Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see alot of 3rd party defragmentation utilities out there, they sound great and everything, but is there any proof that they will benefit you more than built in windows 7 defragmenter?

Also, is there proof that defragmenting actually makes a difference with today's modern hd's? Not ssd drives but modern mechanical like mine, the caviar black 1tb.

·
Registered
657 Posts
AFAIK it depends on quite a few things, including filesystem type, partitioning strategy, how full the disk is etc...

To my mind it's perfectly reasonable that the drive performance is increased if the head doesn't need to move very far to locate a series of file fragments.

I think it only becomes a major issue on modern systems when the disk is close to full.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothrpe View Post
I see alot of 3rd party defragmentation utilities out there, they sound great and everything, but is there any proof that they will benefit you more than built in windows 7 defragmenter?

Also, is there proof that defragmenting actually makes a difference with today's modern hd's? Not ssd drives but modern mechanical like mine, the caviar black 1tb.
The benefit is quite slight.

Here's an older test: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/the...rag_difference

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Mainly if the drive is HEAVILY fragmented.

My father had a laptop that had the drive completely full, like 99% for a while and his Outlook PST file had fragmented into 150,000 pieces (I couldn't believe it)...

After deleting some stuff to free up a little space, I started the Windows defragmenter on it (Win XP at the time) and after 2 days (!!) and 3 consecutive runs, it was done.

Outlook took almost 8 minutes to load before, and about 30 seconds after.

So yes defragmentation can make a huge difference, it's just a question of how much abuse, and how little maintenance has been performed

Then on the other end of the spectrum my other friend has a defrag addiction and he defrags every day and if he has one file that's split into pieces he has to defrag, so his "gains" would be unmeasurable.

So yeah...

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I've used Auslogics in every computer I've ever worked on (Family,friends computers. Kinda like a "hey let me tune up your computer really quick!" ). So far I've not found anything faster or more productive.
As for performance increases I've never actually timed it, I just know that it will defragment thousands of files in less then 10mins on most machines( I did have one that took over 3 hours but the computer was 5 years old and on it's last leg anyway even after the defragment.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Smart Defrag.

Free, small, works in background. Love it.

And yes, I've found 3rd party defraggers to be way better then what MS offers.

I used to be a diskkeeper fan, but I've had it screw up harddrives before, and it costs, so I've switched. =)

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
+1 for smart defrag; the best defragging utility i've ever found. And yes it makes a gigantic difference. My bro's hard drives were so fragmented it took several minutes to open a particular program, with a C2D 2GB RAM etc.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I'm been using the Auslogics one and it works fast, but is it noticeable? I'm not sure.

Duckie's link is interesting, and indicates its actually worse than the Windows one on a PCmark score, however the article is a couple of years old so its possible the program got better since then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts