Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I would like some of your input on what the best 1v1 Protoss strategy?
How many gatheres u build in the beegining?
Is it better to rush or tech in 1v1?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Here's what I do in 1v1s.

It's baiscally all the same strat, I just improvise according to what the player is doing.

Pylon at 8.

Gateway at 14 (as gateway pops I send out scout probe)

2nd gateway at 16, then a pylon and 1 gas (sometimes I get gas sooner, but only by a few seconds.)

Pump out 4 zealots, unless enemy is rushing, in which case I build 3rd gateway to pump more zealots to counter.

Pylon

Core at 24 and then pump out 4 stalkers

Robotics bay as soon as core pops, and then 2 obs which one goes to base and one scouts all expansions.

I either then go for colussus or void rays, depending on what enemy is doing.

Then, it's all about microing your units better than his. I'll expand when I feel comfortable that I can counter his force, or at least hold him off.

DTs are also a GREAT way to take out expos. Hit and run.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Your build really depends on what race your opponent is and what you scout your opponent doing. There's no "best" build order because that would just be no fun. You've got to read and react to your opponent. I'd recommend going over to Teamliquid.net and reading the strategy section.

However, there is an optimal amount of gatherers. You essentially want constant probe production on your main until you reach full saturation and then even past it when you plan on expanding. 3 probes fully saturates a mineral field or vespene geyser and there's 8 mineral field and 2 geysers at your main, so 30 workers is full saturation.

EDIT: I guess I should include a little of my build order, but this should not be a guide to every game. This is just a safe, standard build when playing against an opponent that's playing standard.

9 - Pylon
12 - Gateway
14 - Assimilator
16 - Pylon
~17 - Cyber Core
~19-20 - 2nd Assimilator

It gets you 2 quick gas which P really needs to tech and you should be able to defend against any type of non-all-in push if you micro correctly. From there you can transition into any number of strats (2 gate robo, 3 gate robo, 2 gate stargate, 4 warp gate rush, 3 gate expand, etc.)

EDIT 2: As far as rush v tech, it's really not best to think of the game as that black and white. If you see an opportunity to get a leg up on your opponent, take it, whether it be aggression or tech or expanding. Again, it's all about reading and reacting.

Quote:
Here's what I do in 1v1s.

It's baiscally all the same strat, I just improvise according to what the player is doing.

Pylon at 8.

Gateway at 14 (as gateway pops I send out scout probe)

2nd gateway at 16, then a pylon and 1 gas (sometimes I get gas sooner, but only by a few seconds.)

Pump out 4 zealots, unless enemy is rushing, in which case I build 3rd gateway to pump more zealots to counter.

Pylon

Core at 24 and then pump out 4 stalkers

Robotics bay as soon as core pops, and then 2 obs which one goes to base and one scouts all expansions.

I either then go for colussus or void rays, depending on what enemy is doing.

Then, it's all about microing your units better than his. I'll expand when I feel comfortable that I can counter his force, or at least hold him off.

DTs are also a GREAT way to take out expos. Hit and run.
9 pylon is really ideal. You can time it to where you don't have to cut probe production at all and I believe with an 8 pylon there is a little window where you don't have probe production. Just a little thing but everything counts.

A 14 gate really leaves you open to a lot of early rushes. It's really strong economically but if they do any sort of early aggression they can cripple you.

Unless you're planning on doing some serious zealot aggression, most get the cyber core around 16-18 supply, depending on the opponent's tech. Delaying the core so much against T opens you up to reaper rush. If a T is reaper rushing me, they usually get the Reaper in my main at about 18-19 food, which means I've got to have a stalker out or halfway done by that point or he's going to get a ton more probe kills than he should. Delaying against Z leaves you open to a roach push because you'll only have zealots out to defend, and zealots get annihilated against roaches. Of course, it's also a good idea to get warp gate tech started as soon as possible.

Not trying to mess with your build at all (if it works for you, then that's great), just saying what I've learned from some experience.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajax413 View Post
Your build really depends on what race your opponent is and what you scout your opponent doing. There's no "best" build order because that would just be no fun. You've got to read and react to your opponent. I'd recommend going over to Teamliquid.net and reading the strategy section.

However, there is an optimal amount of gatherers. You essentially want constant probe production on your main until you reach full saturation and then even past it when you plan on expanding. 3 probes fully saturates a mineral field or vespene geyser and there's 8 mineral field and 2 geysers at your main, so 30 workers is full saturation.

EDIT: I guess I should include a little of my build order, but this should not be a guide to every game. This is just a safe, standard build when playing against an opponent that's playing standard.

9 - Pylon
12 - Gateway
14 - Assimilator
16 - Pylon
~17 - Cyber Core
~19-20 - 2nd Assimilator

It gets you 2 quick gas which P really needs to tech and you should be able to defend against any type of non-all-in push if you micro correctly. From there you can transition into any number of strats (2 gate robo, 3 gate robo, 2 gate stargate, 4 warp gate rush, 3 gate expand, etc.)

EDIT 2: As far as rush v tech, it's really not best to think of the game as that black and white. If you see an opportunity to get a leg up on your opponent, take it, whether it be aggression or tech or expanding. Again, it's all about reading and reacting.

9 pylon is really ideal. You can time it to where you don't have to cut probe production at all and I believe with an 8 pylon there is a little window where you don't have probe production. Just a little thing but everything counts.

A 14 gate really leaves you open to a lot of early rushes. It's really strong economically but if they do any sort of early aggression they can cripple you.

Unless you're planning on doing some serious zealot aggression, most get the cyber core around 16-18 supply, depending on the opponent's tech. Delaying the core so much against T opens you up to reaper rush. If a T is reaper rushing me, they usually get the Reaper in my main at about 18-19 food, which means I've got to have a stalker out or halfway done by that point or he's going to get a ton more probe kills than he should. Delaying against Z leaves you open to a roach push because you'll only have zealots out to defend, and zealots get annihilated against roaches. Of course, it's also a good idea to get warp gate tech started as soon as possible.

Not trying to mess with your build at all (if it works for you, then that's great), just saying what I've learned from some experience.
No no, I always take more advice.
I love playing toss, and that's just what I generally do. Honestly I don't play many 1v1s its mostly just 2v2s and some 3v3s.

But I agree. You build according to your opponent, and you cannot know what they are doing unless you scout.

Example, if I see them building an early hatchery/2+gateways/trying to proxy I will build more zealots, otherwise I focus on macro and, especially when I have obs up, scout every inch of the map.

Thats the only way you'll win is by scouting you enemy and trying to hide you forces from him.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushMore1205 View Post
Hey guys I would like some of your input on what the best 1v1 Protoss strategy?
How many gatheres u build in the beegining?
Is it better to rush or tech in 1v1?
It really depends on a matchup, map and what your opponent is doing, but the basic build is pretty much what Ajax413 described. You build pylon at 9, then send the probe to scout, then gateway at 12, 14 Gas, 16 pylon, 17 core, 20 gas. It is generally safe to add 2 more gates soon after that and then a chosen tech e.g. stargate or robotics facility.

Regarding the probes you should pretty much make them constantly, i.e. your Nexus should be producing at least one probe at any given time. Once you get about 24 probes you should start thinking about expanding. Also starting at 10 food, once your pylon has finished building you should be constantly chronoboosting your nexus, unless you have a good reason not to, i.e. rushing to some tech or massing units.

There is no one best 1v1 strategy and you should really learn from experience what works and what not and react to what your opponent is doing. It would be easier to give you advice if you could specify what are you having problems with, e.g. loosing to early zerglings or marauders, or doing bad in PvP midgame etc.

The general tips are:
- always produce workers
- always spend all your money on units or buildings, e.g. try never have more then 500 minerals
- scout as much as possible

·
Registered
580 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by poroboszcz View Post
It really depends on a matchup, map and what your opponent is doing, but the basic build is pretty much what Ajax413 described. You build pylon at 9, then send the probe to scout, then gateway at 12, 14 Gas, 16 pylon, 17 core, 20 gas. It is generally safe to add 2 more gates soon after that and then a chosen tech e.g. stargate or robotics facility.

Regarding the probes you should pretty much make them constantly, i.e. your Nexus should be producing at least one probe at any given time. Once you get about 24 probes you should start thinking about expanding. Also starting at 10 food, once your pylon has finished building you should be constantly chronoboosting your nexus, unless you have a good reason not to, i.e. rushing to some tech or massing units.

There is no one best 1v1 strategy and you should really learn from experience what works and what not and react to what your opponent is doing. It would be easier to give you advice if you could specify what are you having problems with, e.g. loosing to early zerglings or marauders, or doing bad in PvP midgame etc.

The general tips are:
- always produce workers
- always spend all your money on units or buildings, e.g. try never have more then 500 minerals

Just doing those three things alone can get you into platinum pretty easily. Very good, solid advice for new players.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by poroboszcz View Post
- always produce workers
I would also add
-never get supply blocked

1 - 9 of 9 Posts