Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
I dont think you can have the HDD for the PS2 mini because I dont think it has the expansion slot at the back.

For a normal PS2 you need the network adapter card and a supported HDD like a Maxtor Diamondmax 9.

You plug the adapter into the HDD and slide it into the expansion slot... Then your best off getting it onto your PC network or making one so you can and rip games using your PC and then using FTP to transfer the across to the HDD or you could do it all before you put the HDD in.

Another thing is HDDLoader which you will need a copy of to use games from the HDD.

• Rep+
Reactions: Bangas

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
you cant use it on the Mini Ps2. and all the hd is there to do is for ps2 linux which doesent exist in North America anymore

Don't shoot the messenger

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madkat
you cant use it on the Mini Ps2. and all the hd is there to do is for ps2 linux which doesent exist in North America anymore

Don't shoot the messenger

Just for linux... I think your wrong there.

The HD is used for storing games like you do on a PC so you can get faster loading times then playing from DVD. San Andreas is much better when used from the HD because of textures loading faster which means you dont get those odd moments where its just white infront of you.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

hell would i know i dont have ps2
and according to the PS2 shop its only for linux, and it doesnt exist anymore
Probabley site not been updated since the earley days of PS2.

HDLoader you also need the network adapter and a compatible HD.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

the only game that REALLY needs it is the new final fantasy. and sony doesnt sell it anymore.. i checked

Sell what???

If your on about the HD Loader that can be bought loads of places if your on about the adapter that will never be stopped and the PS2 original can be bought loads of places still over the net.

You dont have to buy a Slim line.
If you want something then you can damn well find it on the net... Commodore dont even exist in company form but I can still use the net to buy a Commodore 64... So when you say Sony dont sell it anymore dont mean you cant get what you need.

EDIT: You also say Final Fantasy is the only game that benefits... Thats untrue... Loads of games benefit from the faster loading times.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK
For a normal PS2 you need the network adapter card and a supported HDD like a Maxtor Diamondmax 9.
You can use an off the shelf hard drive? I didn't know that, I always assumed you had to use the Sony "official" one. But I don't know why it never crossed my mind, I'm using one in my Xbox. Now I feel kind of stupid for not adding one to my PS2.

Oh well, I probably won't bother at this point. We're only a year away (or less) from the next gen consoles, no point in expanding my current gen's capabilities. I use my Xbox more than my PS2 now anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK
EDIT: You also say Final Fantasy is the only game that benefits... Thats untrue... Loads of games benefit from the faster loading times.
I think he meant that it's the only game that requires the hard drive. All of the benefits you mentioned are certainly true, but the games are not designed for the hard drive.

You're definitely right about GTA:SA, I've never played a game that would benefit more from being loaded on a hard drive than that one.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VulcanDragon
You can use an off the shelf hard drive? I didn't know that, I always assumed you had to use the Sony "official" one. But I don't know why it never crossed my mind, I'm using one in my Xbox. Now I feel kind of stupid for not adding one to my PS2.

Oh well, I probably won't bother at this point. We're only a year away (or less) from the next gen consoles, no point in expanding my current gen's capabilities. I use my Xbox more than my PS2 now anyway.
Yeah you can use a hole host of normal IDE HDDs.

Here is a site with a list of compatible HDDs.

LIST

1 - 11 of 11 Posts