc… nothing is distributed in a timely manner.
okay - finally got a few tasks for this Titan V. what am I looking for in DP performance?

My system with a RX-470 and RX-480 tasks are completing between 150 - 190 seconds. I tried my 1070 and it took 180 seconds (sample size of 2). Running one task per card. I assume you should be doing better than that.

·
OC...D
27,887 Posts
My system with a RX-470 and RX-480 tasks are completing between 150 - 190 seconds. I tried my 1070 and it took 180 seconds (sample size of 2). Running one task per card. I assume you should be doing better than that.
I think it is... 50-ish sec. but the card is only running 1500MHz - P2. I can disable the P2 cuda lockout, things should pick up then. lets see what happens when it tries 4 tasks at a time, if that fails, I go back to gpu=1.0 and pull the P2 lockout. This affects core on the V but only ram on a 2080Ti. I have 2 RTX titans, maybe I can roll those in tonight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
I recall someone trying to run MW on a TitanV and there was not enough memory to run enough tasks. The tasks completed so quickly that they were running so many tasks that vram ran out.

They may be longer now but a Titan V should be awesome at MW. I would run several at once anyway.

You can change the setting to 0.25 to get 4 tasks at once.
Code:
<ngpus>0.25</ngpus>

·
OC...D
27,887 Posts
I recall someone trying to run MW on a TitanV and there was not enough memory to run enough tasks. The tasks completed so quickly that they were running so many tasks that vram ran out.

They may be longer now but a Titan V should be awesome at MW. I would run several at once anyway.

You can change the setting to 0.25 to get 4 tasks at once.
Code:
<ngpus>0.25</ngpus>
yeah - I took the leap before your post and it seems okay. same completion time as 1 running. GPU is now using 100+ watts at times. No problem with that. I've run cuda at ~200W with no problems (it's under water).

I'll see if the RTX titans can keep up, fewer cuda cores tho.

edit: well that was enlightening... the V is just crushing the RTX Titan at milkyway&#8230; I mean, it's embarrassing for the T-Rex. :blinksmil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
yeah - I took the leap before your post and it seems okay. same completion time as 1 running. GPU is now using 100+ watts at times. No problem with that. I've run cuda at ~200W with no problems (it's under water).

I'll see if the RTX titans can keep up, fewer cuda cores tho.

edit: well that was enlightening... the V is just crushing the RTX Titan at milkyway&#8230; I mean, it's embarrassing for the T-Rex.
Titan V (1:2 fp64) was more of a return to the OG Titan (1:3 fp64) than the last three generations of Titans. The RTX is more like Maxwell and Pascal with only 1:32 fp64.

Edit: That's why so many 7970s (1:4 fp64) and 290s (1:8 fp64) are still crunching on MilkyWay.

·
OC...D
27,887 Posts
Titan V (1:2 fp64) was more of a return to the OG Titan (1:3 fp64) than the last three generations of Titans. The RTX is more like Maxwell and Pascal with only 1:32 fp64.
yeah - "but for" disabled NVLink on the V, I would have skipped rtx all together

·
OC...D
27,887 Posts

·
OC...D
27,887 Posts
This table gets updated once in awhile. TV is over 3x better than a 7990 (which is two GPUs) and almost 20x of a 1080Ti.
https://www.geeks3d.com/20140305/amd-radeon-and-nvidia-geforce-fp32-fp64-gflops-table-computing/
thank you!

edit: ran up to 8... no good, hit the vram ceiling fast (12GB gone in minutes). 6 was okay but there were a few instances of compute errors and it seemed to correspond to when gpu vram usage was over 11GB (according to AB and gpuz). looks like 5 (0.167) works best. no errors (so far), vram ~8GB, peak power is ~150W (at 0.750V VDDC - running in P2 do far at 1530MHz). Bundle6_2s and 4_4s units complete in 58-60 sec no matter how many instances run simultaneously. Nice to have that OG titan fp64 feeling again. :drink:

T-rex rig shown below. so I guess it will add more work units up to 27 (.75x36)?
So this boinc thing lasts all month? :worriedsm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you!

edit: ran up to 8... no good, hit the vram ceiling fast (12GB gone in minutes). 6 was okay but there were a few instances of compute errors and it seemed to correspond to when gpu vram usage was over 11GB (according to AB and gpuz). looks like 5 (0.167) works best. no errors (so far), vram ~8GB, peak power is ~150W (at 0.750V VDDC - running in P2 do far at 1530MHz). Bundle6_2s and 4_4s units complete in 58-60 sec no matter how many instances run simultaneously. Nice to have that OG titan fp64 feeling again. :drink:

T-rex rig shown below.
So this boinc thing lasts all month? :worriedsm
Nice. After I posted that link, I meant to edit my post to 5-6 from 7-8.

Every month we pick a few projects to try and move up in the overall rankings. Come and go whenever you want, but you should swing back by for the BGB. https://www.overclock.net/forum/365...ers-gone-bonkers-74-january-15-18-2019-a.html
The BGBs are like the Fold-A-Thons, and are now back after a long hiatus. :D

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
1 - 20 of 100 Posts