Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well PS/2 supports n-key rollover on mech. keyboards. The only real time you would need n-key rollover is if you were typing with your face or you had hands the size of dinner plates but It's still a nice feature. USB sure is handy for non mech. keyboards though. So I'd say PS/2 for the rollover. I mean if you're have a mech. keyboard you may as well get everything out of it right?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
USB can do NKRO, I refer you to the Noppoo Choc Mini. Personally, I couldn't care less if my keyboard is using USB or PS/2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moon;15338890
So I'd say PS/2 for the rollover. I mean if you're have a mech. keyboard you may as well get everything out of it right?
Not all mechanical keyboards have NKRO.

·
Registered
540 Posts
ps/2 for NKRO and it doesnt need to share traffic with other USB ports, which is good if your running external hdd's or the like.

doesnt make a whole lot of difference though

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like USB because I go to LANs pretty frequently and the staff there are pretty anal about using usb keyboards so that their motherboards dont short out.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Free up a USB port and use PS/2 if you can is my vote...OTOH I have lots of devices.

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
USB ports are pretty cheap and plentiful these days. Plus modern PS/2 ports don't work half the time with keyboards that have a decent power draw.

But the OCN Mechanical Keyboard Guide disagrees with this.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricemagical
View Post

I like USB because I go to LANs pretty frequently and the staff there are pretty anal about using usb keyboards so that their motherboards dont short out.

What? Oh you mean you have to shut down the PC then plug in PS/2 then start it back up? Same for unplug? Well...less than a minute of time is too much trouble? I will agree though, USB is more convenient. I use PS/2 though.

I have a couple reasons

1) my bios sometimes doesn't like USB keyboards and won't register until windows loads up. No clue why.
2) I have too many USB stuffs as it is.

I doubt you'd notice the NKRO deal tbh...and a lot of newer motherboards lack PS/2 ports at all.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripster
View Post

USB ports are pretty cheap and plentiful these days. Plus modern PS/2 ports don't work half the time with keyboards that have a decent power draw.

But the OCN Mechanical Keyboard Guide disagrees with this.

This

USB > PS/2. I say this is because the mobos these days seem to be lacking in the PS/2 department, at least for Model Ms. I also like the fact that all my mobos will basically never run out of USB ports

·
PC Master Racer
1,274 Posts
I can confirm that the Filcos work through PS/2 on the P8P67 Deluxe. At least for me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If your motherboard has a PS/2 port like the others have said free up a USB, if not your not losing anything of importance using USB.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogon;15417178
PS/2, think it has a lot less latency compared to USB.
Why do you think that? When typing on a USB connected keyboard have you ever seen lag between typing something and it appearing on your screen that couldn't be attributed to something else?

·
PC Master Racer
1,274 Posts
^

I agree. I was looking for this and have never noticed no lag when I type. If anything you may notice it in first person shooters...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd;15345219
I doubt you'd notice the NKRO deal tbh...and a lot of newer motherboards lack PS/2 ports at all.
youll only notice NKRO if you have fists of ham and punch the keyboard to move your player around, but knowing half the people i see in servers these days
biggrin.gif

1 - 20 of 28 Posts