Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, ever since MW2 came out , PS3's all around the world have been failing at a rapid pace. Most of the Problems have been that the Blu Ray drives have been failing, and System Freezing after every match or during one. PlayStation forums have a Thread up about this here

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...ead.id=4167541 (9 pages long)

Has anyone had anything weird happen to their PS3 while playing this game. Please reply if you have. This will help us to sort things out and maybe get the Sony community on the forums to Mail Sony about this issue. So far its been Hardware issues that have been magnified since playing MW2. I got my PS3 on black Friday, and only have this game for PC. Lots of speculation is that there something with the Coding with the game that is causing problems. Yes I know it sounds strange but check out the forum for yourself.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Happened to me about a Year Ago, sent it on a Monday, got it back on Friday.

The Blu-Ray Reader just would read anything. No Biggie. My brother has been massacring our PS3, he puts in a decent +6 Hours on it, a DAY.

I guess it might be a bad batch that all these PS3 are dying from.

·
Banned
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockdownx1x
View Post

Happened to me about a Year Ago, sent it on a Monday, got it back on Friday.

The Blu-Ray Reader just would read anything. No Biggie. My brother has been massacring our PS3, he puts in a decent +6 Hours on it, a DAY.

I guess it might be a bad batch that all these PS3 are dying from.

Yeah, but im more so talking about MW2 accelerating these failures. Which is happening to alot of people over at Playstation.com

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got a 80gb PS3 and I've had a couple freezes in the lobby room/multiplayer screen but after the recent patches, it's been fine.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Every so often a hyped game comes out you'll read about a lot of system hardware failures. I remember MGS4 and others had this effect. Maybe it has something to do with extended amount of gaming periods, PS3 not in a good position for heat, etc. I have had a disc read failure before but I haven't had any 6 hour straight gaming sessions before.

·
Banned
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heady
View Post

Every so often a hyped game comes out you'll read about a lot of system hardware failures. I remember MGS4 and others had this effect. Maybe it has something to do with extended amount of gaming periods, PS3 not in a good position for heat, etc. I have had a disc read failure before but I haven't had any 6 hour straight gaming sessions before.

True, but these occurrences have happened when they start the console up cold and play a match of MW2 and it causes problems going right into it. Its all in that forum. I agree though, who can play a game for 6 hours straight?? lol

I remember I thought Dead Rising was a Console killer for the 360, i was wrong but this situation is a little different.

Speculation is the new firmware is having a bad effect aswell. I remember when I updated my ps3 and couldn't sync my controllers lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkofdooM
View Post

I think the same question was asked when Batman: AA came out. My theory is, new game comes out, people play it for insane amounts of time with little to no breaks, and increased hardware failure follows

That's my thinking. Occasionally it'll be a firmware release. I know there was one but can't remember which one. I found out about it after I had updated. I was relieved I didn't get plagued.

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I think the same question was asked when Batman: AA came out. My theory is, new game comes out, people play it for insane amounts of time with little to no breaks, and increased hardware failure follows

+1 for common sense.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Same exact thing happened when COD4 came out. Everyone played it excessively, and then when they're PS3s died, they blamed it on the game.

Nothing to see here folks... move along.

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
The problem is that MW2 is one of the biggest games of the year, and possibly on all of PS3. Statistically speaking, the failure rate will go up accordingly since there are more people playing it. Thus, more people will end up reporting failed PS3's, and so on

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also believe that its caused by people playing the game for a prolonged amount of time without any breaks. I usually play for around 2-3 hours before I go on a 45min-1hr break to let my PS3 cool down.

No problems encountered yet !

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I had my 80GB freeze on me many times, uncharted 1 was beat 2 times on my ps3 and both times it froze ONCE at the EXACT same point.Uncharted 2 was beat twice too and froze the second time near chapter 20.Sacred 2: Fallen angel froze like 5 or 6 times but it seems the game is buggy as it ran very slowly.I use it like once a week, but when i use it it gets hammered(12+ hours, beat RE5 first time playing on 13 hours).Had a couple more freezing in other games(cod 4 i think once).

EDIT: just remembered, the other day froze when i pressed X to play a DVD, restarted the system and the DVD played fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts