Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More specifically over tf2

So i have been dating my girl for just over 2 years now, and think it may finally be time to propose

In tf2 (which we both love), there is this

I think its pretty neat, obviously a real ring would follow, but do you guys think this is a smart move? or should i persue other methods

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
seems corny to me even if you both love the game.

I'm old fashioned I guess.

I would think more along the lines of taking her somewhere very beautiful and outdoors, maybe a picnick out in the mountains/woods/park/beach
and then get down on one knee and say what you gotta say.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
You could take her to Valve HQ (creators of TF2), see if they will let you go on a tour and then propose after the tour.

Just an idea.

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
If it goes well, you can do the real ring giving later on. But if it flops, you could end up wishing you'd just done it the old-fashioned way. Good luck!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've seen people propose in many creative ways, skydiving and whatnot; but the key element is that they proposed in person.

If you have to do it through TF2, at least do it when you're in the same room. Otherwise, drop the idea entirely. And I mean this whole-heatedly.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
No...don't do that. I mean, don't propose that is.

jk jk
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I wouldn't propose over a game. Do it in person. Your choice whether you want to do it in a special way, but as long as it is in person.
Perhaps using billboards along the highway I guess, or make a pilot announce it on a airplane while both of you are in it...I dunno.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I think the key is to do it in person.
If you guys play in the same room that would work. You could be like..facing opposite directions. You propose to her in game. Then when she turns around you're already facing her, holding the ring. Maybe you could even through in some kind of TF2 related speech or poem.
Whatever you end up doing, good luck to you
thumb.gif

·
Registered
941 Posts
In person has more meaning. She will appreciate your love more than if you did it in a video game.

I'm sorry I am not able to support you in your decision, but I don't want to see your relationship go down the drain.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSF_x View Post

this is tragic
While I'm sorry to admit this is true, don't thrash down his feelings. He's a fellow overclocker, man. The best we can do is help him make the right decision.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovidore View Post

I've seen people propose in many creative ways, skydiving and whatnot; but the key element is that they proposed in person.
If you have to do it through TF2, at least do it when you're in the same room. Otherwise, drop the idea entirely. And I mean this whole-heatedly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MME1122 View Post

I think the key is to do it in person.
If you guys play in the same room that would work. You could be like..facing opposite directions. You propose to her in game. Then when she turns around you're already facing her, holding the ring. Maybe you could even through in some kind of TF2 related speech or poem.
Whatever you end up doing, good luck to you
thumb.gif
This

for SURE the important part is to be there in person,

just play it out in your head, (I dont know how far apart you live) but say you propose and shes all excited what you just sit there and talk? or you rush over to her house? kinda lame...and then the moment is lost

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

You could take her to Valve HQ (creators of TF2), see if they will let you go on a tour and then propose after the tour.
Just an idea.
I can guarantee they would.

I was given an open invite to the HQ as long as I give them notice. for pretty much no apparent reason because I e-mailed Chet Faliszek about HL3 lol, Too bad i'm nowhere near Seattle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Love is one of the few gifts we have in this world. Being really creative is also one of the few. Combine them in a different way.

Be creative, show that you love her. Just do it through a conduit signifies your love more emotionally. A game, as much as it's something you both enjoy - is as artificial as it is superficial. Where in the tears in the eyes, where is the real world magic?

Being a gamer is great, but you need to make the emotional stuff happen elsewhere. Love is a very deep thing, I have seen shallow people surprise the hell out of me when they fell in love.

I am with everyone else on this one.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I had a buddy propose in minecraft... not sure exactly how he did it.. think he made a huge fake wedding.. he didn't tell me though, I guess if you make fun of people enough they stop talking to you.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts