Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a launch 60GB console that has always had a fan-noise problem. The fan level kicks up to level 3 after a few minutes, even with the system in a very well ventilated location. Since the PS3 does not have any other issues, the problem therein lies with one of two things: 1) Fan, and 2) TIM. Since I'm not in the mood to order a new 19 blade replacement fan, I have some IC-Diamond that I can use to replace the stock TIM. However, I was curious to know if any of you had better results with fan noise after you replaced the thermal paste. Is it worth a shot? I don't want to crack open the PS3 just yet if it's not worth it.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grossebeaver View Post
Let me know how this turns out. Any idea if the more efficient heat transfer to the heatsink lowers the fan speed profile?
It SHOULD. Because the PS3 normally keeps its fan low and turns it up higher as needed if it gets hot. So this should keep it cooler and keep it from kicking the fan speed up as high and as often.

But it may not actually work out that ideally. But we shall see!

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the TIM on the die(s). Sony added way too much TIM; it was leaking off the chip. I replaced their stock paste with some IC-Diamond, but before I put the fan/heatsink back on the logic board I noticed that I had the dreaded 15-blade fan. I knew no matter what I did, my PS3 would be loud as hell until I replaced that crappy fan. Lo and behold, replacing the TIM did nothing to the fan noise, so I ordered a spare 19-blade fan from eBay to get it to shut up.

I've attached some pics from the disassembly and to show how much paste Sony initially put on:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
ew....sticky icky

You sure it TIM?

-----------
Strange that replacing the TIM with IC7 or in a better method didn't work.

So looks like getting the 19 blade fans is the way to go eh.

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiden911 View Post
ew....sticky icky

You sure it TIM?

-----------
Strange that replacing the TIM with IC7 or in a better method didn't work.

So looks like getting the 19 blade fans is the way to go eh.
Yeah. I've attached a diagram below of the difference in the fans. The top fan (19-blade) circulates the air properly.

The bottom fan (15-blade) does not work properly, and recirculates the hot air around the blades. It was faulty by design, and unfortunately it's what I have in my system.

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Though this is unlikely to interest anyone anymore with the abundance of the slims, I recently received a PM about what my results were after changing the fan to a 19 blade replacement. The fan 'upgrade' did not change anything. The PS3 still sounded like a freight train and it was sold to cover the cost of a PS3 slim. Case closed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well rather than starting another thread i thought i just comment on this one.

After updating my PS3 (40gig fat) i fancied another play through God of war 3so within the first 10 minutes the Fan kicks in and it is doing my head in! the only time the fan doesnt go full whack is when there are only about 10 enemies on screen anymore than that its obviously using more Processing power increasing heat and bam the fan comes on!

I had a quick look online it looks like a wide spread issue due to the new firmware update anyone else notice it?.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts