Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
What would be the point of this (unless you ran linux on the PS3). The PS3 is in a very nice case already... And I don't it would be worth losing warranty over...

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Its probably very possible to do, but either you would have to go ghetto and like tape or strap the mobo to the case or actually mod the case for its screw holes.

If your PS3 is new or generally newish - I wouldn't attempt to even open up the PS3 (or a 360 for that matter). This is something I would only do if I'm outside of my warranty and don't give a flip.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I would say yes. Very easy if you are creative. I would say some bondo or plaster is gonna be needed. Stand off screws or long bolts for the PS3 motherboard Re-wire a few things such as the dvd drive. Either add push buttons for the reset and eject or mod the touch sensitive buttons into the face of the new PC. Rewire the USB ports and it will be done.

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Wow, never thought about this, seeing as my PS3 is out of warranty if it was MY ps3 truly, I would do this mod. Seeing as I could have better air flow. But its my brothers.

Just remember, how you will set everything up, really. The cables inside and all would be very hard to do on a PS3, remember the disc drive and such. It would be a huge project.

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
I was thinking of putting a ps3, xbox 360, wii, and a mini-itx computer into one tower case.. the xbox 360 and wii i don't care too much about break since they are relatively cheap to replace.. however, my ps3 is still in warranty so i don't want to mess with it yet :\\

BUT! the second that warranty goes out, i'll be stripping them all apart. muhahha

·
Banned
741 Posts
i would deem it pretty much impossible. I have broken down various hardware revisions of the ps3 and they all have the same internal structure. The way the mother board is set up, if you were to try to sit the motherboard on standoffs in the standard fashion, the connection to the psu, the connections for the blue ray drive, and the wifi connection port and the “power on†button all would be "behind" the motherboard facing the motherboard tray. Then on top of that, both the CPU and the GPU only have two mounting holes for a “heat sink†so creating a custom cooling solution would take some pretty impressive tooling and manufacturing. While I admit putting the ps3 inside a case similar to this -PC-XBO1- for the 360 would be awesome, I really think the cost and effort would outweigh the benefits.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The case would have to be completely custom. It just isn't worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts