Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little article over on engadget looks at how much the PS3 is estimated to cost. As they mention though, it will probably be sold at a loss for around $600-700, but the thought of dropping close to a grand on a gaming system is nuts.

·
Registered
866 Posts
No, retail price for PS3 is 300-400$. No way it will cost 900$!
Let say that XBOX360 was 350$ I think. On ebay The price go up, think before you think!

·
Registered
819 Posts
These articles are ******ed and just try to send negative attention to companies. Sony has been around for years, do you honestly think they would release a console for kids costing as much as a used car?

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
You have to think of this. The PS3 is NOT being marketed as a Game Console. Its being marketed as a Home Entertainment Station; basically.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well assuming that those specs are what's going to be under the hood and the prices are correct AND you assume that they will try to sell if for $300-400 (which is still pricey mind you) then they are selling them for a HUGE loss which to me doesn't bode well for Sony.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Every console these days is sold at a huge loss (well Microsoft's and Sony's are, don't know about Nintendo since they are very secretive or maybe I dont care about them enough to dig around their finances
)

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

Every console these days is sold at a huge loss (well Microsoft's and Sony's are, don't know about Nintendo since they are very secretive or maybe I dont care about them enough to dig around their finances
)

Nintendo makes a profit off of everything they sell though, a.k.a. out of any console maker they actually make the most money...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Quote:

)

i have about 20 games for my ps2 20 X $50 = $1000

they got their money

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:

)

Yea, and sony already gives a FREE PS3, click here to get it free!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Their is no way that would be true, think about it $900 and 360 is what $350 or so what would you buy the 360. You would have to be so dumb to do that when its PS vs XBOX cuz Xbox would win. My guess is that it will be the same $ as the 360 came out...

Quote:

Originally Posted by eugenepvd

hahaha thats a good one, do you know any one with a PS3....

-Sparda

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by eugenepvd

First off that is not through Sony, so I wouldn't trust it. Two you usually have to buy a bunch of garbage plus give out your information like address and crap (enjoy the junk/spam mail). Plus, didn't you read the fine print on that offer:
"Actual Price of PS3 is valued at : YOUR SOUL"

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dolinn

First off that is not through Sony, so I wouldn't trust it. Two you usually have to buy a bunch of garbage plus give out your information like address and crap (enjoy the junk/spam mail). Plus, didn't you read the fine print on that offer:
"Actual Price of PS3 is valued at : YOUR SOUL"

We get it, its a JOKE!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hehe... I know... just bustin chops =P

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
That may be the cost of a peon buying those components (although I highly doubt it), but when Sony is buying thousands of those suckers, the price goes down big time.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I think the thread starter read the article wrong. It says it will cost Sony 900 to make. Like every other modern console, it will be sold at a loss and profits recouped in games and accessories. I'm sure the PS3 will be priced to compete with the 360. I wouldn't worry about it costing 900 dollars, though on eBay it will be well over that. Sony will also probably do a better job distributing enough consoles at launch than Microsoft did.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by StepsAscend

I think the thread starter read the article wrong. It says it will cost Sony 900 to make. Like every other modern console, it will be sold at a loss and profits recouped in games and accessories. I'm sure the PS3 will be priced to compete with the 360. I wouldn't worry about it costing 900 dollars, though on eBay it will be well over that. Sony will also probably do a better job distributing enough consoles at launch than Microsoft did.

Yshh. Notice that the title of the thread is "could cost", not "will definitly cost". I even say in the post that

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolinn

As they mention though, it will probably be sold at a loss for around $600-700, but the thought of dropping close to a grand on a gaming system is nuts.

I just trying to point out the fact that these system are becoming extremely costly. I wouldn't be surprised it Sony tried to sell them for $500-700, especially as Jori said, if they push it as a home theater system as oppose to a gaming system. It does more, so you need to pay more. I mean a Blu-Ray player is going to be expensive alone. They could very well release a prelimanry price in that range, see how the community reacts, and if it isn't total outrage, later raise the price slightly. I mean if I told people several years ago that they would have to pay 300 bucks for a portable gaming device, they would have thought I was nuts. And yet people are paying that much for a PSP. Just because you don't think it will happen, or rather don't want it to happen, doesn't mean it can't.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
I wonder what has more pre-release hype? The Conroe or the PS3....

And whose's loyal followers (Intel/Sony) will be dissapointed come release day?

·
Registered
577 Posts
sony said 400$ so help me god im not gonna pay 1$ more!
and i dont like xbox at all!!! because i hate microsoft

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omri

sony said 400$ so help me god im not gonna pay 1$ more!
and i dont like xbox at all!!! because i hate microsoft

Sony has never officially announced the price of the PS3. Anything about PS3 price is just speculation or rumor right now.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.