Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ncoVkkX.jpg


http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/02/17/destiny-requires-constant-internet-connection-to-play-activision-confident-connection-speed-wont-affect-your-experience/
Quote:
Bungie's new persistent-world shooter Destiny will require you to be constantly connected to the internet to play the game, the Halo studio has confirmed. But Activision CEO Eric Hirschberg and Bungie president Harold Ryan are both adamant a slow connection speed (such as we're used to in the backwards old UK) won't affect the quality of the game, pointing out their respective experience in handling huge online communities for Call of Duty and Halo.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,750 Posts
Is this supposed to be something similar to Planetside? If so, how could people not expect to have an internet connection while playing it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,393 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksireaper View Post

http://manaflask.com/en/article/2262/bungie-announces-destiny-an-mmo-fps

It is a world where you are always with other players. So ya, an MMO. They are just not calling it that.
Pure speculation.
A journalism's opinion ≠ Bungie's official statement. What they're discussing might just be a fragment of the game and we have absolutely no way of knowing.

Until we hear it from Bungie directly, it's not an MMO.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,733 Posts
Connections aren't that bad here in 'backwards old UK', I'm on a 100Mb connection.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post

Until we hear it from Bungie directly, it's not an MMO.
Not in a traditional sense, no. Everything that I have read so far points towards it being one of some variety however. Questing, social hubs, raiding, classes, gear, always online. Doesn't really take a genius to figure out where this game is going.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield View Post

Not in a traditional sense, no. Everything that I have read so far points towards it being one of some variety however. Questing, social hubs, raiding, classes, gear, always online. Doesn't really take a genius to figure out where this game is going.
If it was an MMO, why wouldn't they just say it is? They've specifically made sure to not call it that and differentiate it from the pack.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post

If it was an MMO, why wouldn't they just say it is? They've specifically made sure to not call it that and differentiate it from the pack.
They can differentiate it as much as they like, but it won't change what it is at it's core, what foundation it is built on. So far everything known about it, stated, by the developers themselves, screams a MMO like experience. Questing, social hubs, raiding, classes, gear, always online (pve and pvp mentioned too). Maybe they don't want it to be labeled as a MMO (who could blame them for wanting to avoid that label?), but they do want to create a seamless online social experience (which is what they are currently touting), one which is using alot of MMO elements according to reports (especially interesting is the IGN report) so far.

That's enough for me to call it a MMO in some form until Bungie release information that shows otherwise.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield View Post

They can differentiate it as much as they like, but it won't change what it is at it's core, what foundation it is built on. So far everything known about it, stated, by the developers themselves, screams a MMO like experience. Questing, social hubs, raiding, classes, gear, always online (pve and pvp mentioned too). Maybe they don't want it to be labeled as a MMO (who could blame them for wanting to avoid that label?), but they do want to create a seamless online social experience (which is what they are currently touting), one which is using alot of MMO elements according to reports (especially interesting is the IGN report) so far.
I think what they're trying to do is change the meaning of the word itself as it applies to Destiny.

Calling it an MMO immediately puts a first impression in a buyer's head.
Expectations.
Both of which are based solely on never playing the game in question, but similar ones like it.

It's pretty smart of them to avoid that label until they can see what people's reactions are. Which, thus far, seem fairly positive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post

I think what they're trying to do is change the meaning of the word itself as it applies to Destiny.

Calling it an MMO immediately puts a first impression in a buyer's head.
Expectations.
Both of which are based solely on never playing the game in question, but similar ones like it.

It's pretty smart of them to avoid that label until they can see what people's reactions are. Which, thus far, seem fairly positive.
That, is exactly how I see it aswell.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post

Calling it an MMO immediately puts a first impression in a buyer's head.
Expectations.
is it online? yep.
is it for many players ? yah huh.
is it massive ? remains to be determined.

they are calling it "shared-world" instead of MMO.. SHARED-WORLD?!?!?

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealio View Post

is it online? yep.
is it for many players ? yah huh.
is it massive ? remains to be determined.

they are calling it "shared-world" instead of MMO.. SHARED-WORLD?!?!?

I agree with what you say but you're not seeing it from the company's side. They have a huge reputation and MMO's have massive perceptions of what they should be; so...if they don't match those expectations they are seen as a failure and if they have even the slightest hint of the game not being "Game of the year" quality or what not then people will make a huge deal out of it. There's a massive amount of risk for Bungie here and hopefully their PR/marketing department is up to the challenge because already I can see the potential for this game to flop not just because it's "bad" but because people will be turned off from whatever they hear about the game.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,750 Posts
So aside from Bungie's attempt to guide customer perception, this is an MMO in the same way that Planetside calls itself an MMOFPS. There we go. MMO.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooksy View Post

Connections aren't that bad here in 'backwards old UK', I'm on a 100Mb connection.
How nice for you. The rest of us don't
tongue.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

I agree with what you say but you're not seeing it from the company's side. They have a huge reputation and MMO's have massive perceptions of what they should be; so...if they don't match those expectations they are seen as a failure and if they have even the slightest hint of the game not being "Game of the year" quality or what not then people will make a huge deal out of it. There's a massive amount of risk for Bungie here and hopefully their PR/marketing department is up to the challenge because already I can see the potential for this game to flop not just because it's "bad" but because people will be turned off from whatever they hear about the game.
That is nice and all but with all the stuff they are saying from it the only thing not MMO about it is the fact they didn't actually named it so. They use terms like dungeons/raid/persistent world and all other stuff.
This is like describing an apple to detail but refusing to say it is an apple.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assirra View Post

That is nice and all but with all the stuff they are saying from it the only thing not MMO about it is the fact they didn't actually named it so. They use terms like dungeons/raid/persistent world and all other stuff.
This is like describing an apple to detail but refusing to say it is an apple.
Yup...but again. What if their apple tastes different from what you expect the apple to taste like? Then will you tell everyone it is bad? See the problem? Perceptions are bad. They can either give a company a cult of personality following or a cult of junk products image (which is far harder to change).

PS:What did everyone consider Tribes to be? An MMO?
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top