Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin at getting one of these beasts and need to know a few things...
1 - will it fit in an antec 900?
2 - which model supports the 2 fan setup? Or do I just need 2 sets of retaining wires?
3 - how much better than a xiggy s1283 do u think it is?
4 - is the shadow worth getting over the regular model?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Antec 900 case is 8.1 inches wide. A 160mm heatsink will fit inside a case that is at least 8 inches wide. So yes...

Prolimatech Megahalems Dimensions: 130 x 74 x 158.7 mm (L x W x H)

My Shaddow came with 2 fan clips. I would get the regular model though unless you are showing off the inside of your case.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Mine came with 2 sets of clips. It is head and shoulders above the Xiggy, and I can be fairly confident in that it's the best air cooling money can buy. I have 2x Yate Loon High Speeds on mine, and at 3.6GHz I barely break 52*C on Prime95.

·
PC Evangelist
46,946 Posts
Was about 9-10c cooler then the xigmateck i had before.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt*S.
View Post

Mine came with 2 sets of clips. It is head and shoulders above the Xiggy, and I can be fairly confident in that it's the best air cooling money can buy. I have 2x Yate Loon High Speeds on mine, and at 3.6GHz I barely break 52*C on Prime95.

Impressive.

Do you know what your temps were before it was lapped?

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
There's no need to lap a Megahalems, the base is good as it is.
It's so good, that you'll most likely make it worse by lapping it.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberbot
View Post

There's no need to lap a Megahalems, the base is good as it is.
It's so good, that you'll most likely make it worse by lapping it.

Also good to hear, lapping my ziggy took forever lol.

Also, Im not sure if its a fair comparison but would this thing give me the same temps a Corsair H-50 would? Cause for $10 more it looks pretty nice....

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The temps. drop 12C from a Zalman 9700LED to Megahalems w/2 S-Flex G fans at stock speed on an i7 920 C0. No need for lapping.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Answers:

1. Yes
2. just get another set of clips
3. based on the numerous benchies Ive seen around the net and in ocn yes its better than the xiggy. about 5 to 10cs depending on fans and cofig of fans

4. some say there is some say no its just for looks. IMO there is no difference in performance just looks. I have the original on mine and bro in vegas got shadow its the same thing

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The only thing I've found to be a problem with the Megahalem is attaching fans to the mounting clips. All in all, a fantastic CPU cooler.

Also, Prolimatech say not to lap it as you will make it perform worse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prolimatech

Please note - there should be no need to lap the heatsink base, and doing so will void warranty: "Every Prolimatech's heatsink base is designed on a pin-point scale of how the base is to be flat and/or curved where it's needed to be. We have programed our machines to machine the surface in a very calculated way. Any after-manufacture lapping or modding done to the base will alter the design, hence negating its performance factor as well as its warranty."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts