Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv noticed my cousins ps3 runs extremely hot while playing games.

its the newer generation so i dont expect it to die like the older ones. (not until the summer)

i took it apart and noticed its a blower design and its getting air from no where...

has anyone ran there ps3 without the top cover on?

i would hate to cut into something like that in the summer. would ruin resale value
tongue.gif

i was thinking about replacing thermal paste with TX-4

·
AMD s939 LVL 99+
2,996 Posts
Thats weird cause my 20GB PS3 from a month after they came out works great, and stays decently cool. Vertical or horizontal. If its getting REALLY hot, mebbe the heatsink isn't installed good. Or the PS3 is in a bad place.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post

Thats weird cause my 20GB PS3 from a month after they came out works great, and stays decently cool. Vertical or horizontal. If its getting REALLY hot, mebbe the heatsink isn't installed good. Or the PS3 is in a bad place.
Agreed. I have the 160gb new slim design and I've never had a problem with heat. I have mine on a vertical stand and make sure the bottom and back have good space for air. The only time it gets hot is if I set it down vertically and then I notice it actually gets "warm". (this is summer or winter)

You may have a faulty system or bad placement in the room, but other than that, I'm not too sure. Again, as reference, I bought mine used from a smoker so I hoped there wasn't any damage from that and after cleaning the outside the smell went away, but it never affected the system (to my knowledge). I run mine for hours and hours on average everyday so to say mine doesn't get as hot as you're describing may say something.

·
Registered
523 Posts
dust, dander, and pet hair can play a role here and the fact they use crap tim for their heat sinks could be the issue.

·
Banned
3,925 Posts
First few gens of PS3 + HEAT = sell the while it still works.

It will break, I put my hand to cut. ( I've worked in a video game store and I can confirm that every single day of work, I was receiving about 3-5 PS3 for repair due to overheat ) One day while in game it will crash and won't open anymore.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they bought it on black friday for $200.
so its the current generation.

i was just surprised how blocked the air was thats all.

i guess they dont want the air to flow too fast causing a huge dust build up over a short amount of time.
you guys should know. look at your heatsinks after 6 months
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Sorry, but what? So because the PS3 outputs heat during games, something's wrong? Sorry, but like any other computer device, it outputs heat, nothing strange with that.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post

Sorry, but what? So because the PS3 outputs heat during games, something's wrong? Sorry, but like any other computer device, it outputs heat, nothing strange with that.
... seriously? is that what you got?

i clearly stated it had a bad thermal design. i didnt say somethings defective you guys did.

for a computer case we wouldnt put a cover over air vents but they some how did.

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
They run fine two of my launch PS3s that have been ran hard still run just fine. My slim is also still doing fine after hrs of FF.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwaters View Post

... seriously? is that what you got?
i clearly stated it had a bad thermal design. i didnt say somethings defective you guys did.
for a computer case we wouldnt put a cover over air vents but they some how did.
Still think yours just might be defective.
rolleyes.gif

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
I doesn't seem that you understand the case being hot is a good thing.... It means that the heat is being transferred off of the chip set and somewhere else. Heat wont hurt the case or the plastic but it will damage the internal components.

People used to think that old CPU heatsinks getting hot was scary. No its a good thing it means the heat is being conducted away from the cpu. If the heatsink was cool there would be a problem.
thumb.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts